Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

how to make my own shell32.dll....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

eyeball

eyeball

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Joined 28-October 05
been reading this thread and i have a question...
when using the res hacker replace icon method do u have to do any resizing of icons at all? or just replace them?
also does anyone know where the icons are stored for winamp please? i want to replace these for some of foood's icons
thanks

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

slimzky

slimzky

Self-Taught Geek

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined 09-February 05

been reading this thread and i have a question...
when using the res hacker replace icon method do u have to do any resizing of icons at all? or just replace them?
also does anyone know where the icons are stored for winamp please? i want to replace these for some of foood's icons
thanks

i think u dont have to resize it.. im using restorator2005 to edit my shell32 & i dont do any resizing there too... but i think resizing icons is like reducing the file size...
Posted Image

eyeball

eyeball

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Joined 28-October 05
cool! cos i was thinking of creating my own version of shell32.dll with foood's icons and a few others and i didnt wanna spend ages doing it for it not to work, lol

Desdicado

Desdicado

• 16 posts
  • Joined 23-March 05
Heh i changed the classic theme a bit removed all 48x48 icons and got a 333kb explorer.exe and 4.22 mb shell32 , it speeded up performance and browsing quite a bit i might add :)

here is a screenshot :) any comments?

http://www.upload2.n...

diesel_98a

diesel_98a

Spurz 4 Life....

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 26-July 03

what i did was to resize the icons to include all but the 4-bit (16 colors), all other formats are shown below

8bit - 256 colors
48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 16x16

24bit - true color
48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 16x16

XP format
128x128, 96x96, 72x72, 64x64, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 16x16

Vista
256x256 packed (so only be seen if used w/ vista)

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
Desdicado where did you find the shell32 and explorer?
Posted Image

Desdicado

Desdicado

• 16 posts
  • Joined 23-March 05
Dirtwarrior : they were in windows by default i just reshacked them :)

diesel_98a

diesel_98a

Spurz 4 Life....

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 26-July 03
look in the system32 folder.....

psyxaz

psyxaz
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 17-January 06
sory, but i`m a little confused. so if i`m changing icons with object dock, then i can`t put it in to cd?
and about shell32.dll: maybe the changed file should be in $OEM$ folder, then it would be changed correctly?
Thank You, i am new in all this

gunsmokingman

gunsmokingman

MSFN Master

• Super Moderator
  • 2,419 posts
  • Joined 02-August 03

sory, but i`m a little confused. so if i`m changing icons with object dock, then i can`t put it in to cd?
and about shell32.dll: maybe the changed file should be in $OEM$ folder, then it would be changed correctly?
Thank You, i am new in all this

Just replace the Shell32.dl_ in the XPCD\i386 Folder
Here is a cmd that will makecab the shell32.dll in %Systemdrive%\windows\system32, then checks
If this folder exist %systemdrive%\ShellFiles if it not there then it makes the folder, then moves the
makecab shell32.DL_ to %systemdrive%\ShellFiles

echo off && CLS && mode 65, 5 && color f1
:: Where It Goes To
set C2=%systemdrive%\ShellFiles
:: Where It Came From
set C1=%systemdrive%\Windows\System32
cd %C1%\
makecab %C1%\shell32.dll
echo Part 1 Done!
ping -n 2 127.0.0.1>nul
If not exist %C2% MD %C2%
move %C1%\shell32.dl_ %C2%
set /P = Process I hope Is Done? Press key To Close!

GunSmokingMan

psyxaz

psyxaz
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 17-January 06
ok thanks gunsmokingman, i got that;) but do i have to change shell32 with reshackers? because i`ve changed shortcuts with object desktop icon packager, so where does tnis sh.t puts them? thanks ;)

gunsmokingman

gunsmokingman

MSFN Master

• Super Moderator
  • 2,419 posts
  • Joined 02-August 03
Resource Hack the shell32.dll, use Repalcer to change the shell32.dll
then run the cmd.
Doing it this way means you do not have to use 3rd party apps for
your icons.

