XP32, Windows Update & svchost 100%: OTHER solutions?

Tomcat76

I have actually installed Windows Installer 4.5 from a downloaded redistributable yesterday.  Installation dialogs from MSI installations had a blank title bar and blank buttons; only the description (text) was visible.  Installing WI 4.5 seems to have fixed that, and Windows Update is still working for me.

That computer has the Word and Excel Viewers installed plus the compatibility pack.  It used to have Office 2003 running in the past but that's been replaced with OpenOffice.

15 minutes ago, Destro said:

Jaklaz< i can reproduce it, and I can follow my own instructions, so I'm not fixing it.  Fileformatconverters is the name of the office 2007 compatibility pack.

Ok :), that's fine :thumbup, it is just myself then that believes that this sentence is NOT English :w00t::

8. Run windows update and reapply the some of the patches patches you installed in step 4. It's not all.

let alone the 3 patches to be reapplied in step 7 and that are NOT listed in step 5 :ph34r::

:

5.  Uninstall Office Compatibility pack sp3. ( just the SP3 don't uninstall the compatibility pack.) SP3 should be below the compatibility pack when you view all updates.)**The converter pack listed above it will disappear but it's really not gone***

7.  Manually apply the 3 patches in step 5.

... clearly my bad, sorry :(.

Now I have to go, I need to look for the some of the patches patches ...

... and it's not all, of course...

jaclaz

I have the solution.  I figured out how to fix it.  This only solves the problem with XP and office 2003 With the 2007 compatibility pack. causing SVChost to redline to 100% for hours.  This does not fix other installs.

There is an Actual update order.  I know it sounds totally ridiculous but its true.  The problem is not the 2007 compatibility pack.  It is the compatibility pack SP3.

1. Install clean Office with clean SP3.  I haven't tested Hotfix integration into the source.

2. Run windows update and only install the office 2003 updates/ Alternatively if you have a 100% accurate list you could do it manually.

3. Now install Fileformatconverters.exe

4. Install Office 2007 compatibility pack SP3.

5.  Uninstall Office Compatibility pack sp3. ( just the SP3 don't uninstall the compatibility pack.) SP3 should be below the compatibility pack when you view all updates.)**The converter pack listed above it will disappear but it's really not gone***

6. Run windows update and install the updates for just the compatibility pack.

7.  Download kb3127894, kb3203438, kb3191897

8. Install Office converter pack  2007 SP3.

9.  Manually apply the 3 patches in step 7.

10. Run windows update and reapply the some of the patches patches you installed in step 4. It's not all.

2 hours ago, Destro said:

4. Install Office 2007 compatibility pack SP3.

10. Run windows update and reapply the some of the patches patches you installed in step 4. It's not all.

Now it is MUCH better.

jaclaz

Destro... You are on to something!

Earlier today, I found out that on the problematic PC here, Windows Update was working fine but Microsoft Update still wasn't.  It screwed up in the way I described in my initial post.

After uninstalling the hotfixes for the Compatibility Pack (redundant step?), SP3 for the Compatibility Pack and the Compatibility Pack itself, Microsoft Update finally worked as expected!

Tomorrow I will try to reinstall the Compatibility Pack per your instructions.  I'll keep you posted.

I haven't finished my testing yet, but here are a few observations.

Having the Office Compatibility Pack (fileformatconverters.exe) installed, approximately doubles the amount of time Microsoft Update needs to search for updates (about 2 minutes total), but it runs through.

Installing SP3 for the Compatibility Pack borks Microsoft Update.  Uninstalling SP3 fixes Microsoft Update again.

I CANNOT confirm that uninstalling SP3 for the Compatibility Pack also removes the entry for the main Office Compatibility Pack in Control Panel>Software; the entry is still there as expected.

Also, when visiting Microsoft Update after uninstalling SP3 for the Compatibility Pack, I do not get updates for the Compatibility Pack other than the SP3.  The only other updates I'm offered are for Word Viewer, Excel Viewer and Powerpoint Viewer.  I guess I'm not supposed to install these (to fix Microsoft Update), so I'll just move on to Step 7 in Destro's guidelines.

The three hotfixes Destro mentioned in "Step 7" won't install if SP3 for the Compatibility Pack is not installed first.  This seems logical, seeing those are post-SP3 fixes.

What I did was:

1) install SP3 for the Compatibility Pack and verified that Microsoft Update was broken again

2) install the three hotfixes (KB3127894, KB3203438 and KB3191897) manually

Now Microsoft Update is working fine.

So I guess the conclusion is that SP3 for the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack exhibits the same problem IE is suffering from: you need to install the latest update(s) manually.  Pfff... ;-P