Firefox Quantum

I got the push for Firefox Quantum today and already I don't like it.

- It still supports themes (as per the settings gizmo) but any old themes look like crap. When I try to get some new themes (there is a link in the settings panel) the page loads up and is all blank.

- Bookmark folders are no longer displayed in the main menu. I had all my bookmarks organized into folders, and if you look into the Bookmark section (Library is now the main area) it only shows the recent bookmarks. The only way to view your folders is to make a few extra clicks to show the Bookmarks Sidebar.

- All of my add-ons are gone except Web Developer. It would be really nice that an automatic upgrade would come up and check your add-ons, and if any were not compatible, then ask the user if they want to upgrade. Because there are some situations where a person may not want to use the new version without some things. I can live without my translation add-on, but the loss of the security add-ons are the equivalent of deciding to uninstall my antivirus.

It may end up being that I will kick Firefox to the curb and move into Pale Moon (I have that on other computers) if this keeps up. I'm already having to use Chrome more often as I encounter websites that do not work correctly on Firefox and even some MS websites not working with IE anymore.

If you are on the new Firefox Quantum and find any tricks or know how to get the bookmarks to be back, post them here. Or if you have anything you like about the new version.

Hmmmm I tried Quantum on Nightly and again yesterday as a release.  Bookmarks were in the top left.  As for add-ons, I only needed uBlock and that has been ported to WebExtensions.

But the speed increase is quite perceptible.  My plan is, I'll stay on the Moon until I replace my machine, and then I'll move to Quantum full-time.

There is some usrChrome.css code I use to place the tab bar underneath the address bar.  But I like the Photon interface.

:)

Edited by JodyT

I'm seeing an opposite speed improvement. Websites seem slower than in the previous version. Also noticed instances where some tabs are unloaded (I have not been looking at memory usage) so when I switch between tabs, sometimes the tab is blank and the page gets reloaded.

8 hours ago, JodyT said:

I do live in Southern Ontario, just north of Toronto.

:)

My plan is, I'll stay on the Moon until I replace my machine, and then I'll move to Quantum full-time.

;)
I know, I'm just being silly. I go through Richmond Hill sometimes on the occasional trip up to northern Ontario.

@Tripredacus I haven't done too much testing, it just seemed faster. Perhaps my internet was just behaving a little better yesterday. 

Edited by i430VX
Additions...

I think part of it may have been that I normally block most parts of websites and currently I am not able to do so. Noscript is not yet released for Quantum. Perhaps it not seems slower because it is now actually downloading all those videos and other crap that people put on their websites.

On 16.11.2017 at 3:20 PM, Tripredacus said:

I'm seeing an opposite speed improvement.

And I don't. At home it's unnoticeable, but at work, where I run really slow PC, it's new, optimized way is a real improvement, and ability to kill freezing tab without the whole window is a miracle. Ok, it's windows 10 ugly, but aesthetics are a minor thing to me, and as long as they preserve good old menu bar, I can use it. I will only grieve about 'toggle animated GIFs' add-on, but it's not as common-use as it was when I installed it.

I am seeing screen tearing when scrolling on pages, such as if I am fast enough in scrolling the page isn't rendered and the lower part of my browser window will be all black. I cannot get a screenshot of this behaviour.

PS: I see the Noscript icon appears all by itself and so I guess all is well (so far) with this browser. ;)

Sounds like you need to refresh your Firefox. Had no problems at all with the upgrade, only one addon disabled due to being Legacy/not WebExtension compatible.

Edit: also shouldn't this be in the Software forum rather than Networks and the Internet? I mean, Firefox is software.

The new UI looks like Edge's. I refuse to touch it.

Plus, Firefox's only edge over Chrome pre-Quantum was the flexibility of customisations: now that is gone, it is now pretty much a complete copy of Google Chrome, the browser they oh-so-idol and have some sort of fetish for...

I will stay with Pale Moon thank you!

On 11/22/2017 at 11:42 PM, Tarun said:

Sounds like you need to refresh your Firefox. Had no problems at all with the upgrade, only one addon disabled due to being Legacy/not WebExtension compatible

I will be first to blame the video card on that computer. It does not support Aero in Win7, so if the new browser is using some different rendering option then it would be my first guess.