Backup program misbehaving

dougdeep

Whenever I try to run the Backup program on Windows 10, it always ends with an error about some files not being backed up. Getting details about the error shows the Backup program complaining about some of the mapped drives not being on the local machine. There are three mapped drives that point to directories on a NAS machine, but I specifically checked the Backup options to only backup the C drive. Is part of the problem that the Windows 10 Backup and the compatible Windows 7 Backup not one in the same program even though the “advanced” settings for 10 lead to the 7 control panel?

I am pretty sure a workaround would be to un-map the NAS directories, let the program run to completion, and then re-map the NAS. Does anyone know the correct way to get the Backup program to work as expected?

Hm, are you using UAC?  (chances are you are; I'm one of the few who still disables it)

There is a tweak listed in the WinAero Tweaker application that promises to "Enable access to mapped Network Drives from elevated apps.  By default it is turned off, so any elevated app can't access your mapped network drive."

Seems like it might be the solution to your issue.

-Noel

The cumulative update for August 2017 installed over the weekend and the latest backup ran today and finished with no error messages.  That's a bit odd since the MS description of the update doesn't show anything to do with backups.  Likely, Microsoft updated something else that the backup program is accessing.  Problem solved, um, for now.

18 hours ago, dougdeep said:

That's a bit odd since the MS description of the update doesn't show anything to do with backups.

I've seen that before. In one of the recent updates, MS implemented a workaround for a buggy 64-bit vorbis.acm crashing applications that loaded it. It wasn't mentioned in the changelog, it just happened that someone asked about the problem on Reddit and one of MS's engineers responded that the fix will be featured in soon-to-be-released update.

To maintain some form of Continuity between the several OS's that I have installed on 20 different PC's.....

I just use the same old Backup/Restore program that I've been using since the Windows 98 days. (1998)

And that program is "Ghost 11.5" which I run from a CD or Flash Drive.  It runs in DOS, and will backup

any OS from '98 to Win-10 Pro/64.

I've never trusted the MS backup, because it's pretty useless when your hard drive has totally crashed.  Even back in the DOS days, the Microsoft Backup was pretty lame. 

Cheers Mates!

Andromeda  :)