ASRock ConRoe865PE --> just for laughs...

ragnargd

Hi,

when i saw that ruthan owns the ASRock ConRoe865PE, i thought "well, i want to have one as well!".

None to find on ebay, or elsewhere. Gosh...

But then, using the old technique of typo-squatting, i found where they are. They are not in heaven. They are in China. All 211 of them. Duh...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/asrock-C-onroe865PE-775-High-quality-perfect-test/32808945751.html

I don't know if i would recommend buying there... but for some spare coins...

Cheers...

(see at ASRock: http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/ConRoe865PE/index.asp#osW98)

(Interesting lists at our friends at vogon:

AGP on socket 775, incl. Core 2: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=50665

PCIe on Socket 478: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=50655 )

Edited by ragnargd
some links added

The big difference is, the ConRoe865PE can use 4GB of Ram, while the 775i65G can only use 2GB.

That qualifies the ConRoe865PE a little bit more for use with W10 64bit, and helps with XP as well.

The two more PCI-slots are not essential.

Otherwise, it's essentially the same board, just a tad older.

If ASRock would have given the 775i65G just two more memory-slots, it would have been just perfect... :yes:

(Although I'll buy neither most probably... three PCs and two Laptops with w98se are enough for me... unless i open up a club for legacy-LAN-parties...)

Edited by ragnargd

I never had them, but by parameters there is one better board from Gigabyte -GA-8I865PE775-G-RH , rev 3 or 4.9, rev 2 is not so good.

BTW with shipment, i have paid for my Conroe 50E twice, one board died, i meanwhile i have bought 2 temporarily boards..

Edited by ruthan

8 hours ago, ragnargd said:

The big difference is, the ConRoe865PE can use 4GB of Ram, while the 775i65G can only use 2GB.

That qualifies the ConRoe865PE a little bit more for use with W10 64bit, and helps with XP as well.

The two more PCI-slots are not essential.

Otherwise, it's essentially the same board, just a tad older.

If ASRock would have given the 775i65G just two more memory-slots, it would have been just perfect... :yes:

(Although I'll buy neither most probably... three PCs and two Laptops with w98se are enough for me... unless i open up a club for legacy-LAN-parties...)

Why go for these?  I think that AGP/PCIe hybrid motherboard is a better option for 98SE.  Dual Graphics option and if you include PCI slot that's three types of graphics cards for 98SE choice.  Some have 4GB or someone BIOS hacked them.  I wouldn't use Vista, 7, or 10 on these.  At least 8GB or 16GB memory to even consider those newer OS but it's still good for DOS, 3.1, 98SE, 2K, and XP.  I'd use a more powerful machine for XP, Vista, 7, and 10.

6 hours ago, ruthan said:

I never had them, but by parameters there is one better board from Gigabyte -GA-8I865PE775-G-RH , rev 3 or 4.9, rev 2 is not so good.

Nice find! Except for some shady yandex-site, there is no hint that mobo ever hit the market... although it is mentioned on vogons...

On 14.8.2017 at 5:26 AM, 98SE said:

Why go for these?  I think that AGP/PCIe hybrid motherboard is a better option for 98SE.  Dual Graphics option and if you include PCI slot that's three types of graphics cards for 98SE choice.  Some have 4GB or someone BIOS hacked them.  I wouldn't use Vista, 7, or 10 on these.  At least 8GB or 16GB memory to even consider those newer OS but it's still good for DOS, 3.1, 98SE, 2K, and XP.  I'd use a more powerful machine for XP, Vista, 7, and 10.

I own three such boards, with the VIA chipset (ASRock 4coreDual etc.)... I got them working with w98se, xp and w10 just right, but still... some alternative would have been nice, right?

The intel chipset is just better to handle, native drivers directly from Gigabyte and such...

If i could get my hands on one of those GA-8I865PE775-G-RH ... :blushing: <-- corrected, because to Quad-Support...

