nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

going alittle overboard aren't we?

XPCreate I know does Hotfixes and RAID drivers.

As for applications, I believe nuhi said he was implementing a FILESCD type thing like XPCreate.

But WMP9 and MM2? What about DX9? I bet you could wait the 1.5 months till SP2 comes out. It's supposed to ship with those.....

I totaly agree with this!nlite is made to slipstream and remove stuff-I think nuhi mean this with his software.So let's stay this way and nuhi made really good job and I hope that he made this software to work with future sp to and maybae he can add more stuff to remove :) not to add stuff.It's more important that nlite work without errors and we have windows xp like we wish!For add stuff and hotfixes is another one software- UnattendXP Project from my friend maxxpsoft-hi is member of this board to,so you can try it! :rolleyes:

Cheers!

http://maxxpsoft.com/

@RyanVM, :rolleyes: no, i'm not, actually I may fail some exams but i can do them on the summer

Reason why I can respond to this forum so often is because on my college we have computers all over the place and I just log on now and then.

Do you believe me that I'm controlling myself, workaholic

@bonedaddy, great !

@homiebrah, hmm, it should work, try reinstalling Framework or something

Or wait and try new version tomorrow

@ZuluDC, staying on topic just in case, aren't we :)

@Stinger12348, well, maybe i would if there is no sp2 which have all these integrated, maybe you're waiting for final, that's ok...glad you like it

@Alanoll, you're right, giving up on $oem$ stuff, long time passed since i inserted another component for removal

@Rudi1, ok, i'll stick to mine side of the yard, going to put myself in making profiles (for people who wants to safely remove stuff), more components, win2k and win2k3 support

@Alanoll, you're right, giving up on $oem$ stuff, long time passed since i inserted another component for removal
Ya know, it just dawned on me the title of the thread :). And another reasons peopel really shouldn't ask for ways to add stuff like a FILESCD folder.
"Windows XP Reduction Tool"

Kinda defeats the nature of a removal tool, if you want it to add stuff too.

Ok, to lay done a little bit more productivity then making some nice handstands and a smiling face... :)

Do i see it right that setting the checkbox 'Images and Backgrounds' under 'Multimedia' kills the folder Wallpaper and the Pattern (-pictures). So why not delete then the (useless¿) registry-entrys:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pattern (HIVEDEF.INF):

HKCU,"Control Panel\Patterns","%50_GRAY%",0x00000002,"170 85 170 85 170 85 170 85"

HKCU,"Control Panel\Patterns","%WEAVE%",0x00000002,"136 84 34 69 136 21 34 81"

Screensaver (HIVEDEF.INF)::

HKCU,"Control Panel\Screen Saver.3DFlyingObj",,0x00000012

HKCU,"Control Panel\Screen Saver.Stars","WarpSpeed",0x00000002,"10"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhabs it is going to width if i ask:

Checkboxes for....

Schemes (HIVEDEF..INF) ...one checkbox:all or nothing (exept 'WINDOWS STANDARD' & 'WINDOWS CLASSIC')

timezones (HIVEFST.INF)...everyone checkable

EXPLORER_TIPS (HIVEFST.INF)...one checkbox:all or nothing

AppEvents\EventLabels (HIVEDEF.INF)...one checkbox:all or nothing (perhabs it will be good to let life LOW_BATTERY_ALARM & CriticalBatteryAlarm because of notebooks...so HIVEUSD.INF can be untouched)?

Yes...i know...i am really boring. Not one sentence about a founded bug for helping to make nLite perfect, just some small..."oh, that would be nice" and "Yeah! I like that". But what should i say then i think i have listed in my posts above all faults that i have found till now.

Finally this post of mine talks about parts of what i change in the .inf after building and should only seen as an idea. Nothing above is important...really not. If it comes to the registry everyone has it own tweaks and it could come to an real endless story. So it makes the most sense to talk about deleting of regitry-entrys that are directly in relationship with a checkbox in nlite (Screensaver/Pattern/EventLabels).

