Dual boot Win 10 with Win 10?

XPerties

So I've seen many articles and post here about dual booting but I haven't been able to find anything related to dual booting win 10 with win 10. I should buy a separate laptop as I DJ on the side but instead I'm trying to run my DJ software on a clean version so I don't run into any glitches but still need my editing software for videos, graphics and music. Anyone know if they play nice with one another?

36 minutes ago, XPerties said:

Do they play nice with one another like other dual boot systems?

Why shouldn't they?

I mean, it is true that Windows 10 sucks, but there are decency limits to its suckyness anywyay ;).

As long as they are on separate partitions, there shuld be no issues whatsoever.

But - at first sight - what you want/need looks more like what a "Windows To Go" install is about:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview

which can more or less created also in other versions of Windows besides Education and Enterprise:
http://www.intowindows.com/4-tools-to-create-windows-to-go-usb-of-windows-10/

I would personally recommend you to try such an install (I personally prefer Rufus, but of course the other tools are OK as well) of course the capabilities (speed) of the USB stick you will try it on might make sensible differences, and a fastish stick is recommended, but *any* stick will give you an idea of how i works and see if it fits your needs.

jaclaz

On 10/16/2017 at 1:30 PM, XPerties said:

So I've seen many articles and post here about dual booting but I haven't been able to find anything related to dual booting win 10 with win 10. I should buy a separate laptop as I DJ on the side but instead I'm trying to run my DJ software on a clean version so I don't run into any glitches but still need my editing software for videos, graphics and music. Anyone know if they play nice with one another?

You've come to the right place.  I've done dual and multi OS booting from DOS to Windows 10.

I've done multiple Windows 2000 installations on the same drive and each is selectable.

The same goes for XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

For Windows 10 I haven't done this but I don't see any reason why it won't work.

You'll have to have to make a separate partition for the #2 Windows 10 to reside.

Now since this is meant to be a clean install of Windows 10 then yes you can have a #2 installation on the same drive and the boot loader will show both Windows 10 installations.

Now if your DJ software works on XP-Windows 7 I don't see any reason why not install the DJ software on those older OS which will run faster and possibly less bloat if it works on XP.  Just remember for the novice it's much easier to install the older OS in that order to the newer ones.  So if you already have a W10 system up and running you'll need a 3rd party tool to restore the boot loader if you install an older one like XP or Windows 7 which will kill off the W10 from being seen.

But for your case try the dual Windows 10 setup and don't activate the 2nd installation.  It will still function but will have W10 activation pop ups so when it expires you could reinstall #2 Windows 10 again without activation.  With this method you won't need to purchase a second Windows 10.  You will have to disconnect your ethernet or wifi connection and disable your ethernet and Wifi devices in the Device Manager so they don't try and connect to the internet or it may try and reactivate or add self updates to this clean copy Windows 10 installation you want to use.

If you're 100% certain you won't change your hardware configuration from the #1 Windows 10 installation then you can activate the #2 Windows 10 installation since it won't count towards the hardware changes and will assume you're still using the #1 Windows 10 copy.

If you change enough of the hardware around removing/adding it could trigger a hardware change so the safe way is to not activate the #2 Windows 10 install if you only have (1) Authentic Windows 10 license.  The new Windows 10 hardware change detection might not be as stringent as in the past.  I seem to recall they only lock down the motherboard and all other hardware changes will not trigger anything but don't quote me on that.  If you're okay with reinstalling #2 Windows 10 from time to time without activating you should be fine with using it in this manner privately.  If this is for some DJ gig and you have your Windows 10 OS screen outputted on a large display and using software in real time the Windows 10 pop up might be annoying and a little embarrassing.  Behind closed doors if it doesn't bother you this will work.

Edited by 98SE

12 hours ago, 98SE said:

You've come to the right place.

Maybe you could have noticed that Xperties ia a "Patron" of MS with a membership dating back to August 18, 2001, he already knows perfectly that this is the right place, where he came (back) to. :)

jaclaz

13 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Maybe you could have noticed that Xperties ia a "Patron" of MS with a membership dating back to August 18, 2001, he already knows perfectly that this is the right place, where he came (back) to. :)

jaclaz

Yes I noticed it way before I posted.  My statement had nothing to do with when he originally created his account.  And other messages already hinted to the "welcome back."  IT is the right place to return to now that I'm here with the right info and experience applicable to his query, ;)

And since you're also here it adds to the relevance. :w00t:

"Cheers theme song playing" in the background.

hahahaha, Nice to see the comedy still at MSFN.  Yes I once was one of xper minions and worked hard and long hours for a good man at a great forums. 

Anyways, Iv'e decided to order a WD Black 1tb SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache hard drive and reinstall starting with an older version of windows as "98SE" had suggested. I need no bloat and fastest platform for my DJing side until I'm able to grab a apple laptop for DJing. Ill install win 10 for my second boot. Ive been so out of the windows loop in the last 5-6 years with starting my other company. I appreciate everyones feedback as always.

3 hours ago, XPerties said:

hahahaha, Nice to see the comedy still at MSFN.  Yes I once was one of xper minions and worked hard and long hours for a good man at a great forums. 

Anyways, Iv'e decided to order a WD Black 1tb SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache hard drive and reinstall starting with an older version of windows as "98SE" had suggested. I need no bloat and fastest platform for my DJing side until I'm able to grab a apple laptop for DJing. Ill install win 10 for my second boot. Ive been so out of the windows loop in the last 5-6 years with starting my other company. I appreciate everyones feedback as always.

LOL. Cheers! :thumbup

Relating to XP 32-bit, Which DJ program are you using?  More importantly what is the computer Motherboard Chipset?

I remember the MAYA44 was quite popular in the old days what sound card are you using for it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 9:07 PM, 98SE said:

LOL. Cheers! :thumbup

Relating to XP 32-bit, Which DJ program are you using?  More importantly what is the computer Motherboard Chipset?

I remember the MAYA44 was quite popular in the old days what sound card are you using for it?

I've gone back and forth between virtualdj and serato and will probably stick with serato. I just scored a hp omen $1400 laptop for $400 bucks. Some guy was hard up for cash on facebook marketplace so I took advantage. 

18 hours ago, XPerties said:

I've gone back and forth between virtualdj and serato and will probably stick with serato. I just scored a hp omen $1400 laptop for $400 bucks. Some guy was hard up for cash on facebook marketplace so I took advantage. 

Wow that's a good deal and does your "XPerties" name have anything to do with a preference for XP?

If you're using a laptop for the DJing what external sound device will use you for the inputs/output?