How to check if system protection is enabled on a drive

I am using the following code in my visual basic script to enable system protection in windows 10 and it works perfectly fine. I am looking for a visual basic code that checks if protection on particular drive is enabled or not?

and Sets Max usage to 15%. 

If Not WScript.Arguments.Named.Exists("elevate") Then
  CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShellExecute WScript.FullName _
    , WScript.ScriptFullName & " /elevate", "", "runas", 1
  WScript.Quit
End If
Dim oSR

Set oSR = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!root/default:SystemRestore")

oSR.Enable("C:" & "\")

If someone can highlight the version of windows this code is compatible for, that would be great. :)

Edited by maniG

I am not sure what you want but using this reference  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa378858(v=vs.85).aspx

I put together this script run it and see if it what you need.

Dim d,oWMI, oSR, colItem, objItem
Set oWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
Set oSR = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!root/default:SystemRestore")
Set colItem = oWMI.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_LogicalDisk WHERE DriveType=3")
On Error Resume Next 
  For Each objItem In colItem 
   d = objItem.Name & "\"
   If (oSR.Enable(d)) = 0 Then
    wscript.Echo "Success" & vbTab & d
   Else 
    wscript.Echo "Failed " & vbTab & d
   End If
  Next

To check if system protection is enabled, I would probably use the registry to determine if RPSessionInterval is greater than 0.

In a batch file to enable system protection on the OS drive with a maximum 15% size I would try this As administrator:

@ECHO OFF
SET "rKey=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore"
SET "rVal=RPSessionInterval"
SET "dVal="
FOR /F "EOL=H Tokens=2*" %%# IN ('REG Query "%rKey%" /V "%rVal%" 2^>NUL'
) DO SET/A "dVal=%%$"
IF NOT DEFINED dVal (ECHO ERROR! & PAUSE & EXIT/B)
IF %dVal% EQU 0 (
	WMIC /NameSpace:\\root\default PATH SystemRestore CALL Enable %SystemDrive%)
VSSADMIN Resize Shadowstorage /For=%SystemDrive% /On=%SystemDrive% /MaxSize=15%%

This is untested, (I am not telling you to change scripting language, just showing you a method of detection of the state of the mechanism).

On 6/16/2017 at 9:37 PM, gunsmokingman said:

I am not sure what you want but using this reference  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa378858(v=vs.85).aspx

I put together this script run it and see if it what you need.

Dim d,oWMI, oSR, colItem, objItem
Set oWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
Set colItem = oWMI.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_LogicalDisk WHERE DriveType=3")
On Error Resume Next 
  For Each objItem In colItem 
   d = objItem.Name & "\"
   If (oSR.Enable(d)) = 0 Then
    wscript.Echo "Success" & vbTab & d
   Else 
    wscript.Echo "Failed " & vbTab & d
   End If
  Next

Hey thankyou for the answer. I have made changes to the code. Basically before we create a restore point, system restore must be enabled and I wanted to know a way to check if it is enabled or not.

10 hours ago, Yzöwl said:

To check if system protection is enabled, I would probably use the registry to determine if RPSessionInterval is greater than 0.

In a batch file to enable system protection on the OS drive with a maximum 15% size I would try this As administrator:

@ECHO OFF
SET "rKey=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore"
SET "rVal=RPSessionInterval"
SET "dVal="
FOR /F "EOL=H Tokens=2*" %%# IN ('REG Query "%rKey%" /V "%rVal%" 2^>NUL'
) DO SET/A "dVal=%%$"
IF NOT DEFINED dVal (ECHO ERROR! & PAUSE & EXIT/B)
IF %dVal% EQU 0 (
	WMIC /NameSpace:\\root\default PATH SystemRestore CALL Enable %SystemDrive%)
VSSADMIN Resize Shadowstorage /For=%SystemDrive% /On=%SystemDrive% /MaxSize=15%%

This is untested, (I am not telling you to change scripting language, just showing you a method of detection of the state of the mechanism).

That seems to be a good way to check. So far what I have done is my script will attempt to create a restore point and in case of error it will call a function that will enable protection and then again create a restore point or will exit in case of success. Thank you for your help.