AIM Has Been Shut Down 15th Decemeber 2017

i430VX

https://aimemories.tumblr.com

One Last Away Message

By Michael Albers, VP of Communications Product at Oath

If you were a 90’s kid, chances are there was a point in time when AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) was a huge part of your life. You likely remember the CD, your first screenname, your carefully curated away messages, and how you organized your buddy lists. Right now you might be reminiscing about how you had to compete for time on the home computer in order to chat with friends outside of school. You might also remember how characters throughout pop culture from “You’ve Got Mail” to “Sex and the City” used AIM to help navigate their relationships. In the late 1990’s, the world had never seen anything like it. And it captivated all of us.

AIM tapped into new digital technologies and ignited a cultural shift, but the way in which we communicate with each other has profoundly changed. As a result we’ve made the decision that we will be discontinuing AIM effective December 15, 2017. We are more excited than ever to continue building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products for users around the world.

tumblr_inline_oxenj0EQe41v9fx0s_500.gif

Thank you to all of our AIM users. And definitely stay tuned as we’re fired up to provide more products and experiences that people around the world love.

#AIMemories

Everyone's Favorite chat system of yesteryear is closing up shop.

AOL Is now Oath, apparently.

Also look at the FAQ if you're interested

https://help.aol.com/articles/aim-discontinued

What’s a supercar?

Never mind.

Edited by i430VX

7 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Maybe yesteryear for you, but I still use it daily. :P

I was referring to "Everyone" as most people, They would not shut it down if it still had a large, active, userbase.

I have had an account for a few years and use it to talk to a few people still, the texting feature is neat.

Edited by i430VX

I think they are shutting it down, despite the number of people who use it... but instead of what they made it into. IMO it isn't required to have AIM be as fully featured as it is. It has gotten too big to be viable vs the amount of users. If the service were to return to text and links only, and none of that other fancy stuff they added on top of it over the years, then it would not be any large impact for them.

Used the old AOL system when it was interesting with its own chat rooms back around 95-96.

I think it was around 97 AOL AIM popped out and was free to chat and use w/o an AOL subscription.  I think it worked on Windows 3.1.

Best compact version was 2.0 but the 4.0 version added a Buddy List restorer so you could sign on to any system and it'll recover the BL.

Sadly 4.0 worked even up to about 2 years ago and then they forced users to upgrade version.  Eventually after being forced up the ladder each time I upgraded the version I just stopped.  All the newer versions when I did check them out the first time seemed bloated and unnecessary.

2.0 Also worked after the forced upgrades but I can't remember if it still works now but it got around the version verification at the cost of no BL recovery.

4.0 Had enough emoticons that I could deal with and file transfers.

If they could decide to revert back to V4.0 I bet they could afford to keep it running for a long time.

What made it great was the ability to choose your own customized username.  Unlike later programs like ICQ and Messenger they were okay but for simplicity nothing beats AOL AIM.  You could even send chat messages to yourself for testing.

The good old door open, door slam, chat message send and receive sounds.

They even made a movie based on its chat interface, "You've Got Mail."

It's a shame they are shutting it down.  I don't use those social media crap fest "Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, et cetera".  Too much bloat.  Nothing beats a 2MB install file that can chat with anyone.

Sadly those days are numbered.

They should just do a small subscription service $1 a year per user and maybe that would be enough to keep it afloat for v4.0.

And for a free version just have a lot of ads.

Edited by 98SE

16:04 <~amy> cant believe AIM is dead
16:04 <@SonicHack> ^^^
16:04 <~amy> or will be in 2 months
16:04 <~amy> :(
16:04 <~amy> a piece of internet history gone forever...
16:04 <@SonicHack> private server will happen eventually i guarantee u
16:04 <~amy> lol yea
16:04 <~amy> like MSN
16:04 <@SonicHack> yeah
16:04 <~amy> heh
16:05 <@SonicHack> for my messenging needs msn works rly
16:05 <@SonicHack> escargot on msn 7 and sometimes on 1 for when im bored
16:05 <~amy> i want to go on the msn private server to relive the nostalgic messaging experience
16:05 <~amy> lol
16:05 <@SonicHack> msn 1 is a pain to setup
16:05 <~amy> lol
16:05 <~amy> msn 7.0 is meant to be easiest?
16:06 <@SonicHack> pretty much
16:06 <~amy> OOH
16:06 <~amy> 7.5 IS PREPATHCED
16:06 <@SonicHack> i meant 7.5
16:06 <~amy> THAT WAS MY FAVOURITE VERSION
16:06 <~amy> I USED THE s*** OUT OF THAT BACK IN 2007
16:06 <@SonicHack> add me if u want
16:06 <@SonicHack> sonichack@hotmail.[REMOVED]
16:06 <~amy> will do when I get it setup
16:06 <@SonicHack> because im a loser
16:06 <~amy> lol [REMOVED]
16:06 <@SonicHack> yes
16:06 <~amy> u weeb
16:06 <@SonicHack> xdd
16:06 <~amy> xdddddd
16:06 <~amy> i have this xp vm
16:06 <~amy> i could use that
16:06 <~amy> lol
16:07 <@SonicHack> it works fine on crappy win dows 10
16:07 <~amy> XD
16:07 <~amy> but i use 7
16:07 <@SonicHack> it sh ould work fine
16:07 <~amy> yea but i want to fully relive the experience
16:07 <~amy> so xp vm is needed
16:07 <~amy> if i could find sp1 then it would be even better
16:08 <~amy> someone should patch the windows messenger installed in xp
16:08 <~amy> would be a pain tho
16:09 <@SonicHack> tru
16:09 <@SonicHack> wait what version is it
16:09 <~amy> idk
16:09 <~amy> you know, the one that comes with xp

Some IRC logs from my own channel, we were just discussing this thing and then went on to discuss about MSN's alt server. :P

Edited by IceFairyAmy

• 2 months later...