The Best Graphics Card for a Windows 98 SE Build (discussion)

The_9X_User

On my last post, I stated that I have a PC that has an Matrox Millennium PCI Graphics Card and the PC can run Windows 98.  Now this graphics card has been out for a while and since it's been released since I don't know, I am thinking of upgrading the graphics card to something more modern.   Any suggestions on the best card for Windows 98?

RAM of the PC: 128 MB (If I remember and heard correctly when speaking with the last person who owned it)

Graphics Card: Matrox Millennium unknown model number.

If knowing correctly it has two ISA slots (one of which has a aftermarket sound card I think) and two PCI cards (one of which has the Matrox Millennium).

Without knowing what motherboard you have than I don't want to waste your time.  because without that we have no idea what your upgrade paths could be. best is subjective.  Matrox is decent but you dont give us a model number and just tell us that its matrox.  Thats not helpful in determining what is better or worst than what you have and why.

Would like to help you but I can't.  Anyone else giving you an opnion based off what little info here would be just that.

Edited by Destro

It all comes down to what applications/games you are running or what features you require. That is the only way to know, otherwise it could just be anything. Of course, posting "unknown model number" makes it impossible for anyone to be able to say "this other card is better"

One or another nVidia 7800GS 256MB is the best compromise IMO. Most powerful you can run is a 7950GT but I was having fan settings issues with both versions of it (256MB and 512MB) that annoyed me so much that in the end I downgraded to the 7800GS.

Does OP even has an AGP slot? We don't know.

Best reasonable PCI card would be the GeForce FX 5200. I would not recommend the GeForce 6200 PCI.

If OP has an AGP slot, I would recommend GeForce 4 Ti. Any model of that line.

On 1/2/2018 at 1:01 PM, loblo said:

One or another nVidia 7800GS 256MB is the best compromise IMO. Most powerful you can run is a 7950GT but I was having fan settings issues with both versions of it (256MB and 512MB) that annoyed me so much that in the end I downgraded to the 7800GS.

Nvidia  7800GTX v2 256MB (Dell X8764) actually out-performs the 7900GS.  It's got a massive heat sink and runs quieter than the 7900gs.   It's fairly cheap now; just unscrew the extra mounting hardware that's attached to it.  SLI capable

Yeah, was talking about AGP cards MrMateczko, which, as you mentioned in an earlier post, is likely off topic as the OP appears to have PCI slots only. Typical internet age ADHD makes me sometimes answer topics without actually properly reading the OP...

Unless I am wrong there is no PCI-e mobos officially supporting 9x OSes???

Edited by loblo

• 10 months later...