Boot issues with Windows 10 PE

wingers

Hi

I have created a working PE using WAIK under Windows 10

If I boot the ISO file in VirtualBox it boots really quickly and works fine

If I burn the ISO to CD/DVD and boot it on a real machine I get the blue logo, but it then sits for absolute ages before the spinning circle appears and it starts to boot - it does eventually go in, but can take several minutes

If I create USB using (MakeWinPEMedia /UFD D:\PE_TEMP G:) then it creates fine, but when trying to boot I get blue screen error with "winload.efi error 0xc0000225"

Any thoughts please

The last error is related to UEFI booting (that may - or may not - be the same booting you have in Virtualbox, I believe the default in Virtualbox is still BIOS).

A .ISO (possibly saved on a SSD accessed from Virtualbox (or Qemu, VmWare, etc,) is anyway an exceptionally fast (booting) media.

A real CD or DVD is among the slowest possible (boot) media available, if the PE build is not very, very minimal, it is quite normal that it takes minutes rather than seconds.

A USB stick is "midway" and there is a big difference depending on the USB standard used (both by the USB stick and the drivers of the motherboard, the BIOS/UEFI drivers used in the initial part).

So, set aside the last error, everything seems normal, you want to check if you are booting in UEFI mode or in BIOS (or CSM) mode, and if there are issues on your specific motherboard booting the one or the other way, UEFI booting from USB is usualy complicated and depending on a number of firmware settings.

jaclaz

Thanks for reply jaclaz

The ISO is very minimal - only about 300mb in size

UEFI implementation in Virtual Box seems flaky going on what I have read, so yes correct it is still using BIOS

If I create Win10PE_SE with winbuilder it boots so much quicker, so must be something I can change, as that is a 1.5gb ISO

I was just using CD for testing the PE, as couldn't get USB to work

In real world I would want to boot from USB - so hopefully can find a way to fix last error,  as I would expect a vanilla build of Windows 10 PE using Microsoft's step by step for creation should boot fine from USB

I have tried with the USB booting to do legacy as well as UEFI and same problem - same error code, just slightly different file name / path in error message

I recall not liking how the ADK could write directly to USB, so I have never done this. What I do instead is just format the USB as FAT32 and then copy all the files from c:\winpe_dir\media to the root of the USB.

Also, make sure you use the boot menu on your hardware to verify which boot method you are choosing because you can't let the system pick on its own.

Hi Tripredacus

Okay just gave that a try

Formatted as FAT32:-

Trying to boot from legacy boot menu entry gives me blue screen error 0xc0000098 relating to \windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys

Trying from UEFI boot menu entry 0xc0000428 - digital signature for this device couldn't be verified

Formatted as NTFS:-

legacy boot menu entry - blue screen error 0xc0000221 relating to \windows\system32\drivers\refs.sys

UEFI - no boot menu entry appears so can't test

Edited by wingers
typo

UPDATE:

Just bought a brand new corsair USB memory stick and it now boots perfectly fine for both UEFI and Legacy - so looks like all this was just caused by the drive

Thank you for all your suggestions

Still seems very slow though - as get that long delay between blue logo appearing and then the spinning circles appearing - once spinning circles appear it is very quick to boot.  If I create a Win10PE_SE using Winbuilder I don't get this delay, so must be something I can perhaps change to speed it up?

Okay I have worked out why my ADK PE seems slower to boot than say Win10PE_SE created with winbuilder

It is because when mine boots i just get blue windows logo at start and then eventually the spinning circles

But with Win10PE_SE you get a screen showing Loading files and a white progress bar at bottom of screen rather than the blue logo

So anyone know how to change this, as at least seeing a progress bar lets you know it is doing something rather than just hung

solved

Change bootmenupolicy for bcd to legacy and then you get loading progress bar rather than just blue logo - at least you then know it is actually doing something

Apologies for answering own question!

bcdedit /store D:\PE_TEMP\media\Boot\bcd /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy