Thank You Big Muscle For New Aero Glass Build 1.5.7

The new experimental version is better.

Is anyone else noticing a brief popping up of small black lines/rectangles when hovering over windows' min/max/close buttons? Best to try it through Remote Desktop. This is the kind of thing I'm getting around the taskbar area on Windows 8.1 sometimes. I can reproduce the problem with min/max/close buttons when connecting to Windows 8.1 machine with Remote Desktop which has Aero Glass. Only happens with blurring enabled.

cIExJXB.png

I believe this is the same problem that people have been reporting all this time since the Windows 8 era.

Also:
Read only 2nd paragraph:

And:

• 2 weeks later...

The new experimental version has been released today. It has more fixes for the visual artifacts. Can't reproduce that problem on the above screenshot anymore. Nice work! We should've given more attention to the Remote Desktop in the past.

Seems to work OK here - but then the last one did too.

In order to try the new version I had to deconfigure my alternate theme (it was Aero 7) in order to reboot without Aero Glass, so that DWMGlass.dll could then be replaced.  Renaming is no longer possible.  Thanks, Microsoft - for making Windows 10 a little bit harder to tweak.

Out of curiosity, Big Muscle, what would it take to port your most recent work back into a Windows 8.1-compatible version?  Is that infeasible at this point?  I had a small glitch earlier today that sounds a lot like what you just fixed for Windows 10.

-Noel

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

The new experimental version has been released today. It has more fixes for the visual artifacts. Can't reproduce that problem on the above screenshot anymore. Nice work! We should've given more attention to the Remote Desktop in the past.

YES!  Thank you @bigmuscle for this latest update, I just finished testing it and it fixes ALL of the visual glitches AND residual artifacts issues I was experiencing as well!

5a728bafe5e4e_Aero_Glass_for_Win8_-_Google_Chrome_2018-01-31_19_34_03.png.0a6114cd1806ad222852a146884a23ca.png

Looks like we are good to go! :)
Please DO post an official version as soon as you can! (watermark and debug windows get really annoying after a while).
-JT 

10 hours ago, NoelC said:

In order to try the new version I had to deconfigure my alternate theme (it was Aero 7) in order to reboot without Aero Glass, so that DWMGlass.dll could then be replaced.  Renaming is no longer possible.  Thanks, Microsoft - for making Windows 10 a little bit harder to tweak.

I don't think anything changed here. aerohost.exe opens a file handle to DWMGlass.dll, preventing it from being renamed. You can still rename DLLs of other applications without having to do anything special.

10 hours ago, NoelC said:

Out of curiosity, Big Muscle, what would it take to port your most recent work back into a Windows 8.1-compatible version?

I have the same question. Windows 10 is still the buggy problem-ridden mess of an OS.

Edited by UCyborg

You're probably right.

My first attempt was to just disable AeroHost in the Task Scheduler, then reboot, but I forgot I have an unsigned theme, so that resulted in my not being able to log back in.  I had forgotten to disable the theme.

Second attempt, after restoring my VM to the prior snapshot, was just to rename the DWMGlass.dll, which I've done before.  Problem this time was that I didn't actually stop AeroHost.  My mistake.

And now I've misplaced the command line that can re-enable an unsigned theme.  Sigh.

Between the occasional failures to log in and trouble when trying to update Aero Glass components, I'm starting to feel a bit of "custom theme fatigue".  In short, it's starting to feel like more trouble than it's worth just to have buttons with visual styles.  I know I would be bothered more if it were my daily use machine, but in a VM just for testing I think maybe I'll just leave the rectangular, lifeless Windows theme in place.  I'll keep the Aero Glass tools in place for the borders, though.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On 3. 2. 2018 at 4:29 PM, NoelC said:

Between the occasional failures to log in and trouble when trying to update Aero Glass components, I'm starting to feel a bit of "custom theme fatigue".  In short, it's starting to feel like more trouble than it's worth just to have buttons with visual styles.

Technically, they're still visual styles, just flat in appearance. Artificial restrictions that Windows has in the theming department are indeed silly.

Oops, looks like with the latest debug build the caption buttons on Apps are gone.

They were working OK with the release.  I presume this must not be common as others would surely have noticed.  I only rarely run any Apps here on this test system, and I noticed it with the Settings App...

NoSettingsAppCaptionButtons.png

It's not a big deal, I can close it from the Taskbar.

-Noel

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

Oops, looks like with the latest debug build the caption buttons on Apps are gone.

I noticed that they show up only on the first launch, at least if you login and open Settings straight away. They disappear on subsequent launches.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:39 PM, JTB3 said:

YES!  Thank you @bigmuscle for this latest update, I just finished testing it and it fixes ALL of the visual glitches AND residual artifacts issues I was experiencing as well!

Please DO post an official version as soon as you can! (watermark and debug windows get really annoying after a while).
-JT 

Hope you are close to releasing the updated official build @bigmuscle.  Really looking forward! -JT

hi i got a question about aero glass , i found about this program not long ago so far really like the idea, but i'm wondering does it add glassy look only to the top bar and border or can we make explorer windows or else completly glassy ? because i saw a video on youtube about aero glass and so tried the free version but i only got like the 1st picture with just the border and top bar glass but the one completly glassy i can't find how to get it ? is it only for the paid version or i'm missing something ? i'm on win 10 1709 v16299 , ( the screenshot are from the video i saw on youtube )

aero1_1.png.ff30e8124f8c7a4fbdbf0a21b6cbd5b7.png

aero2_1.png

Edited by Phenix

ok thanks bigmuscle, so i think i should not using this software .... if i refer to the guide to quote it " Can anyone install this software on his computer? This library is intended for advanced users only. If you are a beginner and you do not have deeper knowledge of Windows (such as registry editing etc.) you should not install this software... " thx anyways for helping a beginner who tried to get a cool looking windows.

Sry for asking.

Edited by Phenix