September 2017 update rollup

xpclient

September Update has left Windows 8.1 users unable to sign into their Microsoft Account: https://mspoweruser.com/september-update-left-windows-8-1-users-unable-sign-microsoft-account/

Besides this, for me, it has broken DISM and SFC. DISM reports now that the Component Store is corrupted and /ScanHealth /RestoreHealth do not work. :crazy::angry: I hope Microsoft Windows gets irrelevant and more unpopular and that gets the satanic management fired. I am so sick of updates screwing up working systems. We desperately need new leadership at Microsoft that does not have a mental illness about pushing new features at the cost of breaking things that came before it.

Edited by xpclient

9 hours ago, xpclient said:

September Update has left Windows 8.1 users unable to sign into their Microsoft Account: https://mspoweruser.com/september-update-left-windows-8-1-users-unable-sign-microsoft-account/

Besides this, for me, it has broken DISM and SFC. DISM reports now that the Component Store is corrupted and /ScanHealth /RestoreHealth do not work. :crazy::angry: I hope Microsoft Windows gets irrelevant and more unpopular and that gets the satanic management fired. I am so sick of updates screwing up working systems. We desperately need new leadership at Microsoft that does not have a mental illness about pushing new features at the cost of breaking things that came before it.

I was wondering if the issue was on my side, seeing I had just clean installed a Windows 8.1 PC and couldn't login with my account (for OneDrive purposes, of course). I thought it had something to do with me purging all of the telemetry on the system.

As usual, Microsoft keeps showing what their standard of quality is: half baked updates that should work, but really just make systems worse.

I bet Windows 8.0, Vista and XP are nice and stable...

I am reinstalling 8.1 on 3 of my pc. Dam on Microsoft.  I will never update it any more.

I have to fix my bootloader with easy bcd for my xp .

I hate reinstalling 

Edited by Dibya

19 minutes ago, JodyT said:

Well I wouldn't be able to answer that because I sign into Windows 8 using a local account, not a Microsoft one (and if I'm not mistaken, such an issue wouldn't affect Vista or XP)

The other problems the September update causes.

10 hours ago, xpclient said:

Besides this, for me, it has broken DISM and SFC. DISM reports now that the Component Store is corrupted and /ScanHealth /RestoreHealth do not work.

EDIT: This also happened to me

Edited by greenhillmaniac

Thanks for the heads-up. DISM with /ScanHealth has been stuck at 20% for the last half-hour and counting...

Edit: just completed without finding any corruption. Are we talking about KB4038792?
Edit2: using local account here.

Edited by UCyborg

9 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Thanks for the heads-up. DISM with /ScanHealth has been stuck at 20% for the last half-hour and counting...

Edit: just completed without finding any corruption. Are we talking about KB4038792?

I experience these issues with the September Preview, KB4038774. I dont know if it's the same patch that also affected @xpclient

Edited by greenhillmaniac

I've done some digging, and it turns out the new Monthly Rollup Preview is not at fault for the inability to login with a Live account on Windows 8.x. Turns out it's just Microsoft's servers' fault (what a shock). They say they are working on a fix for this issue, but don't have an ETA.

On the other hand, the corruption of the CBS is the fault of the new MRP, since i ran the command "sfc /scannow" before and after applying the patch, and it reported corruption after installing it.

Just clearing up some (dis)information ;)

11 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I've done some digging, and it turns out the new Monthly Rollup Preview is not at fault for the inability to login with a Live account on Windows 8.x. Turns out it's just Microsoft's servers' fault (what a shock). They say they are working on a fix for this issue, but don't have an ETA.

On the other hand, the corruption of the CBS is the fault of the new MRP, since i ran the command "sfc /scannow" before and after applying the patch, and it reported corruption after installing it.

Just clearing up some (dis)information ;)

Oh my goodness,  for server fault I have reinstalled with so much trouble. I wish to beat microsoft any one with me?

4 hours ago, Dibya said:

Oh my goodness,  for server fault I have reinstalled with so much trouble. I wish to beat microsoft any one with me?

From my experience, logging in with an MS account slows down the system A LOT. And not only at login but all time. Having that SkyDrive does not worth it.

43 minutes ago, Anixx said:

From my experience, logging in with an MS account slows down the system A LOT. And not only at login but all time. Having that SkyDrive does not worth it.

I usually disable account sync from the settings when I use a Microsoft account, along with automatic OneDrive photo upload, which means OneDrive only functions as a cloud file server and nothing else. Also, since I disable settings sync, I don't get any extra disk IO or network activity.

Besides, OneDrive on 8.1 has the huge advantage of file placeholders, which means my HDD won't be filled with useless space (I have almost 3GB worth of data).