Restoring the "Connect" App

Dave-H

I had an error message constantly in my event logs that Windows was trying to uninstall the Miracast app and failing, so I decided to try removing it myself.

Unfortunately I misunderstood things and I used "install_wim_tweak" to remove the "Connect" app by mistake!

This app is called "Microsoft-PPIProjection-Package".

I then realised that what I should have deleted was "Windows.MiracastView"!

I deleted that and the errors went away, but I now want to reinstall the "Connect" app, but I'm finding this very difficult.

I found its folder in C:\Windows\SystemApps was empty (presumably deleted by install_wim_tweak) so I re-added the files from my install.wim.

I then tried reinstalling by running

Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.PPIProjection_cw5n1h2txyewy\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

in Powershell, thinking this would restore it.

It didn't work, I just got a message saying -

"Rejecting a request to register from appxmanifest.xml because the manifest is not in the package root".

As far as I can see the relevant appxmanifest.xml is exactly where it should be, matching all the other folders in the SystemApps folder.

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong? There don't seem to be an file permissions or ownership issues.

Thanks, Dave.

:)

Just to come back on this, I eventually restored the "Connect" app by doing a repair reinstall of Windows 10, which I guess is the only way to do it!

I was then still getting the error messages on every boot about the system being unable to uninstall the Miracast app.

I found the source of the problem eventually by a registry search, which I'll pass on for anyone else seeing this.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Deleted\EndOfLife
There will be an entry for the Miracast app there, which shows how many times the system has tried to remove it, so it looks as if the system is trying to delete it on boot as "End of Life" for some reason.
I deleted its entry, and the errors went away.
Why it was trying to delete Miracast I have no idea, I can only assume it's because my system doesn't support it.
Miracast appears in the apps list when viewed with Powershell, and it says it's OK, but there is no installed folder listed (it should be in C:\Windows\Miracast, which doesn't exist on my system) so I've no idea what its status actually is.
Anyway it doesn't seem to be doing any harm, and at least the error messages have now gone away, let's hope they stay that way!

:yes:

• 1 year later...

Very old thread, but the "solution" is extremely misleading (for anybody that could find this thread via uncle G)

Ofcourse one can re-install anything removed using KNARZ SxSExport

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/package-telemetry-removal-guide-v1-0.70798/page-3#post-1271056