Latest Updates Mis-Labelled?

Dave-H

I've just had the latest Patch Tuesday updates, and am a bit puzzled by the labelling of a couple of them in the "View installed update history" window.

The main update is labelled "2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for amd-64 based Systems (KB4048955)"

The Malicious Software Removal Tool is labelled "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows Insider Preview and Server Technical preview x64 - November 2017 (KB890830)"

I'm not on any "preview" version of Windows 10 as far as I know, and surely the first one should say "x64" not "amd-64" on an Intel-based system, which mine is?

The Flash Player update seems to be labelled as I would expect.
Is everyone seeing this, and is it actually wrong?
:dubbio:

If you have a look into the WinSxS folder (at least on Windows 8 that I have) you will see names beginning with "amd64-" instead of "x64-". The fact is that AMD was the first to release processors of the x64 type (the Intel Itanium - IA 64 - was released before them but it is another thing) and the "amd64" terminology remained in some extend.

Thanks, that's interesting to know, I had noticed folders called "amd64....." on the system myself, and wondered why.

However, I'm pretty sure that my Windows Updates were not labelled with "amd64" before, I'm almost certain that they always said "x64" until today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

You can also open Command Prompt, type "set" and you'll see PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE variable is set to AMD64. I would attribute the sudden change in the update labeling convention to Microsoft being Microsoft.

Can't comment on the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool update as I have those disabled. If this tells anything. Looks like the one you got is the same size as the non-preview version also available for older systems.

Thanks very much!
That probably explains why my system is being detected as amd64, but it doesn't explain why the labelling of the updates in the list has apparently suddenly changed. Presumably this applies to all systems, not just mine, so is everyone now seeing this?
As I said, the Flash Player update is still labelled x64 as it always was.
As you said, probably just Microsoft being Microsoft!
:lol:
The Malicious Software Removal Tool is a bit of a mystery though, as the catalogue shows a version for "normal" Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
Why I would be getting a different version (which may not actually be different at all of course) is very strange.
Anyone else seeing this?

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

The Malicious Software Removal Tool is a bit of a mystery though, as the catalogue shows a version for "normal" Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
Why I would be getting a different version (which may not actually be different at all of course) is very strange.
Anyone else seeing this?

Right, I have another copy of latest release build of Win10 on a virtual machine, where a MRT update slipped through before I disabled it. I also got the same preview version as you. Doesn't make much sense, they haven't announced any new features in MRT, have they? The only difference between versions should be definitions of known malicious software.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Presumably this applies to all systems, not just mine, so is everyone now seeing this?

Yes, everybody on the particular build (currently Fall Creators Update) gets the same updates for Windows itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this month everything seems to be back to normal!

It says "x64-based" again in the label for the Cumulative Update instead of "amd64-based", and the Malicious Software Removal Tool entry looks normal again now too.

I guess last month was a one-off glitch!

:yes:

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Well this month everything seems to be back to normal!

It says "x64-based" again in the label for the Cumulative Update instead of "amd64-based", and the Malicious Software Removal Tool entry looks normal again now too.

I guess last month was a one-off glitch!

:yes:

It's more of a signum