nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

i am unsure though if its fitting to ask it here, but what setting under nLite should I not check for me to preserve the part of Windows installation where it loads some animation and asks me who wants to use the computer? thanks. :)

Thanks guys, i'm glad it's working.

@iwod, yes, i think i saw it too, going to check it later

@edmoncu, Out of Box Experience under Experimental and maybe Tours and Help

New version uploaded, beta 3, changelog:

- fixed missing fonts

- added exclude file list box, now you can add files which to keep

- removed Force Driver Recompression, automated, thanks to RyanVM

- added basic tooltips

- adapted to sp2 2126, they changed something about ie requiring au.inf if autoupdate is removed

- removed BITS service from Network Optional Components because new Windows Update site requires it

- some cosmetic tweaks

@nuhi, my apologies for keeping this one up, im still kinda confused with this:

before that, i would like to congratulate you at creating and enhancing nLite so much! :) its been very wonderful using your creation! :rolleyes:

onto my question. under the experimental>mdac... its stated at the last part of the description you made that:

Remove only if newer version is installed after Windows.

does it mean that if i install the Q832483.exe (mdac update) thru svcpack.inf after i remove under nLite will install the updated mdac? or should i still need this to be unchecked under nLite?

thanks so much. :D

edmoncu, that's only a patch, not a full version od MDAC.

I thought about removing MDAC option, but if someone wan't to play how small it can get and still operational then it's ok to put something in Experimental.

Making directx option too, but I won't use it, like I always skip Management Instrumentation and MDAC.

@CuBie, no it's not, it may be when i get bored with it in couple of years :rolleyes:

@evilvoice, why don't you try it on some kind of virtual pc and let us know, or if you can wait i'll test it in a few days

@venim, wasn't ment to work on anything else than Xp, but 2k3 adaptation will be 1 days work so expect it soon.

I may need to bend few laws to test all those Windows version :)

Some suggestions:

Maybe is better to run a change case tool on the files and change them all to uppercase. That procedure is also done in XPCreate and is needed because it may create some bad iso's.

About sfc_os.dll: you use the same dll for all the xp version's? i don't think its the same, at least in the last sp2 versions

Another thing: add uxtheme.dll hack to the package

Make an option to add or not your winnt.sif to the i386 dir

Maybe create some profiles like minimal, recommended and complete

Let the user change the cdimage arguments

Keep the good work!

@nuhi,

Once again, great tool. I actually used it this time- one suggestion, add an option to remove the DOTNETFX folder (in root of CD) because that folder is 32 megs and comes with some Windows XP cds.

Also, according to jdeboeck, it is safe to delete the DRW folder in I386.

Keep up the great work! :rolleyes:

XPCD is now 134 megs. :)

There seems still to be a bug in german version with the 'ö'. In Registry it is sometimes replaced through '³' or '÷'. In startpanel is a entry called 'Zubehör'. I think in english versions it is called 'Accessoires' but i am not sure. *boah...my english is terribly limited*. nlite makes then 2 entrys. One is like it should be (Zubehör), the other one is 'Zubehr'. It has put there only one entry, the Icon that links to calc.exe. Someone has stollen the 'ö' *rofl*

This was tested like always in VMWare with a 148MB-Iso *huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu*

What to say more?

nlite getting better with every version....respect! respect!...it is a work of a genius....

Ohhhhh! If you go along with this tool nuhi, then i think the nlite v.3.0 final generate an XP-Iso that will fit on a floppy-disk :):D:D:rolleyes:

@kalavera,

-thanx for the advice, i'll upcase them

-sfc_os.dll, trust me, this one works, ask anyone.

Point is to disable sfc, this version has the necessary file start and that's all we need for windows to figure out it's disabled.

-uxtheme.dll, thought about it but it's too big and changes all the time, it's not universal like sfc and generic like oobe. Maybe one day ill make it generic but i doubt i could

-winnt.sif is only copied if there is none, it will not overwrite yours

It's needed because you can get some unsigned drivers questions if there is no line to ignore driver signature, and dllcache is disabled through it, that also is unnecessary big chunk of windows after installation

-profiles...GREAT idea

-cdimage attributes, it's allready on todo list, it's no big deal, thanx for posting

@Datalore, i missed DOTNETFX directory, going to put it in allready existing Framework optional component, thank you

Whoa, judging from the size you hate ms :)

edit:

@Famer, winxp and win2k3 are much more similiar than it's xp/2k so that's why i can make it fast...win2k in the near future, my friend is lending me his copy tomorrow, i won't use that windows version so i guess it's not that illegal

@ZuluDC, thanx for that bug and compliments :rolleyes:

It's obvious i need to get german windows

I think best would be to have first an eye on the most taken english version. Perhabs better to not having directly a too good heart and willing to kill every bug in every language-version of XP. The day has only 24 hours. :rolleyes:

When such great tools like yours are coming to the world and it is possible to 'speak' directly to it's creator....there coming masses of people with endless wishes...hopefully not to much feets are rolling over you. :)

...so i hope too that there will be some time for you over just to close the eyes and sleep. You have done a very impressing great work!