2 MB for all attachments in 2017, really?

ruthan

Sorry but sometimes is better use picture and text data, i dont mind some limitation per 1 image size, but 2 MB for all attachment in 2017 is non sense.. More post, more problems, even when you trying keep attachments smaller. Perhaps there should be bonus for donators, or possiblity to buy more space.. I could use my Dropbox and link files, but keep data here would be more persistent.  Something like no *.bmp and 100 KB for one file and 300 KB for 1 post limitation should be enough.

Edited by ruthan

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends upon the hosting plan and how much space is available overall. Then you need to factor in that this all adds up. For my website, Lunarsoft; I need to factor in that the forums, wiki, and frontpage all count. Then you have to factor in that any images for example that can be hosted on the forums and wiki count towards that overall total. Split all of that up between members for each software and it adds up fast.

That's why many websites say to use mirrors when possible. Web space is not a cheap thing for many people, whether it's 2017 or not.

You also have to keep in mind how huge this site is.

The database itself is in the gigabytes so it's huge in itself and as Tarun said, it depends on the plan. MSFN isn't cheap to run and even though like you said, it's 2017, it still costs to run this place and without donations, it makes it hard for xper to keep it up and going. Whatever doesn't come from donations or ad-revenue, comes out of his pocket.

So even though it is an inconvenience, it's preferred that you use external hosting for images or file sharing. There are over 100,000 registered users on this site and if they were all active and took the 2MBs of space, that would equal over 200 gigabytes worth of extra hosting space aside from the site itself. It's just not practical. So imagine if we even bumped it up to 10MBs per user and many users took advantage of that, we'd never be able to afford it. And that's just hosting, I'm not even talking about bandwidth usage here...people loading up images on our own hosting would take even more bandwidth to load everything which puts stress on the server and some providers limit how much bandwidth you're allowed. I remember the days of Bulbagarden, long, long ago while I was still somewhat interested in Pokémon, and before they moved to a different hosting provider.....the up-time was TERRIBLE and most of the time you were greeted with an error message stating that the board was not accessible at this time because of "too much activity".

So unfortunately, even in 2017, it has to be this way. I'd rather our site have 98-99.999% up-time rather than saving an extra step of having to use external hosting providers and throttle our site down to where you may or may not be greeted with a DoS screen.

• Tommy locked this topic