nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

very nice program :rolleyes: great work :)

i have one suggestion how about a progress bar that will show the overall progress of the process and perhaps the remaining time :D

@ZuluDC, don't worry, i'm always opened for good ideas, as you can see past few days i wasn't working on nLite anything seriusly because i didn't have the time but this sunday i had too much time :rolleyes:

I think that german problem is solved, but i can't guarantee it, i just corrected what you stated because it was different that the others in the code, my bad

@Outer, yes, that's my wish too, maybe only progress bar :)

@evilvoice, sorry evilvoice :D, i forgot to mention that beta 4 is out

Hmmm, i see you have sp2 integration, what would it take to integrate all hotfixes, not the ones we have now as most of the hotfixes we install will be replaced by sp2, but with the new /integrate switch, couldnt you write maybe a small batch file that will integrate all those, or for people that dont wanna upgrade to sp2 (for various reasons) a way to integrate through your tool would be great.

Eeerrrrhm, doesnt a tool already do this, like xpcreate, id hate to step on toes of people...if it doesnt, then maybe we could include it...or if you wanted, you could ask the maker of that portion for his support and see if he will allow it to be added

Hmmm, dosnet.inf is a beast to read after applying nlite, is there anyway you could NOT remove the spaces that seperate headers? same with txtsetup.sif

Ok another thing...I noticed that within the I386 folder there are many KBD files, Im assuming most of these correspond to languages, is there any reason why after removing the languages, these arent removed?

evilvoice, new hotfixes integration, another great idea today. That won't be a problem, going to implement it when pre-sp3 hotfixes starts to come out.

For older hotfixes you have XPCreate and i wouldn't take it's functionality because it works just fine.

About spaces within files...ok, no problem, i was just waiting to see if somebody will mind.

KBD files, it will be all removable when i make Language support more configurable, for now leave it, it's not big at all

edit:Famer, when i don't get any bug reports for a week or two

thank you...and btw it wasnt a big deal about beta4, just I need to get in the habit of checking the very first thread from now on...I notice most people make the first thread the one that contains the programs and updates...so I do need to get in the habit of checking it.

I think an option for custom files is really neat, something like FILESCD folder in xpcreate: it copies the contents of that folder into cd source, overwriting previous files. That way people who want their own uxtheme.dll/shell32.dll/etc can easily do so.

another thing - can you make the log file in the folder that nlite.exe resides? I dont like it when it gets on my cd.

otherwise very useful app, thanks alot :)

On the startpanel the bug with the 'ö' is away :)

In the registry, they are still there. I can see this very good under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Appearance/Schemes...

'ö' shown as '÷'

'ü' shown as '³'

double ss and the big Ö shown as a square (i don't find the ASCII :rolleyes: )

The same problem is visible under Services.

i personally don't like the FILESCD idea. It's just one more thing to debug when something goes wrong.

If all it's to do is to copy over the files, then you can do it yourself. Then press the Make ISO button.

@gandalfgrey, ok adding files section will be added but only because some people don't know how to use $OEM$ and stuff, i will make it so you just drag and drop files in certain sections like System32, Windows root and so on.

Log taken care of. Thanks for ideas.

@ZuluDC, great, you know why, because i know where the problem is, now only thing i need to do is to correct encoding of hives

@Alanoll, i'll do it only because of neat $OEM$ rutine

Did some serious face lifting on next version, you are going to like it :)

After doing some reading it seems the assumtion of a .Net compiler is wrong. As far as i can tell the only tools which come close is here

http://www.remotesoft.com/

Which basically pacakge the Program required .Net framework files into a .exe file

However this tools is not free, and according to website it will only have a trial version in Mid may....

Orginally i was planning to write a similar tools as nlite in Java. But you beat me to it. ^^