nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

Most of my program is chinese version or named in chinese. So I keep "Chinese Simplified & multilanguage support(LANG dir)" and remove the others.

After XP startup, I set every thing to "China" in "Regional And Language Options". In full version XP. Everything will work fine with such configuration. But in the lite version, most program can't display chinese "Every program's Title bar" and some program's other components.

A typical sample as follow picture. Please advice.

post-70-1084953928_thumb.jpg

post-70-1084953928_thumb.jpg

Most of my program is chinese version or named in chinese. So I keep "Chinese Simplified & multilanguage support(LANG dir)" and remove the others.

I got it :)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FontAssoc\Associated DefaultFonts]

"AssocSystemFont"="simsun.ttc"

"FontPackage"="Chinese Word"

"FontPackageDontCare"="Chinese Word"

"FontPackageRoman"="Chinese Word"

"FontPackageSwiss"="Chinese Word"

"FontPackageModern"="Chinese Word"

"FontPackageScript"="Chinese Word"

"FontPackageDecorative"="Chinese Word"

The "chinese word" is a kind of font named in chinese. But in my lite XP became unreadable. So I think intl.inf still not a REAL unicode file.

@nuhi

Could you take a look?

After creating a new useraccount i have to reboot so that switching can successfully done...

The fresh start of the computer let me switch but the first time to log out from an account to another takes really some time and only a blue screen (not a crash oder BSOD or something else...only a blue colored screen with absolutly nothing on it...no icons...) looks on me for some time but then it goes on and all seems to work.

@Jazz, going to check that FastUser switch bug

@mrmx, ok, so that and "German" bug are the same, stay put for updates tomorrow, today i'm kinda busy

I'm steps away from removing Language Support, it's not reducing much but causes most problems

@ZuluDC, so it's related to Fast User switching bug ? It's ok, that component needs ordering, it's one of those made with least love, there is nothing that you people don't see :)

edit: The component i'm refering to is Remote Desktop, don't select it, and user switching problem will probably go away

I never have worked with fast user switching (..you can all call me a noob...i can life with it :) )

If i see it right it has to be activated in 'useraccounts' by the admin. The attached picture shows an alert that says something like: "The fast user switching can not be taken because offlinefiles are in the moment activated. Click on 'OK' for making changes on the adjustment of 'offlinefolders'

post-70-1084963516_thumb.jpg

post-70-1084963516_thumb.jpg

I can set the checkbox on '1' and click on 'Remember my choice' but infact it does not hold my choice. Every time i come new into this window the checkbox is not activated.

Clicking on '2' brings me the plain white window.

post-70-1084963877_thumb.jpg

post-70-1084963877_thumb.jpg

@bonedaddy, i will slow down, it is still in beta and i'm acting like it's 1.0 and the world depends on it :rolleyes:

About the other stuff, hush, hush, yes it is, off for some candy :)

@ZuluDC, (me writes down, terminal services, offline files, character bugs, fast user switch) Probably all due to Terminal Services (except characters, which are unicode bug)

I don't think that we see all but i have seen some small things more. :)

C:/windows/web holds a website if Active Desktop does crash. I think Setup can delete the files tips.gif and tip.htm (useless?) if it is set in nlite to remove Wallpaper and this things (if possible for you). For the other files (folder 'printers' and related.htm i am not sure if it is a good idea to delete it).

Then i have seen that calc.chm, calc.hlp, comexp.chm and comexp.hlp are still in the 'Help' folder under C:/WINDOWS. I have activated nlite to delete the help-files. Is this perhaps by XP-Setup self that they still exists?

Anyway...just very small thing...it is nearly splitting hairs when i list it....not important...just say it to make you more confused nuhi :rolleyes:

No!No! Just a joke! :D

Take it easy nuhi. Excellent tool & great work. If language-selection brings only sleepless nights and endless work kick it. It is your life and your tool. We have to be happy with what we become, and what we see is more then cool!

The component i'm refering to is Remote Desktop, don't select it, and user switching problem will probably go away

Awesome, now u speak ! i was waiting for the official announcement..

Well anyways figured that out after 5 instals in vmware :)

Lol, next time i'll think of waiting..

Bye,

Jazz

used version 4 last nite. got cd down to 295mb

@nuhi I have a request.

I was thinking about making my first AIO CD using nLite to reduce the size of the cd. But could this be added to the features of nLite to chose 2 or 3 folders of reduced xp and or add BartPE or WinPE then make 1 bootable cd that will let you choose to start ether on the install using something like Gosh's AIO part 2 so that we can change or put a custom diskemu.cmd in the folder. (like we do to the winnt.sif)

Guessing this will be a few weeks work. but I will be happy to test it out.

I would go for on my cd so that I can use it at work:

1) bartpe

2) XP PRO SP1

3) XP PRO SP1 unattended.

I can't say that these would all fit on because it depends on what is removed.

Well thanks for this great app Nuhi and congratz on your birthday :rolleyes::)

I seem to be having some minor problems with shutting down my windows with the "nLite version". Maybe it's only my pc but maybe someone else is having the same prob, when I press shut down computer it takes a whole lot of time before the choise menu pops up. My desktop goes entirely black (frankly i don't mind that) but after that I can't click anything... So nothing but a reset is left for me.

Also, after slipstreaming I know there are a few files that are missing (the iac25_32.ax etc... If you throw those in after trimming down your boot cd, it does include them in the iso right?

Also, after slipstreaming I know there are a few files that are missing (the iac25_32.ax etc... If you throw those in after trimming down your boot cd, it does include them in the iso right?

No, that's the point. txtsetup.sif references them but they AREN'T there. It's up to MS to fix the bug and they're working on it.