Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

nLite - Windows reduction tool

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

Markymoo

Markymoo

Junior

• Pip
  • 79 posts
I used XPCreate to update all critical updates into xp sp1 which resulted in 610mb

I then run nLite removing all same components as mentioned in the first post and resulted in i386 dir being 270mb. Bigger of course this time because of updates included. An increase of 100mb. Installed iso and installed without a hitch. All selected components removed. :)

Used gosh's method of slimming down further it didnt make it any smaller. This must be due to the updates needed.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,343 posts
@Alanoll, you don't even have installed Framework by default, now that's personal :)

@XtremeMaC, good, i'll contact you when program proves stable

@Markymoo, better think nLite, expecially Manual Install option, it removes everything what's not needed if you boot from cd (same as gosh's method but all i did was parsing mdmssys.inf, and of course keeping some of listed files)

There is a forbiden files list, i take those by reading all files in corelist.inf and some manual entries to prevent nLite from deleting crucial files.
http://www.nliteos.com | http://www.vlite.net
Remove components and customize Windows

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,343 posts
@hinet, I looked into your problem, and it's not in deleted file, it's in a way of reading files, it corrupts some Asian characters.
I'm solving it right now, found myself a Chinese text and replicated problem.

So, for the time being, nLite is not working with Asian languages, test only on English copies.
Going to solve this one, don't worry.

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
WOW! This looks incredible! :)
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

Jedi82

Jedi82

• PipPip
  • 191 posts
sorry nuhi, i installed your lovely program but...but i receive this message-->

Select folder with Windows XP installation
Calculating size...Done
D:\Documents and Settings\Jedi82\Desktop\XPCD\ (403MB) (i have on my HD)
Windows XP SP1 detected (5.1.2600.1106)
Recommended to slipstream SP2
Choose Slipstream on bottom left
or configure existing version

so if i click on slipstream he ask to find an exe file but..i don't know the file, what's his name???
:) I'm an italian newbie, so please be patient:)

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
You need to have the downloaded SP2 exe file.
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

sorry nuhi, i installed your lovely program but...but i receive this message-->

Select folder with Windows XP installation
Calculating size...Done
D:\Documents and Settings\Jedi82\Desktop\XPCD\  (403MB) (i have on my HD)
Windows XP SP1 detected (5.1.2600.1106)
Recommended to slipstream SP2
Choose Slipstream on bottom left
or configure existing version

so if i click on slipstream he ask to find an exe file but..i don't know the file, what's his name???

unless you want to slipstream it with xpsp2 and you have the xpsp2 network redistributable installer, then that will be the file you'll be choosing, otherwise, just click on start and it will just trim the contents in your folder (based on the checklist you enabled to be removed):

D:\Documents and Settings\Jedi82\Desktop\XPCD\
Please join the growing Filipino Community of PC Experts and Enthusiasts
Posted Image

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
I don't think SP2 integration works properly. I selected the EXE and it extracted the files, but the directory still shows only the SP1 files. There's no .SP2 in the root or anything.

Also, it would be a really cool feature if you did the integrating of SP1.cab and SP2.cab into drivers.cab. That'll shave off a good 20+MB as well.

dtmunir

dtmunir

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
oh my god oh my god oh my GAAAAAAWD!!!
this is AMAZING!!!
where hv u been hiding nuhi....ur first release and WAT a classic!
absolutely beautiful my man....
i havnt tried it, but belive me, the day my A levels end....im gettin right onto this thing!!! :):D thumbs up to u pal!

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,343 posts
@Jedi82, as edmoncu allready explained, just select what you want to remove and click Start. Slipstream is only if you downloaded service pack and want to integrate it into your installation before reduction.

@RyanVM, it is merging those cabs allready because it was easier and more economic, why recompress 2 files when you can put all in one.
About slipstream, you're right, i was changing atributes to suite both sp1 and sp2 but forgot to include sp2..thanx, will fix it together with multilanguage support.

@dtmunir, thanx :)

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
Then why is sp1.cab still there afterwards?

EDIT: Also, are you using makecab to recompress the cab files? If so, you can increase the compression ratio by using LZX compress. Just put /D CompressionType=LZX into the command line to enable it. It tends to take 15-20% off standard LZ compression and it decompresses faster according to MS.

Test Zero

Test Zero

Junior

• Pip
  • 55 posts
Seems like a decent app. :)

I'll test it next time I reinstall Windows (when I get my new hard drive, probably).

