Abandonware is a myth!

Jody Thornton

21 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Yeah, sure, go find some relevant FPP references on microsoft.com (not answers.microsoft.com, where usually clueless MVP's mislead users on a daily basis)

If you want to know 

How to process an ESD or FPP purchase exchange:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/959327/how-to-process-an-esd-or-fpp-purchase-exchange

the Symptoms :w00t: are that "All content is TBD" however :whistle: (and they seemingly keep Caps Lock on for RAPID PUBLISHING)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

8 hours ago, GrofLuigi said:

They type it faster without having to worry about when to press SHIFT, so they save few miliseconds.That's RAPID enough. :P

Sure it is "RAPID" the doubt was more whether it represents "PUBLISHING" ;).

jaclaz

I'm so lost hahaha

just my 1 cent

- its support ended OFFICIALLY in 2014 ----> END - THE END
- just because (f*** do i have to repeat myself...) wepos 09 is done on same "codebase", and XP accepts its patches
DOES NOT mean that this is extended support for XP, it is a WEPOS support, and as for legality-wise that is how it is presented
- the latest "patch" for SMB also doesn't mean extended support, go read why it was released
- if anything both MS and DEV's are abandoning (killing) XP support on purpose, s*** even OEM's

20 minutes ago, vinifera said:

I'm so lost hahaha

just my 1 cent

- its support ended OFFICIALLY in 2014 ----> END - THE END
- just because (f*** do i have to repeat myself...) wepos 09 is done on same "codebase", and XP accepts its patches
DOES NOT mean that this is extended support for XP, it is a WEPOS support, and as for legality-wise that is how it is presented
- the latest "patch" for SMB also doesn't mean extended support, go read why it was released
- if anything both MS and DEV's are abandoning (killing) XP support on purpose, s*** even OEM's

But just because support has ended, doesn't mean copyright has expired.  In fact, copyright statues are what allow Microsoft to do what it wishes with XP.  Remember, it's their product, not ours.  So if they had the technology to zap it from your machine and disallow you to run it, that should be legal, because they get to dictate HOW you use their product.  You only use it under license.  You never "own" a copy, or "own" the OS.

So it matters none what patches are or aren't released and on what, and repeat whatever about WEPOS and SMB and blah blah  - none of that matters at all.

:)

Edited by JodyT

But here again Copyright is another thing from a license.

The Copyright is a protection intended to protect from unauthorized redistribution and/or misrepresentation of the Author(s) of original work.

It doesn't actually allow MS to do anything but protect their Intellectual Property.

The Windows XP OS has actually been distributed (legally) by MS in a number of ways and - starting with SP3 I believe - a fresh install allows to run it without entering a product key for a limited time.

It is the EULA (End User License Agreement) that allows them - in theory - to do something.

A PE (build from legally obtained sources or not) has no validation mechanism, but - again - to be used legally it should not be used without a valid license (for the same particular PC) and NOT simultaneously with the original licensed install.

As an example, if you build a PE from an original CD/DVD tied to a license on computer A, you cannot in theory use it to boot (say for an emergency repair) computer B, unless the computer B has also a valid license, and - still in theory - you cannot test the just built PE in a VM running on the original license PC because that constitute simultaneous use.

Of course, it's not like anybody expects a kind of Spanish Inquisition ...

jaclaz