Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
BeardedBlunder

Is ReFS ready for prime-time?

Microsoft make lots of claims about how wonderful and robust ReFS is, yet if I google "ReFS corrupt" there's no shortage of results with persons seeking help.

I may be cynical, but I'm reminded of the claims M$ made about NTFS not needing defragmenting with NT3.x, and Diskeeper corp. nee. Executive Software was born.. it took till NT4 for Microsoft to provide an API, and NT5 to supply a tool...

There seems to be a parallel, in fact the tools to fix corrupt ReFS are the very same as fragmented NTFS under NT3.x, copy your data elsewhere, format, and copy it back...

Personally I think I'll hold off deploying ReFS until there's at least a tool to check it.. preferably a native one.

• Like 1

HarryTri    19

I agree with you. If you have seen some episodes of "Mayday" you know that "failsafe" isn't really failsafe. I think in this world nothing can be really failsafe.

jaclaz    943

Well, our friend NoelC has it in production since quite a bit and he seemed like happy about  it:

But you are right, it is definitely not ready for prime time and the lack of suitable tools make it - to say the least - a risky option when compared to NTFS.

jaclaz

Mcinwwl    42

jaclaz - thanks for linking the topic. As far as I get it, there will be no noticeable advantage of ReFS over NTFS for average PC user... or even wanna-be-geeky user, who doesn't plan to store Terabytes of data?

Edited by Mcinwwl
major typo

jaclaz    943
15 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

jaclaz - thanks for linking the topic. As far as I get it, there will be no noticeable advantage of ReFS over NTSC for average PC user... or even wanna-be-geeky user, who doesn't plan to store Terabytes of data?

NTSC? :w00t:

You mean NTFS, right? :dubbio:

And of course we are already in the Petabyte range ... 

But seriously, I believe ReFS to be an excellent filesystem, but until it isn't better documented, suitable checking tools are provided, etc., etc. it is simply not ready for "common" use.

jaclaz

NoelC    1,371

It's like they got it most of the way there then just abandoned polishing the edges so it could be used mainstream.

For what it's worth I've never had a lick of trouble with it.  I ended up using ReFS for years on both external and internal data drives.  One of them is chronically full, and it seemed to me it didn't get as bogged-down as NTFS does when you run a drive nearly full, but honestly I've not done any objective testing to give that feeling any credence.

-Noel