X99 board without PCI slot, PCI-E only, almost no HW device detection after PCI bus device addition - dead end? PCI is working, but..

ruthan

Clean installation:

I changed videocard for moment for overcome that command.com black screen bug when is command.com executed on MSI Geforce 7950GT, its failing even with native VGA driver and its not possible boot with VBE with this card, i dont know if it is MSI problem, or Geforce 7xxx problem, but its annoying even on Geforce 220 or 970 is VBE and command.com running fine.. Something on this card is wrong and i have two of them.

Maybe command.com is not needed and later discovered that is possilble to extract USP3 by 7zip and execute setup file manually.

But important is that USP3 is not a solution, still not detection at al and i have installed all components what could be related to HW detection.. and see 2 most likely reason:
1) Simply there is on more component which needs to be added except PCI bus device to detect something.
2) There is still thing which needs to be done, for make computer able to detect HW which is failing on X99, but was executed properly on AMD970 system.

---------------
  Migrated installation:
- after migration, there was USB device detection process, USB devices were recognized, but arent in device tree.. I removed all USB controllers, installed nUSB3.5 but im not able to redetect USB hubs and devices, same without nUSB.. USB controllers - Intel and VIA has resources problems, i dont know if could be fixed - there is that BIOS not give devices IRQ or not free IRQ available (pleas disable some device to free it).

Could it be fixed? Controllers are on IRQ4.

What is important except USB its working, shame is that i dont have any compatible PCI-E NIC for test network or PCI-E to PCI adapter to test PCI NIC and Audio card - both are on the way from Asia..

Edited by ruthan

New systems introduce new issues that no one can foresee. My Patches, just like any other Software, cannot be guaranteed to work in such cases.
I don't appreciate the accusations you keep making against my Software. You have yet to prove that there is any bug in any of them.
MSFN is a general interest forum, not a Customer Support Department and certainly not MY Customer Support Department.
I said that my Patches would support an AMD970 because I had two AMD970 based Computers using them.
You encountered a lot of problems because you either didn't read the instructions, or had created problems before you even applied my Patches.

Also, since you only bought one license per Patch, you are only authorized to use my Patches on one Machine each.

Also, since you only bought one license per Patch, you are only authorized to use my Patches on one Machine each.

I still dont have 1 machine where are patches really working, or should i have to buy for licences just to find out such machine? I trying to use only Sata patch on multiple machines.

I don't appreciate the accusations you keep making against my Software. You have yet to prove that there is any bug in any of them.

You encountered a lot of problems because you either didn't read the instructions, or had created problems before you even applied my Patches.

From my point of view, your patches have lots of catches and too many notes and ancient development philosophy, but there is not real alternative,  so im trying it.

We could communicate through email, but i see that your here quite often and i think that this info could help other people to make patches working, 
there are info, which you cant find in manuals even when you will analyse them under microscope, i read manuals for all products, but some info wasnt so clear to me.. there lots other note, which could maybe help passages for taste..

Your patches has some history of fixing problem, i thing that i simply hit other unexpected problem and you could everytime say that was bad customer..

Edited by ruthan

A bad customer blames my Software when he/she hasn't eliminated other possibilities.

If there are unexpected problems, I wan't to know about them so I can try to fix them. This requires careful and sometimes extensive debugging, especially since I am not there to control the process.
It becomes a lot harder when there are all sorts of Programs, Hardware or Settings that I don't know about.

E-Mail or a product specific Forum is the standard way to provide Customer Support.
Since other people have not had a problem installing my Patches, I don't think they are learning anything from your trials and tribulations.

The Manuals are intended for normal usages and situations. They have proven sufficient so far. Extreme cases will always involve Customer support.

I have two AMD970s working, so getting yours to work should not be so hard.

On 8/20/2017 at 4:19 PM, ruthan said:

Here is log:

0  0  0:  8086:2f00 1462:7885 0600 00  02 
 0 31  3:  8086:8d22 1462:7885 0c05 00  05 
No more its whole, created trough scanpci.txt  > Log.txt i hope that it is ok.

Use these two INF's to replace the corresponding ones from my main INF package for your X99 system.

Set your BIOS disk controllers to IDE mode. Get rid of AHCI for this test.
Do a clean install of 98SE using "SETUP /p i" to get rid of ACPI for this test.
Use rloew's RAM patch + SATA patch + SATA.INF.
Install NUSB 3.5 when you reach the desktop to place the USB2 INF + drivers before detection. You shouldn't have to reboot here if no USB controllers were previously detected.
Manually copy USBD.SYS from NUSB to WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.
Manually install "PCI Bus" and do not let the system reboot until it has stopped finding new devices and leaves you on the desktop.
Do not install anything else such as NVidia drivers or USP3 before you reboot and verify that system devices have been detected and your HDD controllers are working.
Report your results.

Note for anyone else: the linked package is really for ruthan only; not all X99 devices were added, only the ones from his SCANPCI log.
A full update to my INF package will come sometime in the future.

Edited later to simplify USB/USB2 section.

A bad customer blames my Software when he/she hasn't eliminated other possibilities.

You could spend whole life on quest on eliminate other possibilities (unlikely), im using lots of software, i think that i did enough testing, as i said your patches require too much user maintenance or involvement, they could be more automated /"intelligent" / polished from my point of view.

Im sure that with my AMD970 is met so bug it the patches, would bet on it significant sum..

Back from philosophical software development differences, where we can agree to disagree..

