how to make my own shell32.dll....

diesel_98a

I copy the shell32.dl_ from my XP Pro + SP 2 + Hotfixes sorce into an folder named The Lab, and the i i expand it, then i use res hack to replace some icons then i makecab-it and then i copy-it back to the XP Ua I386 folder.

I make the iso, and no icons chages, stiil the deafult icons.

And i dont use ryanwn update, just SP2, wich i integrate using nlite, and some hotfixes.

Srry for my eng.

Now, do u guys have any ideea how to make the modiffied shell work?

Thanx

Have you guys ever considered what Windows XP would be like without a shell32.dll? I mean, for those who don't want icons? Would save some resources/memory for sure. Just curious on your thoughts. Cheers.

I do not think Windows wil not run with out the Shell32.dll

So your idea is no good.

The shell I make is approx Half A MB smaller then the

original shell32.dll from Microsoft. I could make it smaller

if I took out the extra bitmaps I add to the shell.

The modified cmd I use for replacer is set to some specific spots on my

computer.

• 1 month later...

i just used resource hacker to replace the icons i wanted & then used the makecab to resize to put on my unattended cd, just took over a month resize all the icons i wanted to resize & i have about another months to do, so i can make another one............

i did use icon package to get the icon libraries from the alienware themes, all three of them, i have some other icon libraries i would like to use as well.............

i have also tried xprize, it is a great idea, not sure if i want to go that far, cause i also have modded mspaint, cmdprompt, & mspaint w/ some sweet icons i found...........

Edited by diesel_98a

• 1 month later...

been reading this thread and i have a question...

when using the res hacker replace icon method do u have to do any resizing of icons at all? or just replace them?

also does anyone know where the icons are stored for winamp please? i want to replace these for some of foood's icons

thanks

been reading this thread and i have a question...

when using the res hacker replace icon method do u have to do any resizing of icons at all? or just replace them?

also does anyone know where the icons are stored for winamp please? i want to replace these for some of foood's icons

thanks

i think u dont have to resize it.. im using restorator2005 to edit my shell32 & i dont do any resizing there too... but i think resizing icons is like reducing the file size...

• 1 month later...

what i did was to resize the icons to include all but the 4-bit (16 colors), all other formats are shown below

8bit - 256 colors

48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 16x16

24bit - true color

48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 16x16

XP format

128x128, 96x96, 72x72, 64x64, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 16x16

Vista

256x256 packed (so only be seen if used w/ vista)