list of all updates for Windows 8.1x64

Dibya

2 hours ago, Dibya said:

Yes I want.

I have to install your update collection + update 1 ?

If you have an iso with Update 1 you don't need to install the Updates in the April 2014 folder. If you have the latest Windows 8.1 ISO with Update 3 integrated you don't need to install the updates in the November 2014 folder. Simple as that. I also have a folder with a bunch of hotfixes that Microsoft never released on Windows Update, that fix a number of issues.

I'll see where I can upload it, and I'll post a link here.

27 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

If you have an iso with Update 1 you don't need to install the Updates in the April 2014 folder. If you have the latest Windows 8.1 ISO with Update 3 integrated you don't need to install the updates in the November 2014 folder. Simple as that. I also have a folder with a bunch of hotfixes that Microsoft never released on Windows Update, that fix a number of issues.

I'll see where I can upload it, and I'll post a link here.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

@Dibya, sorry for the delay in uploading the updates. Was having trouble uploading through Firefox on Mega... Ended up installing the Desktop Client. Also, real life got in the way.

Here's all the updates. The only outdated files are the Monthly Rollup, the Flash update and the Malware Removal Tool (they're from last month). Everything else is OK.

https://mega.nz/#F!1oJSiCCQ!1qHbKcZQEgfAPL937WL15g

Edited by greenhillmaniac

What about KUC Update Checker? It automates whole updating process and can remove some obsolete updates. It ended up installing about 100 updates on my PC, even though Windows Update thought I was updated before I ran it. There's a guide in the FAQ on how to use it, some options are named a bit differently in current versions, on the page with the section containing 4 checkboxes together and some of them are mentioning LDR/GDR stuff, all can be checked. Judging by their descriptions, I assume it's the correct choice. One might end up with a bunch of permanent superseded updates that cannot be removed, I suppose these can be safely ignored. It may also have to be run a number of times, until it shows there are no more updates to add.

Unfortunately, despite the tons of updates, Windows 8.1 still has a number of unresolved bugs, these are the things I've observed on my own:

• Event log (Applications and Services->Microsoft->Windows->Diagnostics-Performance->Operational) is being spammed with events with IDs 500 and 501 at one hour interval; DWM is complaining about CPU resources being over-utilized and degraded responsiveness, even though in reality, everything functions normally.
  • Group policy setting "Turn off Application Compatibility Engine" is ignored. This issue appeared in Windows 8.1 and is inherited by Windows 10 as well.
  • Disabling maximized windowed mode for the old fullscreen DIrectDraw/Direct3D up to version 7 based applications/games will not work correctly when having multiple monitors enabled in extended mode. A number of DDraw/D3D calls will fail and monitors will blink like crazy like on this video. This issue is exclusive to Windows 8.1.
  • Another DDraw bug. when switching to and away from the particular application/game that runs at the same display mode (resolution, refresh rate) as the desktop, it waits and timeouts on DWM_DX_FULLSCREEN_TRANSITION_EVEN event object. The timeout is 3 seconds, the event is only signaled when the desktop resolution/refresh rate doesn't match the application's. So unless some monitor needs more than 3 seconds to change display mode, running in different display mode makes that scenario faster. This one is present in WIndows 8 and above.

I'm also having some problems with Color Management, turns out the color profile that comes with my monitor makes everything darker. Apparently, it wasn't used while I still had NVIDIA card in my PC (probably their software being in charge of color management), which started causing problems recently so I had to replace it with older ATI card I still have laying around. I've removed the profile under Color Management globally, made sure it doesn't appear neither if I tick Use my settings for this device and guess what happened today, when I started Windows everything was red. What the hell??? I ended up configuring ATI Tray Tools to reset colors on every startup, hopefully that'll work. When I removed that profile on my test Win10 installation, the colors were reset immediately. I don't know how Windows 7 handles this one.