GunSmokingMan

matthewk

matthewk

• PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Joined 07-June 05

Use Icon Package Explorer. That way you can copy shell32.dll to your desktop from c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll and then edit the files that are in there. You can add or delete files however you wish by right clicking. Enjoy.

http://www.stardock....s/iconpackager/

How do I obtain a modified shell32.dll from this? IconPackager seems to leave the shell32.dll untouched. The program remembers the paths of the icon files seemingly. Can someone clarify or help me on this? I have set my icons up how I want them via IconPackager, and I want to take this modification and put it into a modified shell32.dll to put on my UA cd. Thanks in advance..

prithvi

prithvi

• 27 posts
  • Joined 21-November 06
any one help me ......

i have done al those steps
get all ur icons in a folder together then open shell32.dll with resource hacker, then goto action>replace icon. then simple find the file u want to replace and then click open file with new icon and browse to the icon u wish to use. once u have replaced all the icons u want.just save the file.

now how to put that modified shell32.dll file in system it cant be done it shows message plz change the name of the file . so what i did i change the name off original shell ones and then only i was able to moved it from the windows directory .

But still i cant delete it as its shows " this file is in use" .
after restarting my pc i was able to delete it and what i found that the icons where changed :D then i tried to change more icons little greedy :whistle: . But now when i restarted all gone back to those default icons :(

Now plz say what to do i mean plz say the method step by step

A STANDARD BY ITSELF

mau-yong

mau-yong

silent, swift and deadly

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05

any one help me ......

after restarting my pc i was able to delete it and what i found that the icons where changed :D then i tried to change more icons little greedy :whistle: . But now when i restarted all gone back to those default icons :(

Now plz say what to do i mean plz say the method step by step

Windows will not use the modded shell32.dll because it will appear invalid. Instead it will automatically replace the "reshacked" dll with the correct one from its backup C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (unless you disabled Windows File Protection (WFP)). It now has a new checksum values from our edit with resource hacker, and this new checksum value will not match the value stored inside of the file.

We have to update this checksum inside of this PE (Packed Executable) file, and use ModifyPE with it's -c switch, to recalculate the checksum and store it so that the file does not appear to be corrupt to Windows.

At command prompt type:

modifype shell32.dll -c

Use modifype after editing the file, and/or right before using or compressing it (for new installation).

@prithvi:
  • ModifyPE your "reshacked" shell32.dll
  • Delete the backup shell32.dll at C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (so that windows will not recover from the "true" backup)
  • Copy your "reshacked" shell32.dll into C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (the new backup)
  • Use your own technique in replacing C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
  • Enjoy... :D

prithvi

prithvi

• 27 posts
  • Joined 21-November 06
Hey mau-yong thanks buddy it works atlast :thumbup

specially due to urs 2 method "Delete the backup shell32.dll"

so here the final steps/methods , after this sure no one will have any prob :D

@prithvi:

• ModifyPE your "reshacked" shell32.dll
  • Delete the backup shell32.dll at C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (so that windows will not recover from the "true" backup)
  • Copy your "reshacked" shell32.dll into C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (the new backup)
  • Use your own technique in replacing C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
  • Enjoy... :D

after replaceing urs shell file plz restart or better shutdown urs pc and then restart

:yes: :yes:

A STANDARD BY ITSELF

mau-yong

mau-yong

silent, swift and deadly

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
I'm happy it helped.

by_rom

by_rom
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 20-February 07
I have readed this topic several times.
But still unclear

What I have: custom full_uacd with ryan update pack integrated and custom shell32.dll cabed to shell32.dl_ and placed in my uacd. Windows file protection on my uacd disabled.
What I want: that after installation my custom uacd shell32.dll will be in windows\system32 UNCHANGED by update pack and without any additional actions form user since it is unattended installation.
If such it is possible ?

Edited by by_rom, 16 April 2007 - 06:57 AM.

karisumoto

karisumoto
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 26-November 10

Can anyone help me with my problem.
I repeat : I edited shell32.dll with my favorite icons then makecab-it and then put it on my Ua CD in i386 and after ive tested the XP, no icons changes, still the default icons.
I'm really p***ed off because of this, anyone says that they customize their shell32.dll the makecabit and then they put it on their Uacd and it works for them.
Whats wrong ?
Srry for my eng, i need hlp plss

disable your windows file protection before trying to edit system file or ur file will keep backing up to original...

mkiop

mkiop
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
The best ways to change your shell32.dll icons is to download 2 simple programs: Resource hacker ( to open and modify your system default file, and then to replace icons with your own), and the second one is replacer ( a program that replaces the shell32.dll default with your modified one, it creates automatically a backup of your original shell32.dll and repleces it with your own. you can see changes after first restart or more restarts, or if this doesn't work, go to task manager and kill process for explorer.exe and then reopen it, it should chage your icons, depending on how many icons you've changed)
Hope you get the idea... it's easy no time consuming, no disk space (both programs have less than 10 Mb)...
Happy shell hacking :D :thumbup

Edited by mkiop, 22 December 2011 - 02:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users