List of updates to avoid the never-ending search on Microsoft Update

Tomcat76

The purpose of this thread is to compile a list of updates that need to be downloaded and installed manually in order to prevent Microsoft Update from being unable to finish its search for updates.  I don't have all features installed, so it's possible this list is still incomplete.

(last revised: January 19, 2018)

IE8 on POSReady 2009
* KB4052978 Cumulative security update (2017-12)

IE8 on XP SP3
* KB4018271 Cumulative security update (2017-06)

Office Compatibility Pack SP3
* KB3213641 Security update for OGL (2017-09)
* KB3213644 Security update for Powerpoint (2017-09)
* KB4011201 Security update for MSO (2018-01)
* KB4011605 Security update for Excel (2018-01)
* KB4011607 Security update for Word (2018-01)

Let me know how it works out and if the list needs to be revised.

Edited by Tomcat76

Based on my experience, only three of the listed updates really cause long search:

• KB4052978 Cumulative security update (2017-12)
  • KB4011265 Security update for Word (2017-11) - it is replaced by KB4011607 for now
  • KB4011605 Security update for Excel (2018-01)

KB3213641, KB3213644, and KB4011201 are "harmless" and may be found normally. I never test the KB4018271 for pure XP SP3 (without POSReady hack), but i think it should be "harmless" too.

Good to know.  On one of the POSReady 2009 machines here, MU wouldn't proceed until I installed the hotfixes for OGL and MSO.  This was a couple of days ago.  The update for Powerpoint is only on the list because it supersedes an older update that was required on both POSReady machines here; I assumed the new update would consequently be required too (at least, looking from the perspective of a bare Compatibility Pack + SP3 install).   I'll do some more extensive testing over the next couple of days.

Thanks for the info on KB4011607.  I updated the list.

I don't have a "standard" XP SP3 machine anymore, so I'm only adding the latest cumulative IE8 update for safety's sake.  I don't know if it's really required either.

Edited by Tomcat76

19 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Well, for those running XP SP2 with IE6, there are no more updates at all, so that using MU is moot.

Sure and it is also pretty much irrelevant to those running Windows 3.1 (for Workgroups) but that was not the question.

I do have a couple machines that do have SP3, and have never seen any Office version and surely not Internet Explorer 8.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

Can you explain the actual "requirement"?

If I don't have IE8 nor any Office installed how would any of those matter? :dubbio:

jaclaz

Well, sorry to interrupt your grumpiness, but as someone mentioned in another topic:

On 25.11.2017 at 12:39 PM, jaclaz said:

Well, we are not in an online computer assistance hotline following a script, and you are not a common user that hasn't ever seen an electrical appliance before, so the canonical questions:

1) Do you have electricity?

2) is the power cable (or power adapter) actualy plugged into mains?

3) Have you tried flipping the on/off switch on the device?

4) Does any light blink or any sound (or movement) come from the device when it is powered up?

Were given as already asked for and replied positively. ;)

The next questions remain:

5) Is it connected to the "right" USB port?

6) Do you have any other (USB) printer (with "manufacturer" drivers) to test that the USB printing support in the install is working?

So, for this case we should start with

1)Is the software you are trying to update installed on your machine?

:)

So yes, patches listed were noticed by users to slow down MU/WU if the software they are for is present, and installing them helps to solve the issue. If this what you needed, case solved. Actually you could have solved the mystery yourself by running MU and checking out if it runs for minutes or for hours.

In any other case when your MU is a slow hog and none of these patches apply to your system configuration, we can start investigating the issue and probably expanding the list.

@jaclaz

The last update for IE6 was KB3124275 from 01/11/2016, the problem with svchost.exe appeared from November 2016 on and means that from this point on when using WU in advance manually the most recent cumulative update for IE8 should be installed. In addition, if you are using MU, you must have the relevant Office Compatibilty Pack / Office 2007 updates from November 2016 to date so that svchost.exe's high processor load does not occur. 

Note:
If you also use POSReady updates for Windows XP sp3, it is also advisable to install the cumulative update for IE8, because the components for Microsoft Office 2000 (hlink.dll), Microsoft Internet Messaging API (inetcomm.dll), JScript (jscript .dll) and VBScript (vbscript.dll) are no longer available in separate updates.

@Mcinwwl

You seemingly did not get the point I was trying to make, but it doesn't really matter, those that wanted to understand it surely got it.

@Heinoganda

Thanks, but sorry :( , I still don't understand, if I don't have the IE8 installed, what would an update to IE8 do?

Or since the update is cumulative (and updates other files) does it mean that it will install nonetheless? :unsure:

jaclaz

37 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Thanks, but sorry :( , I still don't understand, if I don't have the IE8 installed, what would an update to IE8 do?

Or since the update is cumulative (and updates other files) does it mean that it will install nonetheless? :unsure:

Of course, you would need to install IE8 before the IE8 cumulative update can be installed, which includes updates that were previously offered separately (hlink.dll, inetcomm.dll, jscript .dll and vbscript.dll).

1 hour ago, heinoganda said:

Of course, you would need to install IE8 before the IE8 cumulative update can be installed, which includes updates that were previously offered separately (hlink.dll, inetcomm.dll, jscript .dll and vbscript.dll).

Hmmm. :dubbio:

Ok, thanks, though still I am not fully convinced.

I'll have to check next time I need to connect these machines to the Internet whether they have issues with Windows Update or not.

jaclaz

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I'll have to check next time I need to connect these machines to the Internet whether they have issues with Windows Update or not.

They do not. The issue in question only happens in Microsoft Update, which is a totally different beast than Windows Update. :P

18 hours ago, dencorso said:

They do not. The issue in question only happens in Microsoft Update, which is a totally different beast than Windows Update. :P

Microsoft Update

4d7a69dfe5c37887cfa457b81ce3fd27--fantas

Windows Update

McdCS6c.jpg

Warning both the MS BEASTS are Dragons, so beware

Dragons belong to same Kindom of beasts, but both are different in nature and power