Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 



Nomen

Is MSFN.org now practically unusable for win-98/Opera 12?

Recommended Posts

Was there a change to the msfn site software about a week ago?  I don't think any of the site navigation buttons/links are working any more under win-98 / Opera 12.02.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nomen said:

Was there a change to the msfn site software about a week ago?  I don't think any of the site navigation buttons/links are working any more under win-98 / Opera 12.02.
 

Opera 10.63 stopped functioning on XP.

Opera 12.15 Last Presto version worked on XP on Youtube 240P only.

Can you watch videos on Opera 12.02 on Youtube at the moment?

If not Try Opera 12.15 and report back.

If that doesn't work see if you can install Firefox v43.0.4.  I don't know if KernelEx and all those patches can allow this version to work properly on 98SE but give it a try.

Edited by 98SE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This report should be into the topic "Forum upgrade to v4.2!". But yes these buttons (Home-Microsoft Software Products-Windows 9x/ME...) don't work. You can create bookmarks or zoom the page to +. Then the look changes and you see only one working button. I don't think it has become much worse than before. Of course, these are annoying glitches.




 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I can't navigate between discussion groups any more, and my username/password login info is not being remembered.  The "remember my login" check-box, when clicked on, does not put anything in the box but a bit of a shadow does seem to surround the box.  So the functionality of the "remembering" part is not working, but I don't know where that is supposed to happen (on msfn or in opera?).

As far as discussing this website issue here in this win-98/me group, or on the board devoted to website issues -> isin't it clear that this is an issue SPECIFIC ONLY TO WIN-9x/ME USERS?  Isin't the continued functionality and any remedies or improvements that we can discover about how to continue to use msfn.org under win-98 best discussed IN THIS GROUP ?!?!?!  Because it does not affect the wider internet community (using win-xp or 7, 8, 10, etc) ?


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nomen said:

Yes, I can't navigate between discussion groups any more, and my username/password login info is not being remembered.  The "remember my login" check-box, when clicked on, does not put anything in the box but a bit of a shadow does seem to surround the box.  So the functionality of the "remembering" part is not working, but I don't know where that is supposed to happen (on msfn or in opera?).

As far as discussing this website issue here in this win-98/me group, or on the board devoted to website issues -> isin't it clear that this is an issue SPECIFIC ONLY TO WIN-9x/ME USERS?  Isin't the continued functionality and any remedies or improvements that we can discover about how to continue to use msfn.org under win-98 best discussed IN THIS GROUP ?!?!?!  Because it does not affect the wider internet community (using win-xp or 7, 8, 10, etc) ?


 

It doesn't bother me if you posted it here.  I'm only curious if Opera 12.15 will resolve your 98SE issue?

Do you use any special patches on your 98SE like the KernelEX or is this plain 98SE you are using?

If you're using that KernelEx see if the Firefox v43.0.4 will resolve the website issue you are having.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opera 12.02 is the last of the 12.xx versions that "we" have managed to get working under win-98/me.  And that's with using KernelEx.  I've been exploring if Opera 12.18 can somehow work under 98 and have gotten some partial success (I've created an opera.dll that is a switcher or re-director to the functions in the real opera.dll (versions 12.02 and 12.18) and have discovered the function that is causing issues).


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opera 12.15 or FF 43 don't work on 98/ME, neither with KernelEX.

 

@Nomen: Yes, the 98/ME community isn't important in the wider internet, but I think it should be on this MSFN board site. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, 98SE said:

It doesn't bother me if you posted it here.  I'm only curious if Opera 12.15 will resolve your 98SE issue?

Do you use any special patches on your 98SE like the KernelEX or is this plain 98SE you are using?

If you're using that KernelEx see if the Firefox v43.0.4 will resolve the website issue you are having.

It would bother me if it comes out that Opera 12.15 doesn't run on Windows 98 at all, or if you managed to run it and didn't tell anyone how you did it.

Reportedly:

Last version of Opera working on 98/ME is 10.63.

