XP Home and taskkill.exe

I get an error when trying to use taskkill.exe on my Home Edition cd?! I've tried to download the pskill tool, but i can't quite figure out where to put it or how to use it?

On the other hand, here's a batch file to install mirc with all my settings...

RunOnceEx.cmd

REG ADD %KEY%\080 /VE /D "mIRC" /fREG ADD %KEY%\080 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Batch\mirc.cmd" /fREG ADD %KEY%\080 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\Registry\mirc.reg" /f

mirc.cmd

cmdow @ /HID@echo off
XCOPY "%CDROM%\Applications\mIRC" "%systemdrive%\Program Files\mIRC" /E /I /Q /H /R /Y
EXIT

Now i don't understand XCOPY that well but it all looks good to me, why doesn't it work?

Thanks

task kill i'd assume is harder to use than pskill

i'd grab pskill, put it in your system32 folder so that u can call it from anywhere

then pskill "name of the file with extension"

that's it..

for mirc it definitely should be working, one thing that might be confusing the xcopy might be %cdrom% u might need to re define the cdrom path in the batch file...

As XMac said It copy to system32 folder but it wouldn't work for me so I just changed it and use this way for Incredimail.

REG ADD %KEY%\iAdd /V 2 /D "%systemroot%\System32\pskill IncMail" /f

You have to kill whatever process it is and whatever you're trying to kill may be short name like that Incredimail.

for Zonealarm "%systemroot%\System32\pskill zclient" /f

Here's some code for Loghorn Transformation pack with taskkill.exe:

REG ADD %KEY%\170 /VE /D "Longhorn Transformation Pack" /fREG ADD %KEY%\170 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Applications\Longhorn\LTP.exe /s" /fREG ADD %KEY%\170 /V 2 /D "taskkill.exe /F /IM LTP.exe" /f

So if home doesn't have taskkill, would it be like this?

REG ADD %KEY%\170 /VE /D "Longhorn Transformation Pack" /fREG ADD %KEY%\170 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Applications\Longhorn\LTP.exe /s" /fREG ADD %KEY%\170 /V 2 /D "%systemroot%\System32\pskill LTP.exe" /f

Then i just throw pskill into $OEM$\$$\System32...?

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried using pskill to no avail I tried the suggestions about placing the file in the system32 folder and giving the path but during the install I get the error "pskill is not recognized as an internal commmand" (I'm paraphrasing). I'm trying to kill Yahoo Messenger and this is the line I'm trying to use:

%systemroot%\system32\pskill.exe YPager

The file is stored in the x:\xpcd\i386\system32 folder using the name pskill.exe.

Can anyone help on this? :)

If you put any program in System32\ you don't need to type in the full path just the name of the program you want to use (in this case, pskill) and you don't need the .exe at the end of pskill. Just type like this:

pskill appname

Windows will automatically look in your system32 folder for the pskill program.

%systemroot%\system32\pskill.exe YPager

The file is stored in the x:\xpcd\i386\system32 folder using the name pskill.exe.

Can anyone help on this?

if you have only placed the pskill.exe file into the i386\system32 directory on your XP CD then no wonder it isn't working...

you should have placed it in the $OEM$\$$\system32 directory instead,

otherwise it will not get copied to %systemroot%\system32 and you cannot run it,

unless you want to run %CDROM%\i386\system32\pskill

unless you want to run %CDROM%\i386\system32\pskill

obviously you can only use this command if %CDROM% is defined somehow (usually using a batch file and the SETENV command which will enable %CDROM% to be accessed from subsequent batch files)