WMP9 eats System/GDI resources on 98SE.

pangoomis

On my ThinkPad T40 98SE machine (which is beautiful, by the way), whenever I open WMP9 (even without any file to play), the System/GDI resources drop significantly.

The worst part is when you try to choose/select a skin, the resources drop to below 20%.

I've tried 98MP10, but it only got slightly worse, now it drops to 0%.

Any tips for that? No other app does that. I want to enjoy my Toothy skin without any problems. :)

EDIT: Installing KernelEx and Revolutions Pack 9 did help somewhat, but depending on the skin, it can drop to 70% (Toothy) or to 35% (Compact/WMP11 skin).

Maybe obtaining rpXbeta1.zip would help, I can't find it anywhere. Is it even necessary when you have the latest version of Revolutions Pack?

EDIT2: I've been reading about the whole GDI thing in 98SE, the best bet is to simply install latest Revolutions Pack and be done with it? And just to live with 70% as there is no better option? Anything changed since Tihiy left 98SE scene?

Edited by MrMateczko

• 3 weeks later...

That's a workaround, not a solution, if I didn't want to use WMP9, I would not use it :) And besides, is there a Toothy skin for GOM Player? :)

EDIT: Besides, with RP9 this problem has been fixed more or less. I still wonder why certain WMP9 skins eat more resources.

Edited by MrMateczko