Does Oformat.exe run on W98/DOS?

Nomen

I was going to use the oformat.exe program on a win-98 system (booted into DOS) but got a "incorrect MS DOS version" error.  I used setver to create a setting for oformat.exe and set it to 8.00 and rebooted and verified the setver setting but oformat still complained about the dos version.  Format.com from win-me does seem to need a setver setting of 8.00 to run on Win-98 dos (7.10).  Has anyone run this oformat.exe program, and did you use setver?

Would be nice if you could provide the exact EXE file.

Try using Windows ME's bootdisk for OFORMAT.COM.

Setver never helped in anything for me :) A nice question to add while on this topic, is why IO.SYS forces loading SETVER.EXE while starting 9x? What is it used for?

I downloaded the win-me boot disk and booted ME-dos from floppy.  Oformat apparently *is* happy running under ME.  But I tried to format a drive and got "Your program caused a divide overflow error."  Tried this on two different systems (same target drive).  The drive is a 1 TB sata with a 250 gb primary partition and 750 gb extended partition containing 3 logical partitions of 250 gb each.  Partitioning was done with fdisk 121.  After not being able to run oformat, I formatted the primary partition with win98 format.com (worked fine).  Was trying to format the second partition with Oformat after booting ME-DOS.  Can't do it (divide overflow).

What do we know about large drives and oformat.exe (7/17/2004)?

Bonus question:  Is there a dos-mode format program that will let you specify cluster size ?  I think as of 5 or so years ago the answer was no - was wondering if that has changed.