I need advice SOS! ASAP

AnthonyRomesh

Recently I have been working for long periods of time on my computer, especially online as I have BROADBAND, and I seem to be having problems with my system, a minor problem is with the Windows Media Player 9 XP, which fails to load, giving the error message: An Internal Error has Occured! Initially I believed that I deleted a DLL or a sub-program, so I removed the entire directory from it location in Program Files, including the WMP.dll driver which is stored in the root System32 directory. And downloaded it off the Microsoft Website, then reinstalled it.

The Installation was successful, but when I attempted to re-start the application it presented me with same Error!

So I thought System Restore might help, however the system restore application presents me a white blank rectangle in center of the screen.

Also in Windows XP the Search facility no longer gives me a frame on the side of the windows explorer window.

And finally, websites which use CGI and cookie-control, fail to initiate so I am presented with a blank page (no errors, or page cannot be displayed, does not come up!)

I sense that my system crashed day before, and scan disk may have deleted some dlls and files required for the applications to run properly.

Recently I have been working for long periods of time on my computer, especially online as I have BROADBAND, and I seem to be having problems with my system, a minor problem is with the Windows Media Player 9 XP, which fails to load, giving the error message: An Internal Error has Occured! Initially I believed that I deleted a DLL or a sub-program, so I removed the entire directory from it location in Program Files, including the WMP.dll driver which is stored in the root System32 directory. And downloaded it off the Microsoft Website, then reinstalled it.

The Installation was successful, but when I attempted to re-start the application it presented me with same Error!

So I thought System Restore might help, however the system restore application presents me a white blank rectangle in center of the screen.

Also in Windows XP the Search facility no longer gives me a frame on the side of the windows explorer window.

And finally, websites which use CGI and cookie-control, fail to initiate so I am presented with a blank page (no errors, or page cannot be displayed, does not come up!)

I sense that my system crashed day before, and scan disk may have deleted some dlls and files required for the applications to run properly.

:rolleyes:

Please explain your diagnosis and cure for this systems symptoms

:)

that will be great!

Anthony Romesh

do you have SP1 installed?

if so you will need to make a slipstreamed XP cd, its not hard.. see our guides pages.

if not (why not??) then you can use your normal XP CD.

Pop the XP CD in the drive and go to Start > Run

Type in sfc /scannow and then follow the prompts, it should replace the files that are damaged or missing and hopefully fix your problem.

I would recommend also to run through the installation again to replace missing and/or damaged files. What I would like to add is to make sure you backup everything that is important to you. I have had problems in the past running through the setup, I kept getting an error and it wouldn't go through. By that point, I could not get into the OS any longer. The files would still be retrievable, but it would be much easier to take care of it before hand. Rule of thumb is to backup files ANY time you do anything major with the OS, file system, or partitions.

Subcodec

Conatct your OEM system builder and ask for your Windows XP CD, they should provide you with it if you have a valid reason for wanting to not use their "oh so amazing" hidden drive partition and recovery CD's.

the amount of people whos hard disk must die and then they are stuck without an operating system CD to install on a replacement drive is amazing...

How about a recovey CDROM(s) which must have come with your pc? If it did not come with the pc then the neccessary software files may be stored in a hidden hard drive partition. Consult with a user guide of your pc about how to carry out system recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

Scan your box with latest updated ad-aware/Spybot S&D.

Install WMP9, reboot, uninstall WMP9. Edit sysoc.inf and remove al "hide: entries to view ALL add/remove program options. remove and reinstall WMP8.x.

run Windows Update. Install WMP9. run Windows Update again.

Locate a tool to recover/extract your license code and save it off on floppy/USB/CDR(W) and away from your PC.

Kill excess processes from your box

First save the run, runonce, runonceexe, runservices reg keys from

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

&

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

then remove entries for apps you don't use.