Running Windows 9X/ME with over 4GB RAM installed WITHOUT using Windows System Files Patching or Tweaking

98SE

@98SE

Yes i have CRT monitor and i use it for first machine, for other machines i use LCD...

1Gb is max without SYSTEM.INI mods.

I just tried to see what's maximum but now with SYSTEM.INI mod, i used 1GB + 256MB  and for 98fe maximum is 1086MB MaxPhysPage=44000,

for 98SE max is 1150MB  with MaxPhysPage=48000

5EJPFCC.png

if i put 2x1GB - 2GB It gives me BSOD

8D7ZIwm.jpg

And i did some "benchmark" on this machine with Quake III Arena with different memory modules and results are:

1GB+256MB @ DDR266 - 390 fps

1GB @DDR 333 - 398 fps

2x512MB @DDR400 dual channel  - 438 fps

@rloew What about the problems I had when having 1GB of RAM without the VCache patch? Without the VCache patch 3DMark2001 SE did not work and older NVIDIA drivers (4x.xx, 5x.xx) did not work either, leaving a black screen after boot screen. Both worked with 512MB of RAM. The newest NVIDIA drivers (7x.xx, 8x.xx) did work without the patch :dubbio:

That's why I encouraged everyone to use VCache patch if they have more than 512MB. Can you explain why those would fail with more RAM?

Edited by MrMateczko

The 1152MB limit is due to Kernel Memory Database issues. It is separate from the VCACHE issue. Unlike the VCACHE issue, this cannot be fixed without Patching.

I described the VCACHE issue in some detail recently in another post. It can occur if you exceed around 768MB of RAM. Video drivers can make a significant difference depending on how they handle Video Memory management.

Microsoft set the Maximum File Cache to 800MiB, which is too large.
My RAM Limitation Patch sets the default Maximum File Cache to 512MB or to a User specified Value. It can also be set by adding a MaxFileCache entry into SYSTEM.INI. The XENO86 Patch sets it to 512MB.

Just a small correction, sorry! Xeno86's VCache actually sets it to 384 MiB. But accepts both bigger and smaller values, if set by adding a MaxFileCache entry into SYSTEM.INI. :)

17 minutes ago, rloew said:

The XENO86 Patch sets it to 512MB.

Not that it actually does make much difference, since all that really matters is being 512 MiB or smaller.

4 hours ago, ABCDEFG said:

@98SE

Yes i have CRT monitor and i use it for first machine, for other machines i use LCD...

1Gb is max without SYSTEM.INI mods.

I just tried to see what's maximum but now with SYSTEM.INI mod, i used 1GB + 256MB  and for 98fe maximum is 1086MB MaxPhysPage=44000,

for 98SE max is 1150MB  with MaxPhysPage=48000

5EJPFCC.png

if i put 2x1GB - 2GB It gives me BSOD

And i did some "benchmark" on this machine with Quake III Arena with different memory modules and results are:

1GB+256MB @ DDR266 - 390 fps

1GB @DDR 333 - 398 fps

2x512MB @DDR400 dual channel  - 438 fps

The Dual Channel 1024MB split gave you some boost there.

Try 512MB = 2 x 256MB @ DDR400 dual channel and see what fps comes up if identical?

Was this a two max memory slot MB?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
DDR1
Bus Clock 100–200MHz
Internal Memory Clock 100–200MHz

DDR2
Bus Clock 200–533.33
Internal Memory Clock 100–266.67

Edited by 98SE