Converting XP POS UPD to run on 2003 SRV 32 Bit

Destro

I remember there was some people like tomasz86 and Blackwingcat who were successful in porting a lot of XP updates to win 2k and 2k Server after it died.  

I wonder how hard it would be to port XP pos ready updates to 2003 server 32bit.  The code between  2003 5.2 and  XP 5.1 seems a lot closer than  XP 5.1 and 2k 5.0 to me.  

Would this be worth doing considering no one uses 2003 server 32 bit.  I think there is even less 2003/XP 64-bit users though.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2017 at 12:20 AM, Destro said:

I remember there was some people like tomasz86 and Blackwingcat who were successful in porting a lot of XP updates to win 2k and 2k Server after it died.  

I wonder how hard it would be to port XP pos ready updates to 2003 server 32bit.  The code between  2003 5.2 and  XP 5.1 seems a lot closer than  XP 5.1 and 2k 5.0 to me.  

Would this be worth doing considering no one uses 2003 server 32 bit.  I think there is even less 2003/XP 64-bit users though.

The key difference is that in case of XP and 2000 you are porting down while in case of XP and 2003 you would be porting up. The later release date of the updates does not matter here, it is just the system file structure that is simply older, so the XP files will very likely not work in 2003 at all. Of course, there are exceptions where the files are either very similar or even identical / shared between the two OSs, but in most cases porting would be impossible (without higher level modifications, e.g. by decompiling the files and implementing the security fixes yourself).

Just to give an example, the largest benefit of porting XP files to Windows 2000 is better software compatibility achieved by adding missing APIs. There is no such thing in case of XP and 2003, because 2003 already has all the APIs from XP in it.