Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Universal Silent Switch Finder 0.1

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Nologic

Nologic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
muiz -

Not to get down on you...just you phrased your statement wrongly...in which you kind of knock the project...and also expect things beyond what the project was meant for.

Yes it would be nice by all means if it reported MSI files, and maybe I or some one else will alter the source code to reflect that...since it is public.

Any ways refer to the Unattended Guide for the bulk of information about switchs.

If you need at the drop of a hat information dealing with MSI's just open up the console '{WIN+R}cmd{ENTER}msiexec /?{ENTER}' and full details will be listed. :)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult

A Part of a Dying Breed...

• PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03

May I ask why you would need to know what the switch's are when you already know its a MSI file?

indeed. You already know that it's an MSI, why would you need a switch finder to tell you?

This program's purpose is for foreign installers or non-normal ones. MSI is definately not in that category.

I agree MSI are too easy to spot and is not a foreign installer. Actually its native. Anyway I think it is not necessary to modify the app NoLogic but do what u will. :D

CyberSlug

CyberSlug
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 06-February 05
Greetings from a long-time AutoIt user but new MSFN Forum member:

I've attached a script with the following modifications:
  • Hides the PEiD window a bit better by setting the StayOnTop registry value. (I thought about enhancing the SplashText window, but ended up just commenting that out.)
  • Displays information for MSI files If StringRight($FileName, 4) = ".msi" Then Run("msiexec /?", "")
  • Optionally takes a command line paramter. If you use AutoIt to compile the script into an EXE, you can can simply drag-and-drop the installer on top of the EXE to get the information.

Attached Files

Nologic

Nologic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
CyberSlug -

Thanks for the update to the code & good to see you visiting. :)

totoymola

totoymola

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Joined 24-September 04
Hello CyberSlug.

Nice update. Does this work with the latest version of PEiD? Honestly, I don't use this because PEiD is more than enough for me. But it's still good to have this for educational purposes. :)
Picasa2 MSI ----------- ResEdit MSI
DOWNLOAD ------------ DOWNLOAD

sanjose

sanjose
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 07-February 05
thanks a ton for all the contribution, I have used it and its fabulous

Swimming_Bird

Swimming_Bird

I want the NHL Back

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 12-October 04
helper.bin download attachment dead.
AIM: laxcmx
MSN: roi_roy@hotmail.com
IRC: Swimming_Bird @ irc.rizon.net

Nologic

Nologic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
Very minor update changed USSF to use latest build of PEiD v0.93. (simple find and replace in script)

[PEiD]

For those that do not know the Helper.bin is just the exe of PEiD renamed.

totoymola

totoymola

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Joined 24-September 04
I tried using the latest version of PEiD for this, but it didn't work. :D

MHz

MHz

Just simple

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • Joined 02-August 04

I tried using the latest version of PEiD for this, but it didn't work.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Confirmed as working here. Got PEid from working link here.
Rename PEid to helper.bin, and have it in the same directory as the script.

:)

totoymola

totoymola

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Joined 24-September 04
I'm sorry guys. I wasn't clear on my earlier post. I was talking about the very first version of USSF (by Zoster). :) That doesn't work for the latest version of PEiD. I haven't seen Nologic's update when I posted that.

Martin Zugec

Martin Zugec

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Joined 24-January 04
Hmmm, now it looks I got a problem - downloaded PEid, extracted peid.exe, renamed to Helper.bin, compiled script2exe, copied to same location.

But when I inserted name of the file, I still received message Sorry, unknown installer

:(
Like my opinions? Read Deployment/scripting blog
Like my scripts? They are under DrinkWare license :)

ZoSTeR

ZoSTeR

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 04-November 03
Updated the first post with a quick fix

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I made an installer for this wonderfull tool.

Just use the /VERYSILENT switch for silent install.

PEID 9.3 is included.

Link deleted see post below.

batman75

batman75

Alive and kicking

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 12-December 04
Thank you

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
You are very welcome.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Great NEWS I made the **** thing recognize .msi files also and now and it works great!!!!!!!!!!!! (Fixed a couple of spelling errors also.)

USSF.exe

I hope it was no too presumptious but after all of the testing and code re-writes that ZoSTeR and CyberSlug have done and now that it has it's own installer I dubbed it version 1.

bober

bober

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 17-March 05
thanks. works good for me. a real time saver. :)

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Here is a sfx archive of just the files for those who do not want an installer.