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
nuhi, a couple of uhhmm, questions. :)

do you have some sort of a translation of what a component does (if its removed)? i am basing the components you listed thru jdeboeck's tutorial. i wonder if i am on the right track with these. there are some components that i am unsure of removing (like service pack messages), but i kinda look at em as non essential stuffs.

also, under the experimental, if ever i am to choose to delete mdac, will the mdac i am installing later thru runonceex.cmd (or svcpack.inf) be ignored since i assume that there's no mdac to update? i really got no much idea if its safe to remove all the items in the experimental section. :D

i hope you wont mind if im asking too much. :rolleyes: :D
Please join the growing Filipino Community of PC Experts and Enthusiasts
Posted Image

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,343 posts
@RyanVM, I was wrong, it was long directory name issue.
I fixed it, will be uploading after test installation.
Try to put files in c:\xpcd for example, should work then.
Thanks for compression tips, integration under way.

@Test Zero, I hope we will eliminate every bug until then :)
(Don't forget to download new version)

edit: @edmoncu, well yes, i should make more extensive help, but you know how those things works, help last
In essence component is a component, you can relate to jdeboeck's web page, it's excellent

edit2: @RyanVM, and make sure to select at least one driver option, or else it will not touch the cabs

hoTy3k

hoTy3k

localhost

• 23 posts
nice tool ... work great :)

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts

edit2: @RyanVM, and make sure to select at least one driver option, or else it will not touch the cabs

Interesting. I guess that's an idea for future improvements then :).

Jedi82

Jedi82

• PipPip
  • 191 posts

You need to have the downloaded SP2 exe file.

what's that file?? Can i download it in italian language?? It's a nice update or i can leave it alone?

@Jedi82, as edmoncu allready explained, just select what you want to remove and click Start. Slipstream is only if you downloaded service pack and want to integrate it into your installation before reduction.

But i did it long time ago with the sp1, it's right??

Then, i eliminate ISDN drivers, 200MB lost, wowwwww, it's dangerous????

R600

R600

• PipPip
  • 219 posts
That blue screen looks familiar. :)
just kidding.

I had one when I slipstreamed SP1 to XP... gave a blue screen saying "Locale for United Kingdom not recognised" or something like that.
Main Comp
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2100+ | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7VRX | RAM: 768MB DDR PC2700 | HDD: 80GB IBM Deskstar | GFX: Inno3D GF4 Ti4200 128MB | Audio: Creative Audigy Platinum Ex | Speakers: Creative Inspire 5500
Windows XP Pro

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
@Jedi

you slipstreamed SP1. But the program is telling you it is RECOMMENDED not NECCESARY to slipstream SP2. You can leave it at SP1 and it will be fine.

Define dangerous. If there are drivers taht could concievably be needed later on, then maybe. Otherwise no worries.

Also, you don't need multiple ?'s. One will get the point across that it's a question
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Jedi82

Jedi82

• PipPip
  • 191 posts
i got an error:

vga850.fon..what is this^

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,343 posts
@edmoncu, you edited your post so here is the answer on second part.
Service Pack Messages are safe to delete. MDAC i wouldn't recommend removing it until new full version is released to replace present one.

@RyanVM, i think of it as an advantage because you can run nLite multiple times without needlesly recompressing drivers, but the idea stands...there is a new option, "Force Drivers Recompression".

@R600, don't select any of the Language Support options and try again with new version.

@Jedi82, same as for R600...next time look into nlite.log file, search for missing file and see for yourself what you selected but shouldn't have.

@hinet, try beta2 and paste any problems translated in English.
And if someone else has Chinese version to test it (without selecting any Language Support option for starters)

edit: Updated - beta2 posted, check header thread

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts

@RyanVM, i think of it as an advantage because you can run nLite multiple times without needlesly recompressing drivers, but the idea stands...there is a new option, "Force Drivers Recompression".

Nah, what I'm saying could be done through a simple IF statement. The program checks for sp1.cab and sp2.cab and if it finds them, it does expanding/combining/recompressing into driver.cab. If it doesn't see them, it doesn't bother.

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
Also, will there be any negative effects from using a different version of SFC_OS.dll than the rest of the files (say I integrate a newer SP2 build than what's currently available to the general public)? It seems to me that there's a potential liability there. Of course, when SP2 goes final, you could simply have RTM, SP1, and SP2 versions of the file and which one gets copied depends on which version of XP is detected.

GrimSage

GrimSage

• 46 posts
I suggest you add a tooltip or something saying how safe something would generally be to delete. Like the games would be safe. And something like different drivers would be dangerous or if one is need by another. Lie OE is needed if you plan to install Outlook (at least I think it is).
Also I dont know how hard it would be but maybe the ability to select different drivers to remove. LIke say I want the HP ones to stay since I have everything HP but I dont need canon ones.

Just some thoughts

shadowfla

shadowfla

• 32 posts
hey man nuhi great tool

i tried using it on my win xp professinal sp1a integrated files

and it decompressed all drivers, cos when i go into the folder where winxp is, i see a massive 300mb drivers folder, but the problem is i think it hangs halfway, i dont think its recompressing them or something like that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN