Using Windows 2000 workstation as a server

I have heard that you can use Windows 2000 professional workstation in a workgroup much like a server. My aim is to centralize the location of shared files in a workgroup of 5 computers in one location, one PC that everyone can have access to with a security/permissions-type structure. In this situation, this would be more cost effective than purchasing the server application.

How do I set up this type of workstation workgroup network with one PC serving as the main file repository and provide security access just using Windows 2000 Professional workstation?

You have to create the directories you want to share first, and then give the users permissions to those directories that you want them to access... You can have the users manually go to the directories, or you can map those directories tho thier computer, for easy access.

I have heard that you can use Windows 2000 professional workstation in a workgroup much like a server.  My aim is to centralize the location of shared files in a workgroup of 5 computers in one location, one PC that everyone can have access to with a security/permissions-type structure.  In this situation, this would be more cost effective than purchasing the server application.

How do I set up this type of workstation workgroup network with one PC serving as the main file repository and provide security access just using Windows 2000 Professional workstation?

Well, you can use Win2k Pro as a "server", but here is what you will miss out on:

1. Win2k Pro is limited to 10 concurrent connections. After that, any further connections are refused.

2. No domain. You will only be able to run in workgroup mode only. And any other computers connecting to it will need to have an account and password set up on the Win2kPro "server" to establish connections, unless all your shares are wide open (what did you say your ip address was again?!?!?!?!)

3. Granted it would be cost effictive to run it in this configuration, but Micro$oft offers whats called their "Action Pack" in a standard and plus configuration. Standard is $299 USD, Plus is $399USD. with this, you get the following:

1 license for and 10 CAL's:

Win2k3 Server Enterprise

Win2k3 Server Web

Exchange 2k3 Enterprise

Sql 2k Developer

Win2k3 Small Business

ISA 2k Enterprise

Mobile Information Server 2k2 Enterprise

Sharepoint Portal Server 2k1

Win2k3 Terminal Services

10 licenses for:

WinXP Pro

Office Pro 2k3

Frontpage 2k3

Outlook 2k3

Mappoint 2k3

Visio Pro 2k3

Project 2k3

Check out this link for more info:

http://members.microsoft.com/partner/sales...tionpackus.aspx

All said, I myself (when I get my tax return) would get one of those packs, the plus preferrably. Sure, it will set you back the price of a high end vid card, but compare the price of everything seperately. Don't need a slide rule for the end result. Plus you can get to work with an actual server deployment, working your way to that high end server admin job we all covet. Hope this helps, and good luck with whatever you decide.

I have heard that you can use Windows 2000 professional workstation in a workgroup much like a server.  My aim is to centralize the location of shared files in a workgroup of 5 computers in one location, one PC that everyone can have access to with a security/permissions-type structure.  In this situation, this would be more cost effective than purchasing the server application.

Here is checklist you can work with:

1. All of the computers should be using the same Workgroup name

2. All of the computers need to have the same user accounts and passwords

3. All of the computers should be able to ping each other

They all have to be on the same proverbial page, before you even start sharing files/folders out of the acting-server. :)

i thoght workgroups were limited to 10 members :S

You can have any number of members in a workgroup (not sure exactly how many per named workgroup). problem is that each resource (i.e., computer, printer) is limited to 10 concurrent connections at a time.