Windows 8.1 is really weird, Windows 7 is easier to manage from my experience. And even this one has its quirks, eg. if I remember correctly it introduced the bug with flickering when rendering things with GDI, see this and the video. The link to the test application no longer works, but the visual problem it causes can be observed in the old Pinball that came with Windows XP when the ball looks as if it disappeared at high speeds. The workaround is to apply NoGDIHWAcceleration shim to affected application with Compatibility Administrator, it's part of Windows ADK on Windows 8+. Seems like one of those things that should work correctly out of the box as it's not caused by using GDI wrong AFAIK.

There are some other things, but I'll stop here.

I managed to fix colors by messing around in Color Management GUI some more and after getting it to load the default ICC profile, the colors now stick even after removing it from the list for the selected monitor, which is the default state, without ATI Tray Tools' interference. Now what's really interesting, those settings which must be copied from the profile somewhere else can under certain unknown circumstances get messed up in a way that you end up with a black screen with only mouse cursor visible.

Can't deny the overall list of addressed issues with updates is impressive. But I guess this is it as mainstream support will end soon.

Edited by UCyborg

Thanks for the list.  It's always good to have something to compare off of, and especially interesting to notice the differences in the mainstream patches.  I'll attach a text file of what I got off of my 8.1 x64 computer when I echoed my list of files here off of Windows Update about 2 hours ago.

The question I really haven't answered between doing the two Windows Update programs I wrote and posted on here is how to pare out the non-essential stuff.  Running the comparison program I have here takes out a lot of non-essentials, but I'm hoping there's a good way to tell to be able to identify the KB #'s and uninstall them.  Or at the very least clean up the garbage of old updates on a computer (got 533 installed on mine right now, some of that has to be old stuff).

patchlist.zip

Edit: Also, does anyone know anything about getting an offline version of the DirectX installer compatible with Windows 8.1 (I got an online one) or any of the .NET compatibility layer stuff that it insists on you downloading on trying to run a 3.5 program?

Edited by Glenn9999

20 hours ago, HarryTri said:

For color management there is a very helpful utility (for me at least), QuickGama. You can find it here:

https://quickgamma.de

I'd just like to reset everything related to colors to how it is by default and failing miserably. Thought I solved it, but the problem just migrated over to the secondary monitor. Except that now I get completely black screen with only mouse cursor visible.

7 hours ago, Glenn9999 said:

Edit: Also, does anyone know anything about getting an offline version of the DirectX installer compatible with Windows 8.1 (I got an online one) or any of the .NET compatibility layer stuff that it insists on you downloading on trying to run a 3.5 program?

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) This installs some DX9 extensions and stuff like XInput and older XAudio components. The rest of DirectX is part of the OS. As for .NET, did you enable .NET Framework 3.5 from Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on or off?

Edit: Right, .NET Framework 3.5 install might require internet connection for the first time...

Edited by UCyborg

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) This installs some DX9 extensions and stuff like XInput and older XAudio components. The rest of DirectX is part of the OS. As for .NET, did you enable .NET Framework 3.5 from Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on or off?

Edit: Right, .NET Framework 3.5 install might require internet connection for the first time...

It's been a while since I attempted to load the OS, but if I recall, there was something wrong (some kind of error message or the like) that kept me from loading the DX User Runtimes copy that I had here from Windows XP.   I'll compare the file I get off of that link to see.  And yes, the .NET Framework 3.5 does require an Internet connection when you try to install it for the first time.  And as I do quite remember, the offline version of that I have here doesn't work with Windows 8.1 at all.

You can install .NET Framework 3.5 from Windows 8 install media using DISM. Open Command Prompt as admin and run:

Dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Replace D: with wherever you have DVD/installation ISO mounted.

The DX June 2010 runtimes I linked work on all systems from XP to 10 AFAIK. Just one small thing is still missing on Vista and newer, Direct3D Retained Mode runtime, you can either download it from dgVoodoo 2 download page or take d3drm.dll from Windows XP install, it's in \Windows\System32 on 32-bit system and place it in \Windows\SysWOW64 on your 64-bit Windows 8.1 installation.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

You can install .NET Framework 3.5 from Windows 8 install media using DISM. Open Command Prompt as admin and run:

Dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Replace D: with wherever you have DVD/installation ISO mounted.

Thanks for the tips.  However on this, I get an error text:

"Error: 0x800f081f  The source files could not be found."