(failed) Ryzen and Fall of the Roman Empire... sort of...

ragnargd

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

And AGAIN, there is NO PATCH whatever in Usher's method.

IT DOES NOT INVOLVE ANY PATCH, only some minor modifications to SYSTEM.CB (only useful in Safe Mode).

jaclaz

And for everone to see: I'm the source of this fake news, because i didn't read enough.

What i used was/is xrayers method, that involves w98iopat.exe (which DOES patch a binary, in this case, IO.SYS)

I correct this in my old posts whereever possible, but unfortunately, once the djin is out of the bottle...

Edited by ragnargd

2 hours ago, ragnargd said:

And for everone to see: I'm the source of this fake news, because i didn't read enough.

What i used was/is xrayers method, that involves w98iopat.exe (which DOES patch a binary, in this case, IO.SYS)

I correct this in my old posts whereever possible, but unfortunately, once the djin is out of the bottle...

We know about that thread... the w98iopat.exe was what we didn't want thus the so called fake news "Usher" method. :blink:

As Usher would say, "Yeah!".

:thumbup

Edited by 98SE

14 hours ago, ragnargd said:

For anyone interested, and capable of reading german: https://www.cbo-do.de/

They have a lot of old stuff, and by my impression, have a good quality control, and are a reliable trader. Or i was lucky...

I've dealt with them before on eBay. Scored a couple of Gigabyte GA-G1975X boards. Have one set up here somewhere with a 3.73GHz CPU + 8GB of Kingston HyperX DDR2 RAM and running Windows 95/98SE. This was part of my "Intel chipset testing" I've mentioned in other threads.

Would anyone want to use Unraid with hardware pass-through to run Windows 98?

Or is the objective in this case to have windows 98 running native without any virtualization at all?

Its working, no paid patches needed, it just working, emulated HW is most common, issues could be some videomode support, i didnt tested it so much, but Unraid / KVM i thing have sometimes some issues with bad videomodes detection and adjustment, but this not nothing unfixable by further QEMU or Unraids updates.

I didnt any performace test, but seems quicker that physical machines with ancient drivers for some tasks..

Some Video:

Edited by ruthan

• 1 month later...

For now I can send you a copy with the Optical Drive code disabled so you may be able to use a DOS AHCI CDROM Driver.
The current version supports Drives between  10GB and 144PB. Specify the number of AHCI Ports per controller, usually 4 or 6.
The price is $21.00 US.

• 1 month later...