What should I install?

r3muxd

I'm new to this. I've installed Windows 2000 SP4, and the Update Rollup 1. What else do I need? I saw KernelEx for Windows 2000, but it seems there are other things. What should I do?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 9:52 AM, r3muxd said:

I'm new to this. I've installed Windows 2000 SP4, and the Update Rollup 1. What else do I need? I saw KernelEx for Windows 2000, but it seems there are other things. What should I do?

For all the official updates check my site at http://windowsarchives.com/updates, although you will have to reinstall the system from scratch in order to integrate everything. After that, if you want, you can add the @blackwingcat's unofficial KernelEx for Win2000 together with his extended core.

The order does matter, so never try to install any unofficial packages if your system is not up-to-date. Also, always do a full system backup before touching anything (unless it is a test machine with no important files on it).

Edited by tomasz86

I also need help. I'm using Win2k SP4 Update Rollup 1 and simply want to use a newer Firefox than Version 12.

I only want to make minimal changes to my system, so do which updates do I need to install in order to use a modern version of Firefox?

10 hours ago, woodpusher said:

I also need help. I'm using Win2k SP4 Update Rollup 1 and simply want to use a newer Firefox than Version 12.

I only want to make minimal changes to my system, so do which updates do I need to install in order to use a modern version of Firefox?

Install latest Extended Kernel and newer firefox is ready to use (IF you have IE6 hotfix installed first)

Hi roytam1, thanks for your reply.

I still have IE 5.0 installed (cause I always use Firefox).

So I need to install IE 6 and a hotfix. Where can I find this hotfix on microsoft.com? Can you please give me the correct link?

On 9/20/2017 at 3:01 AM, woodpusher said:

I am afraid that what you want may be impossible. You need to install the unofficial kernel in order to run such incompatible software (in most cases, at least), and installing the kernel means massive changes to the system files.

If you still decide to do it, then please check what I wrote above.

19 hours ago, woodpusher said:

I still have IE 5.0 installed (cause I always use Firefox).

So I need to install IE 6 and a hotfix. Where can I find this hotfix on microsoft.com? Can you please give me the correct link?

The kernel is not a simple hotfix ;). It is also unofficial which means that it does not come from Micro$oft. The link is KernelEx for Win2000 (already listed above). It does require IE6 SP1 though, but also all the other official updates released between 2005-2010. If you want to update without reinstalling the OS, you would have to install IE6 SP1 first and then run Windows Update and install everything from there. Only after that you should go on with the kernel. This is not a foolproof one-click procedure so please be very careful. Also, always remember to make a full system backup before touching anything.

@r3muxd

For the most up to date browser, I would also recommend Firefox ESR 45.8.0 Portable. I tested it a few months ago on Windows 2000, and it worked. It was released in March 2017, and will also work with an ancient SSE only processor such as Pentium III. However, I believe it requires the UURollup.

You can get the entire standalone installer from SourceForge, or from my FTP: http://sdfox7.com/2000/Important_EOL_Updates/FirefoxPortableESR_45.8.0_English.paf.exe

6 hours ago, r3muxd said:

@tomasz86

How do I actually use that link? I know it's used with HFSLIP 2000, but do I want the XP updates? Is there an actual download button?

Which exact link do you mean?

If you mean the updates lists on my site, there are two separate lists there - one for 2000, one for XP. They are separate so you should only follow the one for the operating system that you are interested in. As for the XP/2003 updates that are included in the Windows 2000 Updates List, then yes, they are compatible and should be used with Windows 2000 too.

I understand that the whole concept may be confusing, especially since there is no detailed information on HFSLIP on my site, but I will try to make everything clearer in the near future. I am also going to include all the HFSLIP related material too so that everything will be in one place.

The general idea is to download all the updates listed either for Windows 2000 or XP, put them into their corresponding folders in the HFSLIP directory, and then use HFSLIP to integrate them into a Windows source. The source is to be used for fresh system installation. The updates lists are not really applicable to an already running system (because many of them cannot be installed manually). There is no download button to download all of the updates at once.

5 hours ago, r3muxd said:

I know I should install the KernelEx for Windows 2000, but what's the kernel32.dll rewrite from here: 

And is there anything else I should know about?

This is/was a different project developed concurrently to the KernelEx. You can read the whole thread if you are interested, but at the moment I would recommend to stick to the KernelEx by @blackwingcat only.

11 hours ago, r3muxd said:

Is the FullPack everything

Actually yes. While not mentioned anywhere (because you are supposed to download the updates from their original sources), in reality the FullPack has everything that is listed on my site. You only need to copy your Windows 2000 sources files to the SOURCE folder and then run the script. Also, remember that HFSLIP has to be run as Administrator in newer versions of Windows in order to integrate everything properly. At the moment FullPack is available only in English (ENU) and only for Windows 2000.

and then I need to install UUP and KernelEx for Windows 2000?

If by UUP you mean UURollup, then no, you do not really need it. It does install more files than KernelEx but the core files are outdated. I would recommend to use only the @blackwingcat's KernelEx and his kernel Core update. Most of the other unofficial packages are either outdated / obsolete or simply redundant.

Edit: and USP 5.2?

USP 5.2 does not really exist. The only working USP is USP 5.1 by @Gurgelmeyer that was created in 2005. However, I would advise not to use it because it installs USB 1.1 drivers that are known to be buggy (and are listed as problematic on my site, and hidden by default). The USP 5.1 provided a convenient way to install / integrate all the tiny updates and hotfixes that Micro$oft had released after SP 4, but if you follow the updates list from my site, then those are integrated anyway (only one by one and not as a single package).