Windows 10 TTK Tweak Toolkit

RanCorX2

my onedrive share: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkTVL_4WP_RZ0AGd_OqDAo6-fOKj

There are a few freely available tools included which i claim NO CREDIT for, they are merely included for convenience, to save you time searching for and downloading them.

just reorganised everything, to make stuff a bit clearer to understand.

folders & descriptions:

Redist > (contains directx (last full redist rls), java (outdated), msxml (old), physx (old/legacy), visual c++ redists (assorted), vulkan redist

>DIRECTX

>Java

>MSXML

>PhysX

>VC

>Vulkan

Windows Toolkit>

>Portable Tools>

>dGPU Tools (gpu-z, nvidia inspector etc)

>Dism++ (performs cleanup operations etc)

>MyUninstaller (useful uninstaller)

>Process Hacker (task manager)

>Registry Tools (assorted)

>Windows Tweaks>

>Anti SpyTelem 10 (few tools to disable telemetry and other spying stuff)

>AppX Removal (uninstalls windows 10 apps, advanced removal folder is yet to be added which will do a full clean, folders and registry)

>Boot & OS (enable legacy F8 menu and a few bcd tweaks)

>Component Based Servicing (batch files for component cleanup and repair (the repair ones dont seem to work, might work for some but all the machines i tested them on always ask for source files even when the location is specified!)

>File Permissions (empty for now)

>GUI (tool for reducing window border padding)

>Networking (uninstalls unneeded network protocols from active network adapter)

>OS Security (disable services that are classed as security holes for possible ransomware threats, plus other old security risk services)

>OS Services (disable unneeded services, drivers)

>Registry (various tweaks)

>svchost (returns svchost to grouped processes like previous windows, i.e. not 100+ svchost processes)

>Task Scheduler (disable unneeded tasks)

>Timer Resolution (timer resolution service, supposed to help reduce dpc latency, prevent micro stutters in games etc)

Edited by RanCorX2
link updated for shared folder(s)

• 2 weeks later...

still working on appx removals, so far done the following;

removed - windowsapps folder, printdialog folder, infusedapps folder

support files for cortana, maps, contacts/mail/calendar rt, biometrics, gaming/xbox (gamemode, gamebar, xbl etc, but keeps gip for xb one controller support), store, content delivery, cloud experience host, aad (azure active directory) and some other files

trawled the registry and removed 99% of references to the system apps and store apps, some things have to remain for the following to work;

settings app - all registry entries

shell experience host - all registry entries (including pen workspace and action center as they point to shell exp host, so i left them alone)

one or two reg entries that referenced cortana which when removed broke the start menu (i've made a blacklist of entries not to remove)

i've made scripts to delete all the above and have categorised them in a folder called Registry\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT , HKEY_CURRENT_USER and so on

wildcards have been used and powershell and standard batch files, also psexec as there was several hundred clsid, instance entries to take ownership of and delete but the powershell script couldn't handle the length of the list and kept crapping out...so i just used psexec to merge the reg file that deletes the entries under the system user which seems to work.

still got a few hundred more entries to test delete.

also made a batch file to remove optional components listed under Windows Features in programs and features. (leaves you with the core optional features .net, ie, wmp, directplay, powershell)

and finally language cleanup which consists of;

winsxs lang file removals, system32/wow64 lang file removals & registry lang entry removals

example - uk users installs en-GB pack, then you can remove en-US, however if you try removing en-US files with no other pack installed you will brick the OS.

so if any other language pack is installed you can remove the default en-US files

my winsxs folder is down to some 10,XXX files and that's without touching ntlite, just install wim tweak and some batch files. (was 14,XXX+)

scrubbed the language file removals, does break some things, probably why i archived my original batches...

Edited by RanCorX2

gave up using powershell as it was too frustrating and trying to find good examples of code is very difficult as there doesn't see to be any "simple" methods to take ownership of multiple registry keys/subkeys, at least i couldn't find any....the only semi decent script i found doesn't like long lists of reg keys, it crashes powershell if you make the list too long, also slows down with loads of errors if you have already taken ownership of some keys but add more to list and re-launch the script, so for me it is useless, not buying "powershell is awesome", give me command prompt anyday...

subinacl was useless, says registry keys don't exist for some in list and ones it found said access denied, couldn't work out if setacl did subkeys any examples were not to be found, only ones dealing with keys and not subkeys...

ended up finding runasti on github and have added that to some batches to delete reg keys as trustedinstaller, seems to do the job and no bs.

the main modern components of windows 10 seem to come under WindowsRuntime and i think it's connected to the now discontinued WindowsRT OS as the RT in that stands for runtime and there are dll system32 on windows 10 with RT in the descriptions. Windows 10 S replaced WinRT, the runtime seems to be one a core components of windows 10 as it's linked to many things.

i'm now doing removals of runtime components, so far i've removed store, payments, point of service, wallet, cortana, accounts control, biometrics, cloudexphost, holographic

5000+ reg entries removed and OS is still functional, taskbar / start menu and settings app are all working fine. i'm only removing the modern core stuff, not touching anything else.

completely killed the lock screen, doesn't throw up any error or cause the normal lock screen to freeze or not function, instead of the the modern lock screen appearing the standard one just appears like on previous windows versions.

these removals might be useful for creating a light windows 10 iso and will be much safer than ntlite.

Edited by RanCorX2

if anyone is still interested, i'm still working on removing stuff from windows 10 that is the modern components, leaving the win32 stuff untouched.

i'm in the process of sorting registry keys and categorising the lot, lots of guesswork and testing of removals...

split things into the following categories; (bracketed numbers equal components selected for removal)

core (21) example CCortana

core_immersive (10) example CICortana

immersive (15) examaple ISearch

windows_runtime (26) example Windows.Devices.Lights

related components (22) stuff related to above but in it's own catagory

i'm just guessing what C, CI & I mean in front of some reg entries, so gone with the above. when i'm done it'll be uploaded to my onedrive.

using a hex editor i've managed to remove cortana from the settings app, will see if i can remove the other stuff that doesn't do anything now like xbox, lockscreen etc, otherwise there's some useless buttons that just crash the app or just do nothing.

edit,

i'd much rather remove the crappy settings app and get some of the lost cpl settings back, i've added back display settings but it doesn't load atm, most of the registry data was missing so i added it back from windows 8.1 which still had a working display cpl, i think i need to replace some files next to see if that works... 

looks like settings app is here to stay, spent all day investigating but couldn't restore old display settings, only got a blank settings box to show up for title bar sizes under the display cpl, back to hex editing the settings app..

Edited by RanCorX2

made some good progress on my mini project, i've removed 50% of the runtime components (the core of the new windows that was introduced in 8.x), thousands of reg entries and also 90% of the services that were added in windows 8-10 and am still happy to report i have a working os.

shell exp host + settings app + defender, only apps installed now.

removed the following appmodel components;

shoulder tap, perception, lights, proximity, hotspot, wifi direct, perception, holographic (hydrogen, lens etc), edge, point of service, payments, xbox (xbls, gamesave, gamemode, gamemonitor, gamebar, storage etc), cortana / search, softlanding, enterprise stuff, onecore speech, bioenrollment, alljoyn, backgroundtransfer, cdm, print3d / printing3d / printdialog, store, share experience, sharedpc. smartcards, targeted content, wallet, broadcast dvr, workplace, cloud domain join   

edit;

wiped all registry traces of windowsapps and system apps (except the sechealthui which is used by defender), there were multiple locations in each reg hive so i created some ps scripts to remove those entries, had to use wild cards because they had version numbers that matched current installed os version, so they are removed by name of package and not by full key name.

organised removal files in a directory structure that gets copied to c:\ from wherever you store them, you simply drop some of the bat files on the runasti exe (that removes protected keys with trustedinstaller as owner) some are not protected so they can just be run normally, ps scripts need to be run by right click and run with pshell, they create a temporary ps drive with access to full reg hive, the standard access via pshell hides lots of keys.

Edited by RanCorX2

created a load of batches i'm naming windows 10 lite, which do the following;

hyper-v - removes packages not required for basic virtual machine use (can still add ide or scsi virtual hdd's, use remotefx vgpu etc)

removes fibre channel, smb, host guardian, pmem, basically things that the average home user most likely will not use, same goes for all the other batches.

windows defender - removes sense client, network inspection, management, device guard, application guard

speech - removes the speech engines and any related files

language features - removes all extra language packages but leaves core language pack intact (applies to en-US & en-GB users) any other language users will need to edit batches.

two batch files can be copied to winsxs once you take ownership, these remove ALL language files / folders, again, for en-US / en-GB users, batches will need to be edited for other users.

optional features - removes ALL optional features except; .NET, Hyper-V, DirectPlay, WMP, IE11, Powershell

misc removals - removes a bunch of other packages that won't break windows.

tablet pc - removes all packages related to tablet pc's, devices with sensors, screen rotation etc.

batches will be uploaded when finalised, still some testing to do.

Edited by RanCorX2