Win 98x command.com black screen, IPS LCD refresh rate problem?

ruthan

Hello,
i have annoying problem with i dont know from old machines, its that when i start command.com in safe mode and i getting black screen.. My have 2 suspicion bug in Nvidia unofficial drivers or problem with LCD of refresh rate detection, i heard that that Dos is written for 70Hz i have 60Hz HP LP2475w connected to DVI and Dell 2007PF.

33 minutes ago, ruthan said:

Hello,
i have annoying problem with i dont know from old machines, its that when i start command.com in safe mode and i getting black screen.. My have 2 suspicion bug in Nvidia unofficial drivers or problem with LCD of refresh rate detection, i heard that that Dos is written for 70Hz i have 60Hz HP LP2475w connected to DVI and Dell 2007PF.

I heard that it was written for 72 Hertz, instead :unsure:.

It would make more sense since 36, like 60, has more integer divisors than 35. :dubbio:

jaclaz

I heard that it was written for 72 Hertz, instead .

It would make more sense since 36, like 60, has more integer divisors than 35. 

And magic solution, or only new monitor is can help me? I have old big CRT in the garage in 1 my lair, but i want to give it change, when Win98 would be up and running..

Maybe as in old days, i can try overclock monitor by powerstrip or something like that, i did it for CRT.. when 70,75Hz were killing my eyes and 5,10Hz more were nice.

BTW what lines as this in autoexec / config, i never need to understand it, think about it, its Windows 98 related, or its Dos thing not related to my problem?
deviceHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)

Other strange this that if not wrong is not working even with standart PCI driver..

Edited by ruthan

The non-UEFI BIOS and DOS use IBM Mode which is 70Hz. My ex-girlfriends TV did not support it so she could not see the BIOS or DOS during Boot.
I added an Overlay to her Multi-Boot Profile to switch to an usable Mode Setting before booting DOS.

Possibly. You still would not be able to see your BIOS screens though.

See Bios and Dos mode from Windows 98 is working, but i start command.com from Windows 98 im getting black screen, even safe mode. Maybe its drivers bug, VBE drivers has thing as known bug.. so it could be same with UND 82.69..

Edited by ruthan

VBE does not work with COMMAND.COM.

Safe Mode does not use Installed Drivers so neither VBE nor 82.69 are a factor.
It can use limited Drivers specified in SYSTEM.CB. This allows SVGA and XGA, but not on all Video Cards.

Use the original SYSTEM.CB File for Safe Mode.

Safe Mode does not use Installed Drivers so neither VBE nor 82.69 are a factor.

There other know limitation of 82.69? Couldnt be that safe mode bug be fixed? 

It can use limited Drivers specified in SYSTEM.CB. This allows SVGA and XGA, but not on all Video Cards.

Use the original SYSTEM.CB File for Safe Mode.

I never did anything with SYSTEM.CD, how to use it for Safer mode?

Safe Mode does not use the 82.69 Driver so there is nothing to fix.

SYSTEM.CB can be modified to provide SVGA or XGA Graphics in Safe Mode. Some Video Cards will crash if you open COMMAND.COM.

Safe Mode does not use the 82.69 Driver so there is nothing to fix.

Or thanks, sorry i didnt get original wording..

So were could be problem with command.com in safe mode? Its clean installation, 2 different, both with Geforce 7950GT or with VBE (it means Radeon X1300 not supported Win98 card). 
  When i trying to start command.com - i when safe mode warning, i click OK and whole screen is getting black, like  would try to run not in windows but in fullscreen, it seems to, that machine is still running, but monitor is black..

Is there any dos command for example to play PC speaker sound to test that otherwise is computer working?