ST2000DL003 black magic serial commands

Hello!

Yesterday my old trusty ST2000DL003 suddenly disappeared and nothing I did mattered.
Eventually I stumbled upon all this serial console info and decided to give it a go.
Fortunately, after some soldering, fidgeting and cursing I managed to get the F3 T> prompt, where I entered the commands given in this tutorial.
Everything seemed ok, the drive even got detected by windows once or twice between the restarts.

Then this m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command screwed everything up.
And, of course, I did read all about it afterwards, how you shouldn't really mess with that and all that stuff.
That's what I get for rushing things  ike an id*** before actually reading the instructions.

Now I'm just trying to copy the failed disk to a new one so that I can recover the data.
R-Studio and DMDE do detect the partition and the files.

However, while copying the disk at random intervals just outputs the dreaded LED:000000BD FAddr:00008A23.
As a result, the copying stops and I have to power off and on the drive so that the copying can be continued.
That is of course a very arduous process, and I was wondering if there is a way to stop that from happening, so that the copy isn't interrupted.

Any ideas?

pics

IMG_20171207_030618.jpg

Capture.JPG

IMG_20171207_030506.jpg

IMG_20171207_030453.jpg

Edited by ssl666

Well, if it is still working (though with "random" interruptions) you are anyway a "lucky enough" peep :), as long as after a reset the disk comes back online "normally".

If I were you I would try imaging it with a tool capable of "restarting where failed".

There are two options that I know of:

1) a manual way, using something *like* Datarescuedd (Windows, GUI, but of course you can use the same approach from a Linux "plain" dd or ddrescue) to image in chunks:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/drdd.htm

http://reboot.pro/topic/15040-data-recovery-off-clicking-disk/?p=133567

a 5% size would probably be appropriate.

2) automated (but not that it will give you much advantage, since you need to be there to reset the disk when it fails) using (Linux only I believe) ddrescue or dd_rescue:

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

but if you use one of these there is no need to "reassemble" the image chunks in a new image.

Please note how there are different versions of ddrescue named differently and confusingly:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/211578/whats-the-difference-between-ddrescue-gddrescue-and-dd-rescue

Be aware that on other Seagate crappy hard disks (7200.11, not LP) we have seen cases where the disk, was revived but "maxed out" at an "initial" part only, cannot say if this is your case.

Keep the stupid thing cold/ventilated (an old AT/ATX PSU 12 cm in diam, placed at a few cm from the disk will do) while imaging.

As a side note (it greatly depends on how the disk was partitioned, assuming it was just a huge NTFS partition) you already imaged a large enough part of the disk (i.e. enough to contain the $MFT, so if you only need *some* files you could use the partial image to find the extents where those files ae on the disk and extract only the releant extents. (long and prone to errors, still ... )

jaclaz

Hey there jaclaz, thanks for replying!

It seems that I'm somewhat unlucky:

errors.thumb.JPG.50e39a81408270069f3193b8bb1f819f.JPG

With all these errors the process has slowed down dramatically.

The tools you linked sure seem strong alternatives, I'll give them a go if DMDE fails.

I already tried scanning the drive with R-Studio, and it went well, but once it hit this damaged area it pretty much gave up.
Add the LED crap on top of that, and you can guess what happened next :P
Let's hope that DMDE will manage to finish the copy, even with errors.

You're right about the $MFT though, I did stumble upon it with R-Studio.
Unfortunately the files in the disk are big so it doesn't really make a difference if I know where they are :(

Thanks again for your time man, cheers.

Edited by ssl666

18 minutes ago, ssl666 said:

With all these errors the process has slowed down dramatically.

Yep, this is "normal", it will likely "take forever" :( but as long as you keep the disk cool you should be hopefully fine.

The idea of ddrescue/dd_rescue is to reduce the stress on the disk, i.e. get first and as fast as possible as much as possible (what can be easily got) and then - later - go for the rest (this approach is "safer" as there is a risk that the disk might fail).

jaclaz

Just thinking aloud here, posting for future reference:

It seems that what I'm doing is something like "DDOSing" the LED error.
The recovery software is reading so fast that the LED error just keeps waiting, until it happens. Then I have to power cycle.

To accomplish that in DMDE I reduced the buffer size to 128 and set the sector skip on error to 2000.
The result is that it's of course disgustingly slow when encountering errors, but I can (relatively) safely let it do its thing and FINALLY go get some sleep!

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Inner ramblings pt. 2:

If you're determined to spend the rest of your days off trying to fix this stupid thing, you better make technology work for you, or your fingers will end up sore because of all the times you un/plugged the freaking SATA power cable:

IMG_20171209_173552.thumb.jpg.f167c7c52447861e477719cb2c6877ef.jpg

3 hours ago, ssl666 said:

Inner ramblings pt. 2:

If you're determined to spend the rest of your days off trying to fix this stupid thing, you better make technology work for you, or your fingers will end up sore because of all the times you un/plugged the freaking SATA power cable:

Hmmm, just in case (to avoid the cutting and soldering for those less inclined to DIY) what I would have used (actually what I normally use) is a power adapter like the one here (example only):

http://www.legitreviews.com/vantec-sata-ide-to-usb-3-adapter-review_131412

Inserted in an extension cord with a switch, like (again example only):

https://areaillumina.com/ciabatta-multipresa-elettrica-9-posti-interuttori-bipasso-presa-multipla-vultech.html

jaclaz