PCI-to-PCIe-adapter work great!

Hi,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:

i had to solve the problem, that there are never enough PCI slots on interesting boards.

This is now solved by using PCI-to-PCIe-adapters, with great success!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long Story:

I now own this AM4-board:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Killer SLI/

It has two SLI-enabled PCIe-slots for the dual-GPU-stunt (this is necessary, as it is too expensive to NOT Dual-Boot with W10 or Linux).

It has PS/2-ports for mouse and keyboard, which, as RLoew will tell you as well, is very convenient.

It has some PCIe-slots with good Placement.

A lot of bells and whistles, but for the moment i ignore that... (RGB looks nice...)

So, what i needed, were TWO PCI-slots, one for a PCI-SATA-controller with W98SE-support, and one for a card like the SB Audigy PCI.

First, i bought this PCI to PCIe Adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Card-PEX1PCI1/dp/B0024CV3SA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1500571316&sr=8-5&keywords=PCI+to+PCIe+adapter

I installed it on the first PCIe-slot, and connected it to power (had to buy some sata-to-molex-adapter - prepare for ugly wiring...).

Then, i got out my SATA-controller with VIA VT6421(A) chipset, which, fortunately, is low profile:

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Controller-Software-Component-SD-VIA-1A2S/dp/B002EL4RL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500571787&sr=1-1&keywords=Syba+1+Port+ATA133+IDE+and+2+Port+SATA+II+PCI+Controller+Card+with+Software+RAID+Component

I removed the slot-metal, put the controller into the adapter (can't fix the card, but the PCI-slot seems to hold just good enough), connected a SATA II SSD, and tested with Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, and Windows 10 Pro 64bit 17.03.

Works! I can boot any OS from that Controller (at least W10 and Ubuntu)!

Then i bought another one, and put in the Soundblaster Audigy Player ("Gamer") PCI.

Sound on W10 and Ubuntu! Works!

The full-height Audigy Player sits in the machine in an elevated way (Fixation-Point 3 cm above the screw-hole, which is a lot), so i still have to think about some way to secure it. Dencorso hinted at a nice Adapter in the next post, which i bought immediately, but unfortunately, you need a reeeeeeally big Tower, to be able to use it... :ph34r:

But the all-important audio-out sits still below the Fixation-Point. Hey, lucky! :thumbup

So, from now on, missing PCI-Slots for important add-in cards is not a (big) problem any more, as long as there are enough and well-positioned PCIe-1x-slots.

(What does NOT work yet, is installing w98se on this AM4-board - i'm working on it - but that's another story... it does not look good at the moment... <_<)

Cheers...

Edited by ragnargd
corrections... success-story...

I have a MSI 970A SLI Krait. It will support SATA Drives using my SATA Patch.

My SATA Patch will support most PCI-E SATA Cards as long as they are not RAID-only or AHCI-only. The jMicron Controllers appear to work.

11 hours ago, rloew said:

My SATA Patch will support most PCI-E SATA Cards as long as they are not RAID-only or AHCI-only. The jMicron Controllers appear to work.

Interesting. With which chipsets?