Win 98SE issue, D drive not found

petebak

no....

I have a multiboot disk with 98 on it, and it works....

I'm going to try and emulate it, and then post instructions on how.....(i should point out, it's basically what Microsoft did when they burned the disk, just changing paths)

no....

I have a multiboot disk with 98 on it, and it works....

I'm going to try and emulate it, and then post instructions on how.....(i should point out, it's basically what Microsoft did when they burned the disk, just changing paths)

I also don't understand Chris Kites guide where he says "Edit config.sys to include only options for booting from cd". Not sure what he means re booting from the cd.

OK Alanoll I'd be very interested in that cause I have exhausted all avenues. :)

Kite was talkin about a normal 98 boot disk. In Config.sys, it contains all those boot menus you'd normally get like Boot with CDROM driver, no CDROM drivers and whatnot.

he meant, only include options to boot from CD.

I just made a single iso of 98se on its own did not boot properly by virtual pc complaining it could not find boot disk on drive d. I however burnt this to a cd it booted & went through setup no worries. It still has problems when booted from any other cd/dvd drive than "d". Is this specific to the era of 98se or am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else experienced the same problem surely there must be a way around this as I'm sure many of us have more than one cd or dvd drives?

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same error. What fixed for me was partitioning and formatting the C: drive before installation (al least, that's what worked in MSVM), after that Install of Win 98SE went smooth as a babies behind.

ArmyDoc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Can anyone help me out there with this problem with F...98SE, I have read all the message regarding 98SE in this forum.

I have read all between Mavericks & Alanoll with 98SE, I have to agree with Mavericks "Why don´t Flyakite get the manual updated" ??? No offence, but all us new users are doing all the same mistakes that you have done.

I really don´t get it why...!!!

okay, I have attach a picture of my boot in VMware, it don´t get past the dos mode, it hangs in the dos window, what am I doing wrong ???

jrm

Picture98Startup.zip

Picture98Startup.zip

you made the image of the bootdisk wrong. That's pretty much it. Somewhere along the way, it get screwed up.

Have you looked at my post about getting it working? The really long one?

As for the updating of the guide, flyakite hasn't really be around much anymore. Haven't seen him in a long time.

@Armydoc

I came to that same conclusion. It's the ramdrive and formating of C that screws everything up. Once your format C, all the letters change, and OEMSETUP.EXE doesn't change with it. SETUP.EXE works fine though. So my final recommendation is to avoid OEMSETUP.EXE and format using FDISK (you can script it I believe, or there is a version you can) and then continue with setup.

I found the fault, I have downladed the 98boot.IMG from your long message Alanoll and forgotten to change to setup.exe insted of oemsetup.exe so in the autoexec.bat in the image (98boot.img) was still pointing to oemsetup.exe "sorry for that".

But now an other problem I have read what you were writting about the formatting before actully starting the installation of 98SE - I don´t get it because you were not writting about VMware that I am using.

What do I do ???

I have attach a picture again and I thing this problem have something to do with the formatting or not ???

Thanks a lot for all you help regarding the Multi-Boot DVD

jrm

Picture98FollowUp.zip

Picture98FollowUp.zip

you need a FAT or FAT32 partition to install to.

Alot of people make the mistake that VMWare formats it for you. It doesn't. You must format it using fdisk, or partition magic or the like.

Treat the virtual system as a real one. You have to do EVERYTHING you do to a real system to the virtual one. That includes formating the "harddrive".

hehe

I've jsut tried installing Windows 98 on my main system (wanna play some old school games) and it doesn't like my hardware. Thankfully Microsoft included a good program to add drivers directly to the install in Windows 98, that's the next project.

I've solved the win 9x problem from the tutorial http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com

on my computer. i don't know if it works on your computers, but i think you should know it. :-)

At first I startet xfdisk to format(initialize) the harddrive. format the harddisk to Fat32. The homepage of xfdisk is

http://www.mecronome.de/xfdisk/

and then i changed the autoexe.bat

:EXT%RAMD%:\extract /y /e /l %RAMD%: ebd.cab > NULecho The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive %RAMD%.echo.LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001echo.clsecho Now installing Windows 95echo.echo Loading...path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%CDROM%:\BOOT\XFDDEXFDISK.EXE%CDROM%:cd Setup\95\Win95OEMSETUP.EXEecho.GOTO QUIT

the problem was :

path=....

it must be changed with cd.

I hope my solution is correct.^^

Moyyer

problem already solved. Atleast when using OEMSETUP.EXE

The thing is really stupid. You can do it two ways....

you could add /L:X at the end of your MSCDEX.EXE (first CDROM letter being X) so that your CDROM letter never changes, or format before.

@Armydoc

I came to that same conclusion. It's the ramdrive and formating of C that screws everything up. Once your format C, all the letters change, and OEMSETUP.EXE doesn't change with it. SETUP.EXE works fine though. So my final recommendation is to avoid OEMSETUP.EXE and format using FDISK (you can script it I believe, or there is a version you can) and then continue with setup.

some people just don't read. Thanks anyway. I also posted another way to do it, and there was discussion in the thread.

and actually PATH isn't the problem. though I should point out %CDROM% is never declared....MSCDEX.EXE doesn't assign it, atleast it shouldn't....

So in the end, the problem is in fact OEMSETUP.EXE. The whole page is about to be rewritten soon anyways.....