Last version of Opera working in 98/Me with KerneEx 12.02.

Last version of Opera working in 98/Me with KernelEx extensions 12.5 (before build 1513)

And same applies to Firefox v43.0.4, can you run it in 98?

jaclaz

 

Edited by jaclaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nomen said:

Opera 12.02 is the last of the 12.xx versions that "we" have managed to get working under win-98/me.  And that's with using KernelEx.  I've been exploring if Opera 12.18 can somehow work under 98 and have gotten some partial success (I've created an opera.dll that is a switcher or re-director to the functions in the real opera.dll (versions 12.02 and 12.18) and have discovered the function that is causing issues).


 

What was the max Opera and FireFox version that you could get working on 98SE w/o the KernelEx?

And what about the max Firefox version with your KernelEx?

Jaclaz answered a few of these simultaneous posting... But still the FireFox last version I'm interested in normal 98SE vs 98SE KernelEx.

 

I think the key is in the FireFox browser for 98SE.  It had longer support in my mind.  An old user with an iMac was able to use FireFox longer than that blasted Safari which said you must upgrade the Mac OS first.

Edited by 98SE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 98SE said:

But still the FireFox last version I'm interested in normal 98SE vs 98SE KernelEx.

And there is the dedicated thread about browsers working or not working that was just given to you.

Requires KernelEx! (Windows 98/ME only!)
Opera 12.02
Firefox 3.6.28

Requires KernelEx extensions
...
Opera 12.5 build [before] 1513

No reports of newer Firefox working with KernelEx extensions.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Probably a typo:

Quote


 


 

Last version of Opera working on 98/ME is 11.63.

 

It isn't 11.63, but 10.63. FF9.01 runs stable without bookmark function on 98/ME and KernelEX. It was reported that FF10 runs on some systems, too. But mostly not.

 

Edited by schwups

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, schwups said:

Probably a typo:

It isn't 11.63, but 10.63. FF9.01 runs stable without bookmark function on 98/ME and KernelEX. It was reported that FF10 runs on some systems, too. But mostly not.

 

Corrected, thanks.

jaclaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

And there is the dedicated thread about browsers working or not working that was just given to you.

Requires KernelEx! (Windows 98/ME only!)
Opera 12.02
Firefox 3.6.28

Requires KernelEx extensions
...
Opera 12.5 build [before] 1513

No reports of newer Firefox working with KernelEx extensions.

jaclaz

Wait Opera 12.50? works with Kernel Ex?

Then someone should try Opera 12.15.  On XP I can confirm Youtube videos are working.  I can't vouch for how it performs on other sites.  FireFox 43.0.4 is my recommended lowest minimum version that should probably work for a long time on XP and high resolution Youtube videos 480P+ working.  There are lower FF versions I've tested let me dig that up.

FireFox 34.0, 34.0b9, 34.0.5
Video scrolling is not laggy
nvidia quoting response works

These were successful and should work on 99% of all sites I would say but gimped 240P Youtube Flash playback.  So this won't be good for the Youtube experience but just general websites like MSFN and other forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no version Opera 12.50. It is 12.5 (Snapshot build 1513) and is older than 12.15. The introduced plugin wrapper doesn't run on 98/ME. So the FlashPlayerPlugin doesn't work in Opera 12.5 and higher. The HTML5 player runs inside 12.5 with only 360p and a saving possibility (right click menu) of 480p.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schwups said:

There is no version Opera 12.50. It is 12.5 (Snapshot build 1513) and is older than 12.15. The introduced plugin wrapper doesn't run on 98/ME. So the FlashPlayerPlugin doesn't work in Opera 12.5 and higher. The HTML5 player runs inside 12.5 with only 360p and a saving possibility (right click menu) of 480p.

The only solution if the browser can't play Youtube videos is to get a Youtube video downloader and watch locally instead.  You get a copy of the actual video so you can keep it and no streaming lag issues.  Now I'm not sure of which of these will work on 98SE so it could be another Turtle on the MailBox Post issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×