Java 1.6.22 fails on install

Przechu

I have got a Windows 98se pc with KernelEx installed. I tried to install Java 1.6.22 since the wiki said that is the lastest version that runs without any major problems. Actually the installer fails on copying new files with message: Error 1330.A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_22\Data1.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt. Task scheduler also changes icon. I have tried silent mode and changing compatibility. They failed. What can I do to install it without this error?

Edited by Przechu

You should go back to the page and carefully read.  The last version is  1.6.0.31. 1.6.22 is too high of a version.  You should also change your clock.  Or roll your clock back to a reasonable date taht would be aplicable to the signature date.   You need to select 2000 sp4 as the compatibility mode on the EXE file then you have to run it silently.(its both)   Unless you already tried that.  make sure you are using a full install package not the web version.

Ok the instructions I gave just work and it has worked for 100s of people without failure so if it doesn't work for you than there is some other problem unrelated to this.

http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Sun_Java_Runtime_Environment

Silent install: Start-->RUN

C:\jre-6uxx-windows-i586.exe /s

Edited by Destro

Destro, The last Java 6 version is update 45: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html. I have it installed on my machine, it runs fine. Update 22 is not too high of a version, it's older than update 31.

And if you don't mind me asking, how do you know the number of people who installed it successfully on 9x?

Btw, in case anyone is interested I have JRE & JDK 7 Update 76, JRE & JDK 8 Update 92 and JDK 9 Beta 95 all installed on my machine. 7 appears fully functional, 8 and 9 have some stuff that doesn't work but still usefull as I can run some programs requiring either of those versions specifically.

100s sounded very reasonable to me, its probably an underestimate to be honest.  I don't really know for certain but I know 100 sounds really low to me.  But thats the point.

PS I know you can instal higher version with kex betas but the point is the wiki says that its 1.6.0.31 not the other one that OP said it said.  But I'm not gonna suggest to install higher version with  kex to somone who can't get what pretty much just works tested by everyone who has tried.

Edited by Destro

Java installer errors occur very often. Usually they have nothing to do with 98/ME or KernelEx! A search for error 1330 in the web could help. There are some answers.

I'm not sure anymore, if in this case an older Version of the Windows Installer causes errors. Latest version for 98/ME is 2.0.2600.2.

I found Javafixer.org in the WayBackMachine: Java Fixer

Edited by schwups

• 4 months later...

Java SE Runtime Environment 6u22 is the specific version you need to download, i believe i downloaded mine off java directly, you just need to make an account there if you haven't done so, the filename should be " jre-6u22-windows-i586.exe", i was able to install it without any errors on my system recently through testing, of course, i had installed kernelex 4.5.2 beforehand before attempting install and no other versions of java were manually installed from before. 

newer java versions should also "work" but i see no practical reason to go past java 6 update 22 as it is the last version to work properly with classic plug in with firefox 3.5.19 which is what i use, however you have to take special steps to get it to work in classic plug in mode, you have to rename the "new_plug in" folder of java, and you have to go to the java control panel application and uncheck the next generation plug in.

i am not sure why you got that invalid signature related error, also, it's possible you may have not installed some necessary components that would affect installing newer versions of java, etc. i specifically also use unofficial service pack 3.62 as the most recent ( installed before kernelex ) and there are 2 kernelex updates i have, there is the standard 4.5.2 and then there is another update for it i always install.

Edited by cov3rt