Permissions on Individual folders

mutahir

Hello All,

I am running windows xp professional, my hard drive has 4 partitions, and all are ntfs, i want to know if there is a way to assign indvidual permissions to different folders in different partitions.

For eg. I would like to restrict access to Drive E (ntfs) for everyone apart from myself and iam the admin of this PC, its used by my mates as well. so i don't want them to look up in drive e, i used to do that in windows pro and server. but i can't find a way in xp.

thanks and regards

Mutahir

ok...i hv the same question but with a bit of a twist for the pros here...

this ought to get ur thinkin caps out :)

heres my problem: i hv dual boot with 2 xp pros running on my system. i do this so that i can optimize one installation for gaming, while the other one i do my normal work ie surfing, chatting, programming, etc, as well for being able to access the NTFS drives for recovering data in case one installation gets messed up.

Now there are some folders that i wish to restrict access to as this is a family computer. however i want to be able to access these folders from both installations by anyone particular user or group. ofcourse i tried by having the same user name is 'Danish' in both installations hoping that since the user name is same, windows would assign the same rights in both installations. However to my grief i discovered that the permissions are not assigned to the user name only, but to a string which includes the user name AS WELL as the computer name and a couple of random digits.

so now i need to know how to make folders secure so that they can be accessed by the same user name in each windows installation, eg Danish on WinXP1 as well as Danish on winXP2

i hope you can understand my problem

thanks

danish

i danish

i cant replicate your problem but try this:

can you access from one to the other computer ?

can you see the two computers when you open My Network Places ?

if yes, in security tab you click add, location.

now i think you can see the two locations ? if yes you change the location and give permissions to the required user.

if not... tell me . i will try to replicate your problem.

sorry my english

ok...i dont hv 2 computers... i hv only ONE computer with TWO windows sp installed on different partitions, ie C drive and D drive. i want to access the folder E:\my documents from the user 'Danish Munir on Winxp1 on C drive' as well as from 'Danish Munir on Winxp2 on D drive' but i dont want any other users on either OS to be able to access it.

thanks a lot

danish

Not gonna happen. You would need a domain controller to make it work. Your problem is this:

• You are at workgroup level security. Each XP install has it's own unique id key for accounts.
  • You want your account on XP1 to have permissions to a folder located in the XP2 installation.
  • You can set this so that you, XP1\User (which has a unique id of 12345-11111-9999 as an example) has exclusive permissions.
  • Now you boot to XP2, and you have an account named the same, User. It has the same password, but unfortunately, it has a different ID key (09876-99999-1111).
  • Now if it was possible for you to boot both xp installs at the same time, then yes you could do it as the two OS's could communicate to swap the ID keys.
  • A domain controller is simplest solution as the account would be located on a seperate pc and pushed down to each os.
  • Now if by chance the folder you want to do this to is also a system folder, you've just hosed an install because now the system doesn't have rights to the folder.

hehehe

pretty detailed explanation justice

thanks a lot...i knew i was stuck with this one..was just hopin that someone might hv tried somethin similar and maybe got it to work...

oh well...i guess its back to the lab aagin

:)

danish

Just out of curiousity, have you tried creating a local group with a common name on each machine, and adding your username to the group on each machine. Then you could give access to the files to that group, as I'm not sure if groups are handled the same way individual users are or not.

Just out of curiousity, have you tried creating a local group with a common name on each machine, and adding your username to the group on each machine.  Then you could give access to the files to that group, as I'm not sure if groups are handled the same way individual users are or not.

Yup. Even groups get unique IDs. SID's to be exact. Even certain registry keys get SIDs.

Hello All,

Thanks very much for the advise, it did work and i did find out the way at a ms knowledge base article right after posting the question but was unable to let you all know that iam doing fine with the permissions.

Thanks for all your time..

Best of Luck

Mutahir

Aren't you going to have to retake ownership of these files each time you try to access them from the opposite Windows installation? Or are you only trying to access them from one of your installations?

ok...i dont hv 2 computers... i hv only ONE computer with TWO windows sp installed on different partitions, ie C drive and D drive. i want to access the folder E:\my documents from the user 'Danish Munir on Winxp1 on C drive' as well as from 'Danish Munir on Winxp2 on D drive' but i dont want any other users on either OS to be able to access it.

thanks a lot

danish

No, but you said you had two installations :)

Otherwise I'm sure we could have told you how to answer this immediately!