Installing either 98SE or ME on Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA

ScarletWavez

Just for an experiment I want to try installing Win98SE or ME, on a Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA - which runs on a Intel ICH7M/MDH and 945 chipset I believe. I'm not sure this is possible, has anyone tried installing a 9x OS on a netbook?

Edited by ScarletWavez

24 minutes ago, ScarletWavez said:

Just for an experiment I want to try installing Win98SE or ME, on a Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA - which runs on a Intel ICH7M/MDH and 945 chipset I believe. I'm not sure this is possible, has anyone tried installing a 9x OS on a netbook?

Lot of people though cannot say on so-recent models, examples:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/125486-which-netbook-can-work-with-windows-98-properly/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/122401-asus-eee-pc-and-windows-9x/

The issues - generally speaking - are with drivers, the ICH7 and 945 chipset are still within the known to be working hardware, but with no "manufacturer drivers" see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107001-compatible-hardware-with-windows-9x/

the display, and a few other peripherals including USB ports may be tough to be made working fully, as well as the SATA, you will need most probably Uniata and a number of the patches by RLoew.

jaclaz

I guess my question here is, are you planning on using the netbook for actual internet browsing or other offline activities? As much as I love 9x, especially Windows 98, using it on the internet is still quite difficult even though we have a few members working hard at trying to get a more functional browser for the operating system. If you're going to do any sort of internet activities on there, I'd recommend Windows 2000 instead for the time being because it would be fully compatible (as long as compatible drivers can be found, which shouldn't be a problem due to it originally using Windows XP) but combined with unofficial updates, you could still use the 52.4.0 esr version of Firefox.

Now, if it's just a play computer that you just want to mess around with and don't care what it does, Windows 98 would be perfectly fine to install. How much RAM does it currently have? It seems it comes stock with 1GB which won't trigger the stop screen during bootup (to my knowledge and experience) but if you have more than that, you'll either have to remove some RAM or use RLoew's RAM patch. Windows Me, I believe, can use a little more without modifications but I cannot verify that from my brain alone. Another difference between 98 and Me is that Me handles newer hard disk configurations better. For example, I have a Gigabyte motherboard that I installed Windows 98 on and even though it says it's IDE, has an IDE port, and even IDE mode, I still needed RLoew's SATA patch in order to get it running correctly. Otherwise unless I operated the OS in disk compatibility mode (by disabling all 32-bit drivers via system properties), it would lock up on me during boot. This was the case for an ASRock motherboard which I don't believe I ever got working since it predated me buying the patch and using it, but Windows Me worked just fine without any special modifications. So honestly, depending on your experience, I would go with Me first and see how that works out and then if you're feeling bold or have the hang of it, try 98!

Hey,

got a few questions:

1. where do I find the UniATA for 9x? I can only see NT support officially

2. are there any modded drivers for the display adaptor to work on 9x (specifically ME)? I did a search on it, didn't find anything useful. I'd like at least some sort of support for DirectX in order to use some emulators and such

3. how do I slipstream the drivers into the ME iso? 

4. Lastly, how to make the ISO bootable?

Edited by ScarletWavez

1 hour ago, ScarletWavez said:

Hey,

got a few questions:

1. where do I find the UniATA for 9x? I can only see NT support officially

2. are there any modded drivers for the display adaptor to work on 9x (specifically ME)? I did a search on it, didn't find anything useful. I'd like at least some sort of support for DirectX in order to use some emulators and such

3. how do I slipstream the drivers into the ME iso? 

4. Lastly, how to make the ISO bootable?

1. http://reboot.pro/topic/2384-alter-group-universal-ata-driver-for-windows-nt351nt42000xp/

driver_9x_39g1.rar

2. You are looking for either VBEMP or Scitech Display Doctor, see:

http://www.bearwindows.boot-land.net/vbe9x.htm

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59559

3.  you simply do NOT. [1]

4.  As always. [2]

jaclaz

[1] The whole point is that setting up a 9x/Me system on modern hardware is EXTREMELY difficult, and prone to errors, if there is not a specific packet of files tested to be integrated/automagically installed on the specific hardware it won't simply work, you need ot install a "base" system and then later test all the changes/various drivers, etc.. For this ME is less suitable than 98 as you will need to have a DOS of sorts for many of these tests (of course a ME with the DOS enabler patch will do)

[2] Which usually means that you don't. :w00t: Since the dawn of time it has been custom for people that are in the knows (to make installs) to copy the files to hard disk and then install to hard disk, from hard disk (as this is usually faster, allows to easily make changes, and have the source available in case some component is needed later).
So all you need is normally a boot floppy which can be made (as floppy emulation El-Torito) by *any* .iso making software or even manually created using a trick or two, references:

http://reboot.pro/topic/9916-grub4dos-isohybrided/?p=86679

BUT nowadays you would more likely have NOT a .iso/CD/DVD, but rather a "plain" USB stick booting to a DOS of some kind.

Company: Atheros Communications,

Model: AR5001X, AR5002X, AR5002G, AR5004X, AR5004G, AR5004A , AR5005G, AR5005GS, AR5006X, AR5006XS, AR5006EXS, AR5006EX, AR5006EGS, AR5006EG, AR5006GS, AR5006GS, AR5006G, AR5006 AR5007, AR5007G, AR5007EG, AR5008, AR5008X, AR928X

Operating System: Windows 98SE (Note: might work with other versions of this os.)

Download

File: V7.6.0.200.rar

- http://www.network-drivers.com/drivers/1241/1241700.htm

Or use the built-in NIC or USB to connect an external wifi modem/router

Edited by jumper

@jumper I tried that download and it says something about unable to find drivers, then manual INF choice says 'Cannot find for hardware info' or something... :/

What is the vender/etc info for the AR5B95/AR9285? Maybe modding the driver INF would work but I have no clue on doing this...

vendor info for AR5B95: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_E016105B

also will need the AR9285's vendor ID

Edited by ScarletWavez

There are at least two reasons why you can't install the driver. First reason is the inf file is too big. It's about 150 KB. It must be shortened to less than 64 KB! On my systems the files should not bigger than 53 KB. Not needed sections can be deleted.

The second is inside the inf there is a reference to a "athwx.sys" file (Installs athwx.sys (NDIS 5 driver) on 9x platforms). This file has apparently been removed. There is only the athw.sys file for NT systems.

The most suitable inf file entry is: ATHER.DeviceDesc.3091 = "Atheros AR928x Wireless Network Adapter"