Technical stuff:
- I managed to get USB working, by changing IRQ for one serial port from 4 to 3, that Bios is probably very bad except 32 bit 920 MB problem, there virtual devices for 2 COM port and LPT and when i checked board manual didnt find any headers for them.

Now i need to wait for Win98 compatible PCI-E sound or PCI-E NIC, or PCI-E to PCI bridge arrival, all of these are on the way..

Otherwise i have my classic no audio device problem, which is connected with this cloned installation. I managed to get USB audio device to work as recording device but not as playback device.. It look that i need some Microsoft streaming proxy virtual device (its somehow connected with DirectX(reinstalled too)) installed, i found in which *.inf file it is not, when i point Add hardware wizard to this file this device is not listed. 
   There to main possibilities how it would be fixed - by installation of proper PCI/PCI-E soundcard and its removal, or by removal all virtual audio devices from safe mode device manager, i fixed it two times on other machine, but i hard to tell exact how to its fixable. 

I found only this about proxy is only device in audio devices list between working and nonworking system, but problem could be elsewhere in the system and didnt all device removal, because some were already installed, because i will need complete remove and resetup.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa940090(v=winembedded.5).aspx?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=XdSn0e3h3*k&ranSiteID=XdSn0e3h3.k-yaC1zUqYsXWgm2KpwxgBSw&tduid=(2ccf26a1c3ef28063ad6064259dd8a72)(256380)(2459594)(XdSn0e3h3.k-yaC1zUqYsXWgm2KpwxgBSw)()

Edited by ruthan

You appear to be alone in thinking that these Patches require too much User Involvement.
What you are requesting would require me to obtain all the Hardware and Software available and test every combination.
I am not Microsoft, so I don't have the volume of business to cover my costs at any reasonable price.
Even they don't do a good job based on your standards.

The fact that you use a lot of Software makes it far harder to isolate problems as they interact with each other.
You just spent quite a bit of time finding out that your "microfreezes" were caused by Anvir.

You seem very quick to assume it's my Patches that are the problem without any verification, yet you are reluctant to consider other possibilities.
I am still waiting for you to find an actual bug.

You need to start from scratch, with only the basic Hardware, an empty Hard Drive, and an unmodified Windows Installation CD.
Whenever you ran a test, there seemed to always be something unexpected present.

As far as I know, most modern Motherboards do not have COM or LPT ports.

Trend is that there is usually 1 serial port, which could be disabled in the BIOS, at least my Q170 and T170 and Z97 boards have it.

Set your BIOS disk controllers to IDE mode. Get rid of AHCI for this test.
Do a clean install of 98SE using "SETUP /p i" to get rid of ACPI for this test.
Use rloew's RAM patch + SATA patch + SATA.INF.
Install NUSB 3.5 when you reach the desktop to place the USB2 INF + drivers before detection. You shouldn't have to reboot here if no USB controllers were previously detected.
Manually copy USBD.SYS from NUSB to WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.
Manually install "PCI Bus" and do not let the system reboot until it has stopped finding new devices and leaves you on the desktop.
Do not install anything else such as NVidia drivers or USP3 before you reboot and verify that system devices have been detected and your HDD controllers are working.

Ok i tested it, result almost fine, but not without issues. Probably because of setup /p i  parameters (i wonder could it be combined with other switches?, i didnt use others for this installation) , more devices were detected, even PCI bus and IDE controlelrs, videocard, but only again with generic names, any specific Intel XXX (but devices has 1-06-2015 driver date, so LoneCrusades inf are used)..  I copied infs to windows installation inf folder, removed PCI bus and added it back, but its still the same.

Once again i had to change IRQ for COM1 device from IRQ 4 to 3 to, to make USB controller start.

USB 3.5, i have problem to locate USBD.SYS, during installation its copied somewere but dialog is so quick that i dont know where.. I can extract installation package with 7zip as in case NUSB3.6, was i cant copy file to right place.. I scanned whole disc, include archives for this file, but except original file(alter nUSB3.5 installation) -06/08/2000) and file in USP3 - 3.56  (01/04/2001) i didnt find any.

There 5 USB PCI unknow devices, none recognized automatically.. 
    But they are detected manually by Device manager driver search, now im testing them.
    Update: Controllers are detected fine, but there some problem with hubs and devices, devices are detected but after reboot there is freeze, related to PCIto PCI bridge enumerating..

I wonder if install MB with /p i to ingore AHCI, its that reason for not working automatic shutdown, could it be fixed, or its Nvidia 7950GT problem (i still have only VGA driver for it).

Right from family album, sorry for blurriness :

2017-08-26%2017.01.35-UnknowDevices.jpg

2017-08-26%2015.33.13-SystemDevices.jpg
   Exclamation mark - there is a message that BIOS dont assign IRQ to device.

Edited by ruthan

Ok just because of USB problem fixing removed1 system device and finally now right device name was detected, i wrote above i did PCI removal, it wasnt enough..  I removed all other system devices and right names were detected too.

New pictures:

2017-08-26%2018.39-SystemDeviceRigthName

2017-08-26%2018.39%20-USB-Stuff.jpg

USB Composite Device errors are NTKERN.VXD Code 2 - loader could not load device driver.

Update: Even all unknow devices could be manually detected as Intel devices with 2017 driver.. But i wonder why they arent  detect during installation, i just copied new infs, should i also deleted the old ones?

Edited by ruthan

When i installed nUSB 3.6 there not exclamation marks for USB devices, but at least USB audio is not working and i got 2 minutes waiting just for desktop icons, something is not right with USB..

About infs, except USB3 controllers, there is only device which were not recognized:

2017-08-27%2003.41.16-Device.jpg