Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

spacequakes

Antivirus for xp?

Dibya    230

I use Microsoft security essential with malwarebytes as on demand scanner  (a weakly scan) .  

Edited by Dibya
  • Like 1

Dibya    230

A powerful firewall is extremely important if you wish to keep system away from bad guys.

https://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

This firewall may not be a well known one like zone alarm or comodo but it does very good job. Try to modify any system files it will block. It will warn when critical system settings are changed then you can revert it back . Most common malware behaviour are also blocked. Including ransomewares. 

• Like 1

Just_AHD    1
55 minutes ago, Dibya said:

I use Microsoft security essential with malwarebytes as on demand scanner  (a weakly scan) .  

Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer supported with XP, 4.4.304 is the latest version for XP. You can download it but automatic updating doesn't work, you need to manually update it, Or just install POSReady 2009 Registry Hack to get security updates for XP and it will make Automatic Virus definitions updating for MSE working.

Edited by Just_AHD
  • Like 1

burd    50
2 hours ago, spacequakes said:

thank you all for your input.  greatly appreciated.

bitdefender free maybe?
superantispyware?

FranceBB    86

Avast supports XP and is probably the most complete antivirus with streaming updates (definitions are updated in real time), a firewall, a custom browser based on chromium that allows you to do internet banking and others "risky" things safely on XP thanks to the extra security layer, SecureLine (which allows you to use a VPN service - not in the free version, though -), a ransomware shield that protects all your file system resources from being accessed by untrusted third part applications, Secure DNS which allows you to use other DNS and access websites that are blocked in your country, a SandBox which allows you to load risky executables in a virtual environment, without the risk of infecting your real system, a Wifi inspector which tells you whether the wifi you are connected to is secure or not, a software updater which tells you which software needs to be updated and can, eventually, update it for you in background, a rescue disk which allows you to create a Disk or a USB with Avast Antivirus in it to clean up other computers (or your own computer) if it doesn't boot, a boot-time scan that allows you to scan for viruses before Windows starts in order to remove even the nastier threats, a mode to save all your password into a master password that encrypts them all and handle them for you (still in beta in XP, though), an email antivirus and antispam, a data shredder that allows you to permanently destroy files by writing random data in the cells of the files you want to permanently delete and finally a sensitive data shield which enables you to protect and encrypt your personal documents and prevent third part applications from accessing them.

In other word, Avast is my way to go. I have Avast Premier in my pc and I'm a beta tester.

Edited by FranceBB
  • Upvote 1

i430VX    10

I usually recommend Avast as well if someone wants real time scanning, and have used it myself before and like it. Avira i don't think is officially supported on XP but as of a couple months ago it still works and is okay too.

JodyT    142

What are your thoughts on 360 Total Security?  I've heard good things about it, but never tried it.

:)

Dibya    230
4 hours ago, JodyT said:

What are your thoughts on 360 Total Security?  I've heard good things about it, but never tried it.

To me it's useless 

i430VX    10
12 hours ago, JodyT said:

Never used it. Heard of it but haven't been bothered to try it. Maybe sometime I will.

spacequakes    1
15 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Avast supports XP and is probably the most complete antivirus with streaming updates (definitions are updated in real time), a firewall, a custom browser based on chromium that allows you to do internet banking and others "risky" things safely on XP thanks to the extra security layer, SecureLine (which allows you to use a VPN service - not in the free version, though -), a ransomware shield that protects all your file system resources from being accessed by untrusted third part applications, Secure DNS which allows you to use other DNS and access websites that are blocked in your country, a SandBox which allows you to load risky executables in a virtual environment, without the risk of infecting your real system, a Wifi inspector which tells you whether the wifi you are connected to is secure or not, a software updater which tells you which software needs to be updated and can, eventually, update it for you in background, a rescue disk which allows you to create a Disk or a USB with Avast Antivirus in it to clean up other computers (or your own computer) if it doesn't boot, a boot-time scan that allows you to scan for viruses before Windows starts in order to remove even the nastier threats, a mode to save all your password into a master password that encrypts them all and handle them for you (still in beta in XP, though), an email antivirus and antispam, a data shredder that allows you to permanently destroy files by writing random data in the cells of the files you want to permanently delete and finally a sensitive data shield which enables you to protect and encrypt your personal documents and prevent third part applications from accessing them.

In other word, Avast is my way to go. I have Avast Premier in my pc and I'm a beta tester.

I used avast for a long time & liked it, but then, all of a sudden, I started getting bsod, very often.  Don't know what the conflict was, but when I was trying to figure out the problem, googling, I found that others using xp were also getting the blue screen with avast.  When I stopped avast, the blue screen ended.