Every Byte that can be deleted and will not be missed is a good Byte :rolleyes:

@ZuluDC, with what i said to you about staying on the topic i meant that you don't need to compliment me just to say hi to a friend, just say hi :)

Now about your idea, yes, i need to cleanup the reg, that's for sure, thanks for noting it, not boring at all, to me it's just putting "Control Panel\Patterns" and "Control Panel\Screen Saver" to a filter and they are all gone

When I try to remove infrared componment. The windows setup report follow file can't be find:

iac25_32.axir41_32.axir41_ac.dllir41_acx.dllir50_32.dllir50_ac.dllir50_acx.sllirfsrv.ax

Looks like nLite forget remove entry in txtsetup.sif

Why not creating an .INI file with the choosen options ? So, it will be easier to rerun nLite if something went wrong :D

Great soft :rolleyes:

ps: displaying xx% instead of xx.xx% will be faster (in VB6, displaying someting in the status bar is much much slower; but I know, it is not written in VB6 :))

When I try to remove infrared componment. The windows setup report follow file can't be find:
iac25_32.ax

ir41_32.ax

ir41_ac.dll

ir41_acx.dll

ir50_32.dll

ir50_ac.dll

ir50_acx.sll

irfsrv.ax

I'm betting you're using SP2 as well, aren't you. If you are, it's a bug with that. If you aren't, then I don't know :).

EDIT: I'm serious about that being a bug. Others of us have reproduced it when slipstreaming SP2. It's mentioned in the SP2 Bugs thread in the WindowsXP Forum.

Hi nuhi

I like the concept of keeping this a portal

for reduction only, perhaps just the reg cleaning

you are going to attend to and as mentioned

earlier, more control of what is deleted. For

instance my wife has to have the dinosaur cursor, I

really don't want much else there. Well you get the idea.

thanks

bonedaddy

@RyanVM, that's nice to hear, now i'm remembering it too, it's not infra red, it's some kind of intel codecs !

@bonedaddy, oo i see, it seems like in the near future there is going to be automatic tree with every installed option in inf automatically generated :)

That won't be so hard, maybe a week or so

iac25_32.ax

ir41_32.ax

ir41_ac.dll

ir41_acx.dll

ir50_32.dll

ir50_ac.dll

ir50_acx.sll

irfsrv.ax

Yes, those would be the indeo codecs. I believe they are in SP1 and not SP1A. (You did not believe JVM was really the only difference, did you?)

@bonedaddy: If you are going to lay it out like poetry, at least make it rhyme! I mean, what's up with all that white space? Seriously, I have trouble connecting sentences over paragraphs, but I'm like that.

@nuhi: Looks like you got a winner here. I haven't tried it out, because I am too busy making my XP CD bigger, but you sure have woken the natives! If you need some advice on crowd control, let me know! (And mostly, keep up the good work.)

iac25_32.ax

ir41_32.ax

ir41_ac.dll

ir41_acx.dll

ir50_32.dll

ir50_ac.dll

ir50_acx.sll

irfsrv.ax

Yes, those would be the indeo codecs. I believe they are in SP1 and not SP1A. (You did not believe JVM was really the only difference, did you?)

Yeah, they're gone from SP2 as well, but I think the installer forgets to remove the corresponding txtsetup.sif entries when slipstreaming :)

Oh well, I've already submitted the bug report on it, so hopefully it gets fixed.

That actually goes to confirm my suspicion. I can tell you for fact that the newer builds of SP2 are the only ones to exhibit this behavior (2096 and 2120 - 2055 and 2080 didn't). I can also tell you for fact that for sure build 2096 (RC1) does NOT have those files in it (as in, I extracted the exe and searched for them - including within the CAB files). My guess is either they meant to include them (hence the txtsetup.sif references to them) and somehow the files got lost from the distribution some time between builds 2080 and 2096, or they meant to remove them (hence the missing files) but forgot to remove their corresponding txtsetup.sif entries upon doing so. The latter seems more plausible to me since I don't know how files would just "disappear" from a release.