(still, some chinese trader hoarding this ConRoe865PE board in his backyard, trying to sell it for an absolutely too high price, even if you consider collectors, and then with that typo... it remains funny, even on second sight...)

Edited by ragnargd
I like Quadcores...

Just 1 table from my archive, sorry i made screenshot, before i saw that there is sometimes text in czech and im lazy..

OldFullySupportedOldMBSpawnList.png

Conroe has problem only with Sata implementation, or at least with sata III drivers, i know that controller is only SATA 1 and there are IDE to SAta adapters..
But truth is Sata III drivers are cheapest, i today ordered Sata II intel 320 SSD from noname Asia seller and it was more expensive that new one and no warranty at all..

About memory, it warry probably depens on GPU, but i have only 3040 memory after boot with Geforce 6600 GPU, i has 128 or 256 i dont know..

Edited by ruthan

1 hour ago, ruthan said:

Just 1 table from my archive, sorry i made screenshot, before i saw that there is sometimes text in czech and im lazy..

OldFullySupportedOldMBSpawnList.png

Add PCI and ISA slots count.

Floppy controller: 1 or 2 Floppy drives BIOS support

Serial Port

Parallel Port

P2 ports should be PS/2 ports?

Add USB 3 ports also.

DOS support

W10 support

Edited by 98SE

No ISA on any of these board... PS 2 i thing that all have 2 ports, it was standart. No USB 3 on any of this boards.
Win 10 - none has official support.
DOS all are running dos.
Serial port - all have at least one.
Paralller port - i think that it is really dead port for good.. It was good for DOS data transfer and before USB..

Edited by ruthan

10 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Eh.. what's so great about it?

DFI Lanparty 875P-T is the king of the 8xx chipset + LGA775 boards. :angel

Right... :rolleyes:

... BUT ...

... if i had put on my glasses, that premature declaration of love would not have happened to me. No Quad-support on BOTH the GA-8I865PE775-G-RH and the DFI board.

The ConRoe865PE still stands out for AGP plus Quad-Support and 4GB Ram, only bested by VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra for SATA II and DDR2 Support.

Edited by ragnargd

DFI Lanparty 875P-T is the king of the 8xx chipset + LGA775 boards.

I assume that there is Marwell GB network driver, but even than, why is better than Conroe feature list is pretty same? Has it better bios, or what?

Edited by ruthan

9 hours ago, ragnargd said:

... BUT ...

... if i had put on my glasses, that premature declaration of love would not have happened to me. No Quad-support on BOTH the GA-8I865PE775-G-RH and the DFI board.

The ConRoe865PE still stands out for AGP plus Quad-Support and 4GB Ram, only bested by VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra for SATA II and DDR2 Support.

Best MB if it exists.

Quad Core Support and 8GB/16GB Ram with SATA2 for 9X/ME

Otherwise Dual Core with 4GB/8GB and 2 DMA ISA Slots, AGP, PCIe, and 2 PCI for DOS/3.X/9X/ME

Any update on SB Aud 1 PCI W98 test result on the AM4 Ryzen?

9 hours ago, ragnargd said:

... BUT ...

46 minutes ago, ruthan said:

I assume that there is Marwell GB network driver, but even than, why is better than Conroe feature list is pretty same? Has it better bios, or what?

I see.. I didn't take into account the Quad support, so I suppose the ConRoe board has some degree of advantage there. However Windows 9x cannot use these other cores anyway, so a single-core P4 with a higher raw clock speed should still be better for 9x than a Quad. Also, if the ConRoe board doesn't support DDR2 then I'm not certain how much having a 1066MHz FSB CPU is any better than 800MHz FSB. Bottom line, if you're looking for 9x performance then any advantage would be negligible, and you could use a 9xx chipset board that also supports DDR2 and have a better result. If you're thinking of other OS such as XP, then there are far, far, more performance-capable systems for it than dropping all the way back to Quad + DDR1.

Also, based on reports I've seen I'm not certain ASRock has the same level of quality as Gigabyte or DFI but I've never used ASRock so I don't know. :unsure: