Abandonware is a myth!

Jody Thornton

13 hours ago, vinifera said:

what the hell...
1. its for personal use..., any modified OS is...
2. XP's support ENDED in 2014 (and NO, WEPOS doesn't make it extended)

I wasn't trying to start a fight.  But copyright for XP still exists.  By no means is it abandonware.   If I install XP today then I still have to activate it.

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

I wasn't trying to start a fight.  But copyright for XP still exists.  By no means is it abandonware.   If I install XP today then I still have to activate it.

To be picky, one thing is Copyright, another thing is possessing a valid license and yet another thing is "activation".

The latter is only some means, not anything connected with the legality (or illegality).

jaclaz

In the old license model, possesion of the actual media (usu. floppies) and manual(s) was proof of authenticity... nowadays having a valid key and the keycard (for FPP) have efectively replaced the media/manual(s), for most purposes, IMO.

32 minutes ago, dencorso said:

In the old license model, possesion of the actual media (usu. floppies) and manual(s) was proof of authenticity... nowadays having a valid key and the keycard (for FPP) have efectively replaced the media/manual(s), for most purposes, IMO.

Not really-really, as anything related to MS (and their licensing models) nothing is "clear" or "definitive". 

Something may well be "activated" while NOT having a valid license, a typical example is the activation of OEM licenses obtained separately from the hardware or re-used on different hardware.

The OS will activate alright, yet (assuming that the MS EULA actually has some legal validity) the OS is not properly licensed.

Viceversa, say, a laptop with an original OEM install and the (stupid BTW) COA sticker, missing, removed or unreadable/worn down is and remains perfectly "legit" (even if you cannot prove it).

And I guess that these Off Topic posts about licensing and abandonware and what not could be now split into another topic, this one should still be:

Whats the smallest you managed to shrink XP to?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

18 hours ago, dencorso said:

No. It's ilegal. And abandonware is a myth.

Even if Abandonware wasn't a myth, Windows XP is still very much alive in many aspects. Sure, MS may have discontinued most of its support save by a few exceptions such as custom support (are they even doing this anymore?) or by branches such as Windows Embedded 2009. Abandonware would mean just that, it's abandoned. Windows XP is certainly very far from being abandoned and I'm sure there will still be plenty of usage of it at least until 2020.

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

That's why I wrote "for FPP"...  :unsure:

Which is fine, once (if) you will have explained what (the heck) FPP is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPP

And BTW, my post about BartPE, miniXP, XPCLI was actually on topic, and maybe deserves to go back to the original thread ... :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

19 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Which is fine, once (if) you will have explained what (the heck) FPP is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPP

Well, since everybody here (and all their neighbors) seem to know what "Abandonware", OEM and "VLK" (or, more properly, "VL") are, I thought (mea culpa) they ought to also know what FPP is. But, in fact, you have reminded me of one of my own cardinal rules, which, it seems, on getting older I tend to overlook more and more: "Presume Nothing!". Thanks for the wake-up call! :yes:

19 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

And BTW, my post about BartPE, miniXP, XPCLI was actually on topic, and maybe deserves to go back to the original thread ... :whistle:

Ooops! True. Done. Sorry!

1 minute ago, dencorso said:

I did. I've just edited my previous post. But you can get away with Federação Portuguesa de Patinadores, too, if you wish!

WHICH previous post?

They still look ALL FPPdefinitionless :w00t:

jaclaz