Artificial AMD driver block on Windows 8.0

greenhillmaniac

Did you find the solution to the problem? Did messing with DALNonStandardModesBCD entries help? I guess you could compare the full list in registry after each driver is installed and maybe use the list from the older driver if it's really connected to that for some reason. But it seems strange that the default resolution list would make the whole thing crash on one OS but not the other. Would be good to know if monitor's native resolution ends up on it.

DALNonStandardModesBCD# entries can be edited with Registry Editor after the driver is installed, one could boot the OS with just the basic driver, then search for DALNonStandardModes, they should be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000. The 0000 might differ on systems with multiple graphics cards installed or if just the driver is installed but the card is not present. The format is quite simple, it's a sequence of resolutions and refresh rates, spread through multiple entries, I have 4. I've also noticed with various drivers for older cards that the default entries can differ. They can be used to add custom resolutions, I use it to add 1440x1080 resolution to the list by adding:

14 40 10 80 00 00 00 60

It's not encoded and can be read like you read any plain number on the paper. In Registry Editor, each mode ends up in its own line, so it's easier to read from there. So the first four bytes are width x height, followed by 3 zero bytes and finally the refresh rate. Not sure about the higher numbers, I guess you use last two bytes for higher refresh rates. My hardware is not that fancy so I can't try to see. Interestingly, some resolutions in my list have refresh rate set to zero. Under normal circumstances, changes can be tested just by disabling and re-enabling graphics card in Device Manager.

Just tested @Tripredacus's suggestions, but they didn't work...

I'm still convinced there's something going on at a sys file level that's keepign these drivers from installing, be it explicit Windows 8 blocking or just implicit code that prevents the installation by messing with the dxgkrnl.sys. Just tested with the recently released Crimson 17.12.1, but still got the same error.

If anybody has the knowledge to debug drivers and check what's causing the BSOD please post here or PM me.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Would you know any fixes to try?

contrary to my earlier beliefs, I haven't found any specific NT 6.2 blocking code in the kernel mode driver (in fact there is Vista stuff in 17.9.3). So try replacing dxgkrnl.sys with the one from 8.1.

3 minutes ago, win32 said:

contrary to my earlier beliefs, I haven't found any specific NT 6.2 blocking code in the kernel mode driver (in fact there is Vista stuff in 17.9.3). So try replacing dxgkrnl.sys with the one from 8.1.

I think this will break more than it'd fix, but I'll try it once some files finish copying

17 minutes ago, win32 said:

Was right, booting into safe mode gives a 0xc000021a stop code, booting with driver signature disabled causes a BSOD that instantly reboots

maybe that specific part of dxgkrnl can be patched. but if it's like win32k.sys in Vista where changing a single byte anywhere causes a BSOD, then I'm not sure what to do. I don't plan much for 8.x right now anyway.

2 minutes ago, win32 said:

maybe that specific part of dxgkrnl can be patched. but if it's like win32k.sys in Vista where changing a single byte anywhere causes a BSOD, then I'm not sure what to do. I don't plan much for 8.x right now anyway.

So is a basic fix going to be attempted, or will you wait?