Searching for a few utilities

FantasyAcquiesce

@~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

A modern Office utility? It's been years since Win9x was supported. I have Office 97 to offer, but in my opinion Office 2000 and Office XP are still very useful with the File Format Converter/Compatibility Pack, and so are too new to offer without getting in trouble with Microsoft. They aren't really obsolete, while Office 95 and Office 97 pretty much are.

In October 2003, the Internet Archive (WayBack Machine) was granted exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) to protect at-risk software that is obsolete: http://archive.org/about/dmca.php and https://www.copyright.gov/1201/docs/librarian_statement_01.html

At this point Office 97 is 20 years old (it was released November 1996), and I have never gotten any copyright complaints. I have a copyright disclaimer on my site, and I don't think Microsoft really cares at this point. My intention is to preserve rare and/or irreplaceable software, along the same lines as the WayBack Machine. If and when they complain, I'll take it down. Hopefully that day will never come.

Edited by sdfox7
DMCA

I have a rare version of Office 2007 converterpack that will install on windows 98 and allow office 97 to open docx files.  If you want let me know.  Anyways back to what I was saying ABI word is probably the best you can get on such an old machine like 600 MHZ cpu becasue it is so light weight and basically up to date standards.  I kinda wonder if the windows 2000XP old cigaretes wrapper could be modified to run on 98 opening up newer possibility.    I had been thinking a lot about ways you could get a modern web browser working on 9x and thought that our best hope is probably a browser that runs on Java like lobo or jxbrowser.

Edited by Destro

1 hour ago, Destro said:

I have a rare version of Office 2007 converterpack that will install on windows 98 and allow office 97 to open docx files.  If you want let me know.  

Could you please share this file?

Thank You! :D

3 hours ago, Destro said:

I have a rare version of Office 2007 converterpack that will install on windows 98 and allow office 97 to open docx files.  If you want let me know.  Anyways back to what I was saying ABI word is probably the best you can get on such an old machine like 600 MHZ cpu becasue it is so light weight and basically up to date standards.  I kinda wonder if the windows 2000XP old cigaretes wrapper could be modified to run on 98 opening up newer possibility.    I had been thinking a lot about ways you could get a modern web browser working on 9x and thought that our best hope is probably a browser that runs on Java like lobo or jxbrowser.

Please share this! I'm sure everybody would love this!

I'm 1000% confident implanting W2K API and later is doable on 9x; Microsoft previously implanted unicode for 9x, third parties developed NTFS for 9x, ram patches for +512mb, implanting WPA2, people of this community creating wrappers for 7-Zip, SumatraPDF, rloew creating a slipstream-able 9x program, and the KernelEx project!

While we could in theory backport anything onto 9x the problem is who's willing to put the time and effort into it? Or better yet has the proper skills to do so? Not many know how 9x works under the hood besides rloew.

Might as well list all your ideas of backporting a modern browser somewhere, maybe someone can try them ^_^ We also need a good list of programming software on 9x along with driver development programs. Maybe while I'm at it, I could create an updated list of working software on 9x.

OK I may have mislead slightly.  After I retested this.  You have to use kernel EX and select windows 2000 Sp4 to install.  But it natively works on 98 with office 97 once installed without Kernel EX.  I believe this is like version 1.0 basically of the 2007 compatibility pack.  It works on windows 2000 and windows 98 once you install it with Kernel EX compatibility mode but like I said kernel EX isn't needed after that.

<direct download link to unredistributable file removed>

Hi ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~,

If you have a taste for adventure and exotic, I'd advise you to give ClarisWorks 5 a try for your office needs. It is soooo much fun!

Best :-)

On 11/29/2017 at 12:01 PM, assenort said:

Hi ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~,

If you have a taste for adventure and exotic, I'd advise you to give ClarisWorks 5 a try for your office needs. It is soooo much fun!

Best :-)

Keep it comin'! I love 9x software!

On 11/29/2017 at 5:31 AM, Destro said:

OK I may have mislead slightly.  After I retested this.  You have to use kernel EX and select windows 2000 Sp4 to install.  But it natively works on 98 with office 97 once installed without Kernel EX.  I believe this is like version 1.0 basically of the 2007 compatibility pack.  It works on windows 2000 and windows 98 once you install it with Kernel EX compatibility mode but like I said kernel EX isn't needed after that.

Thanks, maybe I could try modding the installer to allow 9x >:3