Windows PE and NForce2 based network chipsets

mephisto

Hi all!

I'm a newbie on Windows PE... n i'm just trying to add network drivers in my Custom CD... So i hav follow-up instructions to do that; i hav found theses files that may concern nic (the mobo is a MSI K7N2G):

nvenet.cat

jedih2rx.bin

ramsed.bin

jedireg.pat

nvenet.sys

nvenetxp.inf

so i've delete the .cat (not used, right?), and put the .sys into the system32\drivers folder, the .inf into the inf folder n all others in system32...

but when winPE load, it fail on Network Installer...

What is wrong?

PS: i already do that for a dlink nic and it was working fine so im wondering what is the pb...

• 2 weeks later...

Normally you can just do what is described in the PE documentation : put the files in the right place...but it seems it doesn't work as expected, it's not the first time someone has this problem.

I don't have the solution...but it's becoming a common issue :/

The problem is, that the location of files is uncertain. With most NIC drivers, you put the .INF file in I386\INF, the .SYS file in I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and all other files in I386\SYSTEM32.

But some drivers, like the nVidia or Intel NIC drivers, put the files in other locations.

What you can do to find the right locations, is install Windows, install the NIC, and search the files. Write down where the files are found, and put them in the same location on the WinPE CD.

This works almost all the time, I only have a problem with the new nForce3-250 chipset.

• 2 weeks later...

'Twould seem the Intel 100/1000 driver is stubborn to installation using the normal "put files here" method. I even created an installation capture on "regular" XP SP1 using WinInstall LE 2003 to note file locations, and I had all the files in the same locations (except the INF files which got renamed to OEM1.INF and OEM2.INF). One thing I saw was that in regular XP SP1, which recognized the card, it was originally using the E1000NT5.SYS driver.

I switched to a build of MS PE created from Server 2003 instead of WinXP SP1, and the Pro/1000 XT in my test system was recognized right away. That eliminates the problem, but doesn't answer the question of why XPSP1-PE didn't load the E1000325.INF file.

The native 2003 file that loads support is NETE1000.INF. The only file listed in the [e1000.CopyFiles] section is e1000325.sys,,,2 - don't know if that "2" refers to the [WinntDirectories] value of "2" = system32, but the driver is only in the DRIVERS folder.

I'm going to try using the Win2003 INF/SYS in a WinXP SP1 PE and see what happens. Ve let you know.

-syrynxx

I have that Intel driver working in XP PE.

Couldn't get it to work in the beginning, gave up in the end.

Later, I created a new revision of PE for some other card (without removing the Intel NIC files) and to my surprise, the Intel NIC worked, and it still does several PE revision further.......

I am playing with XP PE SP2 RC1 at the moment, and it has a new tool to inject drivers into PE (before creating the ISO). I think this tool also works with the current PE, as it only copies the files to the right locations.

I'd like to supply the file to you, but I think that violates the copyrights...

am trying to do the same thing with my "marvell yukon" the dir includes some htm, dll and the cat

after deleting those i remain with the

yukonwxp.inf

yukonwxp.sys

so i put those in

system32\inf

system32\driver

and then it should boot ? or am i forgetting something here

The Marvel Yukon is a tricky card.

yukonwxp.inf -> \I386\INF

yukonwxp.sys -> I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

gewmi.mof -> I386\SYSTEM32\WBEM\MOF (create the directory!)

mrvdlg.dll -> I386\SYSTEM32

I couldn't get this one to work at first, but I placed the gewmi.mof file in the wrong dir.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had all these problems too for Intel Pro/1000 XT booting with winpe xpsp2. This worked for me!

For .iso, copy these to

sytem32:

31000325.din, e1000msg.dll, IntelNic.dll and Prounstl.exe

Drivers:

e1000325.sys

INF:

oem2.inf

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

drvinst anyone?

Or just build your source with /pnp and put the .inf files in i386\INF, .sys files in i386\System32\drivers and that's it. pnp detect will do the rest for you when factory.exe runs.