Universal Silent Switch Finder

coucou

coucou

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Hi all,

I'm using USSF since while... very good tool :thumbup
When i have any problem with swithes, I test my known silent switches setup.exe as for "Symantec Client Security v2.0.3" and "Symantec Antivirus Corporate 9.0.3.1000" which gave me the setup.exe /S /v/qn swithes...

Since yesterday I get "Sorry, unknown installer." message error with the most setup tested, even with the Symantec's setup.exe above. :(
I tried with the new USSF version and the kelsenellenelvian's version... same error message :wacko:

Anybody could help???

Regards
coucou

LiquidSage

LiquidSage

Wayward Prophet

• PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 29-August 03
was this before or after install symantec AV and CS? Features like script blocking and having AV scan levels too high may be blocking you from running ussf. (Solution : ditch Symantec and get similar products that don't cause more problems than they are supposed to fix)

coucou

coucou

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Hi LiquidSage,

was this before or after install symantec AV and CS?

May be my post wasn't clear enough or you misunderstood me. I got symantec AV + NIS allways installed (before and after).

I try expressing myself again, i have symantec AV + NIS installed since few years.
I start using USSF 6 months ago... working fine. At that time i tested USSF on Symantec's setup.exe files, it gave me a result of /S /v/qn switches.

Since 3/4 days i used USSF to find sitches, it gave me "Sorry, unknown installer." error message very often.
As i know that USSF had success to find swiches on Symantec's setup.exe, i tested it again on those Symantec's files. This time i got "Sorry, unknown installer" error message. Moreover I get this error message even my NIS disabled.

Regards
coucou

NemoNada

NemoNada

• 34 posts
  • Joined 09-November 03

Features like script blocking and having AV scan levels too high may be blocking you from running ussf. (Solution : ditch Symantec and get similar products that don't cause more problems than they are supposed to fix)

Interesting...

I'm using all those Symantec products and never had a problem. Did you change the default settings of either program? Also I disagree with the "solution" proposed above. Symantec products are some of the best out there--as big as they are and as successful as they've been they couldn't be "causing more problems than they are supposed to fix"--but like any program, if you don't install it properly it'll have problems.

If you didn't really mess around w/the settings in the Symantec programs, I would think that the problem lies elsewhere than Symantec.

Since yesterday I get "Sorry, unknown installer." message error with the most setup tested, even with the Symantec's setup.exe above. 
I tried with the new USSF version and the kelsenellenelvian's version... same error message 

The new version of USSF is really great! It's analyzing at least 60% more setups than before. I've had no problem w/it at all on any system--running either Symantec or NAI products.
It's kinda' hard to T/S without knowing all the details and the sequence. Think about/check out the following questions. Maybe one of your answers will give you the clue you need to figure out what's going on.
  • What other changes have you made to your system?
  • If you did, can you temporarily remove or disable them and see if it's back to normal?
  • Is your disk NTFS and have you changed any permissions?
  • Are you an "Administrator" on your system?
  • Did you completely delete the old program before you installed the new one?
  • Did you use the installer or just unpack the files?
  • In your USSF folder (or whatever you called it) are there only 2 items, "PEiD.exe" dated 30 Jan 05 and "Universal Silent Switch Finder.exe" dated 22 Mar 05 & v3.1.0.15?
Hope that helps you...
Take care!

Jim

"Guam: Where America's Day Begins!"

YasNaz

YasNaz
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 12-September 04
Thank man, this program is awesome it is help a lot
^_^

coucou

coucou

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

The new version of USSF is really great! It's analyzing at least 60% more setups than before. I've had no problem w/it at all on any system--running either Symantec or NAI products.
It's kinda' hard to T/S without knowing all the details and the sequence. Think about/check out the following questions. Maybe one of your answers will give you the clue you need to figure out what's going on.

• What other changes have you made to your system? NONE
  • If you did, can you temporarily remove or disable them and see if it's back to normal? Not undderstand what do u mean
  • Is your disk NTFS and have you changed any permissions? No permission changed
  • Are you an "Administrator" on your system? YES
  • Did you completely delete the old program before you installed the new one? YES
  • Did you use the installer or just unpack the files? Installer
  • In your USSF folder (or whatever you called it) are there only 2 items, "PEiD.exe" dated 30 Jan 05 and "Universal Silent Switch Finder.exe" dated 22 Mar 05 & v3.1.0.15? YES
Hope that helps you...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers
coucou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users