Using real-mode (aka "DOS")-LAN-Drivers in W98SE?

Regarding Windows, best take a look at the Oemsetup.inf  and the .nif-files files that come with the different RT*ND.DOS drivers. Realtek offers four different ones,  *=E, G, M or S. As I have only Android next thee weeks (holidays), I cannot do much :cool:

I did some further experiments with a RTL8136 Revision 7 NIC.

For reasons that are unclear, RTGND.DOS reported an internal error with the RTL8136. So you need the RTEND.DOS Driver File for the RTL8136.

The NetrtgRM.inf file can be edited by replacing 8168 with 8136 everywhere and replacing RTGND with RTEND everywhere.

• 3 months later...

Not using that card but I wanted to confirm that DOS ODI drivers do work in 95C. The card I'm using is the Broadcom 4401/B0 chip. the only extra steps before install I had to do was add the driver B44.com and support file LSL.com and optionally ODIPKT.com to the Autoexec.bat and during the setup select existing ODI driver.

• 1 year later...

Hi there!

The NDIS2 drivers consist of OEMSETUP.INF and the .DOS file for your network card.
You install it via the Network Control Panel, adding an Adapter, and then using the Have Disk button pointing to the INF file (not with Device Manager).

Sadly, there's no guarantee that it will work, NDIS2 drivers are very, very picky. They also slow down the boot time, as they are loaded using the "net start" command that Windows 98 adds automatically to AUTOEXEC.BAT, before the OS is actually loaded.

That's the way it can use the NDIS2 drivers, they were meant to be used under DOS.